Thread: Thecus servers and Seagate firmware problems

Thanks

Thecus servers and Seagate firmware problems

For those of you who don't know, Seagate has major firmware problems with almost all of its newer drives:

hxxp://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207931
    hxxp://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/01/21/0052236

I have two Thecus 5200BR systems, one with firmware 2.00.10 and the other with 2.00.14. The 2.00.10 system has 5 Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST3750330NS drives, and the 2.00.14 system has 5 Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000340AS drives.

All 10 of the drives are affected by the Seagate firmware problem, so I would like to update them. Before I do that, I want to know whether the Thecus RAID will reject the updated drives as "new" drives, meaning that I'll have to rebuild each RAID 5 times in order to do the update, or whether the RAID system does not consider firmware version when deciding whether a drive "belongs" to a particular RAID volume or not.

And a related question: I know Thecus says to back up RAID data before updating the Thecus 5200 firmware, but that's not realistic for me to do, though I would like to update my servers to 2.00.15 - have people had good experiences with updating firmware without backing up, or have people lost RAID volumes when updating the Thecus 5200 firmware?

Thank you for the help,
    kevlarlover

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Thecus servers and Seagate firmware problems

( I would suggest replacing drives instead of updating firmwares. Seagates proved to be faulty. Esspecially the 1.5T drives. Even if the do work for a small preiod of time, the always come up with bad sectors and after a while will become useless leaving your data unprotected. Go for another more reliable brand, maybe WD or other)

Thanks

Re: Thecus servers and Seagate firmware problems

I have 2 5200's and a 7700.

They have Seagate 750GB,1TB and 1.5TB installed

On the 750GB I've never had any issues, the 1TB drives show 2 relocated sectors on 3 drives.

I updated the firmware on the 1.5TB before they went in the 7700 and they are all error free so far.

I will be moving to WD though as so far they are first with 2TB drives

Thread Information