Thread: RAID1 Degraded - N2200

Thanks

RAID1 Degraded - N2200

Hi

I needed to temporarily borrow one of my hard drives out of my N2200. No problem I thought, its RAID1 so I'll just put it back when I am finished and the RAID will automatically rebuild. When I reinstalled the drive it had no data or partitions on it. I turned on the NAS and got one long continuous beep. I thought this can't be good. I went into the admin GUI and it said the RAID was degraded! So I checked the manual and it states that "if the administrator improperly removes a hard disc that should not be removed when RAID status is degraded, all data will be lost". So I am getting a little worried now, I needn't have. All I had to do was go into the RAID config screen and changed the ticked box from "spare" to "used" for the empty drive, then the automatic rebuild started. It took quite a few hours but all my data is there. I could even access it before the rebuild completed. The couldn't find this procedure in the manual. It just says replace the hard drive and the system automatically recognises the new hard disk and starts the auto-rebuild sequence. I would have appreciated this info in the manual, however I am thrilled to not have lost any data.

Thanks

Re: RAID1 Degraded - N2200

this is the cool thing about RAID 1 and hot swap. something worng with 1 hard drive, just take it out and insert a new one. on the admin UI, tick spare and it starts to the rebuild process. don't need to worry about data loss.
    my N5500 is even better. just insert the new hard drive and automatically start to rebuild, no need to go to UI. HAHA

Thread Information