Thread: Thecus N2100 and Tvix 6500A, Sony PS3, LinkTheater

Registered+
    Thanks

Thecus N2100 and Tvix 6500A, Sony PS3, LinkTheater

I have a Thecus N2100 with the Thecus Media Server module installed. I use a Tvix 6500A, Sony PS3, and Buffalo LinkTheater as my network media players and a Mac running EyeTV as my PVR for ATSC programming. My goal is to export videos recorded by EyeTV to the N2100 and play those videos with the 6500, PS3 and LinkTheater. I can export MPEG files to the 2100 via Samba, but can't get those into the Media Server library. I can access the Media Server from the PS3 and LinkTheater, but it shows no content. I've tried to use the N2100 as one of the 6500A's Network drives using Samba, but can't seem to get the path correct. Is there anyone the can advise me as to how to get at least part of this working. The networking portion is OK with all of the boxes able to see each other. The problem is getting the files stored in a place the media players can access them. In the case of the 6500A, figuring out the SMB address of that same location. I once had all this working , but I'm drawing a total blank now. I seem to remember purchasing a third party Media Server Module for the N2100 as well (in addition to the one supplied by Thecus), but I'm drawing a blank on that as well (getting old).

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Thecus N2100 and Tvix 6500A, Sony PS3, LinkTheater

Are you referring to Twonkyvision? You might also try Ushare but make sure there are no spaces in the directory names as it doesn't seem to work with spaces in the path.

Another option that you may not like but you could us TVersity which can talk to anything on the planet but you would have to run that on a seperate PC or on VMware.

Not sure if this helps

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by glotgering View Post
    Are you referring to Twonkyvision? You might also try Ushare but make sure there are no spaces in the directory names as it doesn't seem to work with spaces in the path.

Another option that you may not like but you could us TVersity which can talk to anything on the planet but you would have to run that on a seperate PC or on VMware.

Not sure if this helps
    Yes, I currently have the Twonkyvision module installed, but I have a feeling, even if I could properly address it, it may not work. I tried uploading a file via the N2100's browser interface. It got to about the 2GB point and stopped. I think the best solution would be to set up the N2100 as a 6500A network drive. No problem using doing Samba transfers to the N2100 of 12GB, the largest I've tried so far.

I'm sure my problem is I'm missing something as far as setting up a 6500A network drive. If you could give me an example of how that's done, especially what the full path would look like I'd sure appreciate it. As I said, I used to have all 4 6500A's network drives humming along with no problem. Somehow the setup was lost and for the life of me I can't remember exactly what I did before.

Registered+
    Thanks

Well I got it to work and now have the N2100 as a 6500A network drive. Now the problem is it won't play any of the video files. I tried every format I know and all of them say they are either not compatible or they are corrupt. Files all play properly on my Mac. I have no idea what is going on. I'm trying now to do a ftp upload to the 6500A from the Mac. For some odd reason the 6500A insists on doing ASCII mode ftp transfers which are very slow (3Mb/s). This is beginning to seem like a lost cause.

Registered+
    Thanks

Problem solved! It finally occurred to me that I could do a Samba push from the Mac to the 6500A. What I am doing now is exporting a MPEG program stream directly from EyeTV to the 6500A. Conversion is lightning fast as is the transfer. No limit on file size. The 6500A is the only media player I have capable of playing MPEG Program Streams. I'm one happy camper!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by transco View Post
    Problem solved! It finally occurred to me that I could do a Samba push from the Mac to the 6500A. What I am doing now is exporting a MPEG program stream directly from EyeTV to the 6500A. Conversion is lightning fast as is the transfer. No limit on file size. The 6500A is the only media player I have capable of playing MPEG Program Streams. I'm one happy camper!
    Hi great news you are sorted..Can you tell me what format you insserted your sharename into your tvix, ie /bear/movies or //bear/movies ?

Also when i ping i recieve 5/5 but when i click on iperf next to it i recieve fail, can you tell what I am doing wrong,

Streaming from buffalo nas to tvix ,when i save settings on tvix I cant see any of the folders created whether tvixhd1 etc.

Many Thanks.

Thanks

Any one ...help

Thread Information