Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: n7700 - WD 2TB and firmware XFS

Thanks

Re: n7700 - WD 2TB and firmware XFS

Dear Sir,

We just simulate most user's environment, as like purchase the HDD and install into NAS to match most user's need, thus we won't modify or change the HDD oprtion or others.
    N8800/N7700 just new release model, thus we would update the HDD list as possible.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Manni's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5E
      • CPU:
      • Q9650 3Ghz OCed 3.8Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Corsair DDR2 2Gb x 4
      • Storage:
      • N5200 5x1.5TB (WD15EADS-00R6B0) + QNAP TS-809 (8xWD20EADS)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire ATI 5850 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Sea Sonic M12 700
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 Ultimate RTM
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407W
      • Internet:
      • ADSL 800Kup 8Mdown

Quote Originally Posted by Thecus - Yvon View Post
    Dear Sir,

We just simulate most user's environment, as like purchase the HDD and install into NAS to match most user's need, thus we won't modify or change the HDD oprtion or others.
    N8800/N7700 just new release model, thus we would update the HDD list as possible.
    Thanks again for this, and I understand the strategy, but does it mean you do not test the behaviour of the drives in the case of an unrecoverable error before adding them to the compatibility list?

If the N7700 itself does not change the TLER parameter on the WD20EADS, how do you prevent the drives from dropping out of the raid in case of an unrecoverable error which takes the drive offline for more than 7 seconds?

Sorry to insist but I need to know which level of compatibility is tested for a drive to be added to the list, before I decide whether I should or not activate TLER on the WD20EADS.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Manni's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5E
      • CPU:
      • Q9650 3Ghz OCed 3.8Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Corsair DDR2 2Gb x 4
      • Storage:
      • N5200 5x1.5TB (WD15EADS-00R6B0) + QNAP TS-809 (8xWD20EADS)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire ATI 5850 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Sea Sonic M12 700
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 Ultimate RTM
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407W
      • Internet:
      • ADSL 800Kup 8Mdown

Just to update this thread, I have installed 7 x wd15eads in a Thecus N7700 after enabling TLER. I had a problem with one drive, which was replaced imediately (8 reallocated sectors after formatting). With the new disk and after reformatting, I have done many tests and it is very stable.
    My only issue is performance. I have formatted the 10tb array in raid 6 with XFS (around 7tb available once formatted). I get 45-50mb/s write and 55-60 read with big files, but the performance with small files is really bad with XFS (copying, and also deleting, takes ages). So it's fine to use XFS if you plan to move BD rips etc, but for general desktop use I would recommend to to use EXT3 or at least to keep one part of the array with EXT3. I have decided to put all my media files on the N7700 and keep my desktop files on the N5200 (1tbx5 in ext3). When I try ATTO, it gives me a read speed which is about half of the write speed, which I find disturbing and can't really explain as it's not confirmed by real-world performance (drag and drop under vista).
    I have also noticed that XFS takes a lot of space on the disk compared to EXT3 with small files. For example, 100GB of small files on the N5200 (ext3) take 100gb of disk space. On the N770 (XFS), they take 130bg! That's 30% more! It is only with small files, but still, if you have lots of them, again, XFS is not the best choice. By the way stipe size is 64K on both RAIDs.
    Last edited by Manni; 19-04-2009 at 09:31 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information