Thread: N5200 - mute the alarm?

Registered+
    Thanks

Question N5200 - mute the alarm?

I have an N5200. Recently I got an email alert letting me know the raid6 array was degraded because a drive had failed. It turned out another had failed a while back and I'd done nothing about it so I decided to replace all the drives with larger 1TB capacity drives (up from 400GB) as I was getting a bit low on space too.

I believe the 5200 kept the constant beep/tone going because a failure of a 3rd drive would have meant data loss. My question is how do you mute the beep/tone without disabling beep notification in the configuration setup?

By the way, it took about 3 days to re-build the array when replacing all drives, a long time, but I guess it has a lot of work to do, and the hot-swap process was so simple - very impressed with that.

Thanks

Re: N5200 - mute the alarm?

Dear mtcsltd,

The system will beep and alart you when your RAID has been degraded.

When you disable the Beep notification, you will not be able to receive any fault notification
    when there is an error.

Official Thecus Support Representative

3. Received thanks from:

mtcsltd (06-07-2009)

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks Ivan. Does that mean there is no way to reset the alarm, say through the front control panel? I was in a situation where I needed to leave the unit running, and the alarm kept going which after a while gets into your head a bit - there's no reprieve from it.

Registered+
    Thanks

what about the 'beep notification'?

under SYSTEM --> Notification Configuration --> Beep Notification

have you set that to disable?

just wondering if that helps.... on a side note, if the alarm is still going and everything is "ok" as far as RAID and drives go, then i think theres some other error going on.

6. Received thanks from:

mtcsltd (13-07-2009)

Thanks

Dear mtcsltd,

In our situation, you could have disable the beep notification and the beep sound should stop.
    Once your system has been rebulit and everything else is working, enable the notification again
    to receive system error alert.

Official Thecus Support Representative

8. Received thanks from:

mtcsltd (13-07-2009)

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redclawkefar View Post
    what about the 'beep notification'?

under SYSTEM --> Notification Configuration --> Beep Notification

have you set that to disable?

just wondering if that helps.... on a side note, if the alarm is still going and everything is "ok" as far as RAID and drives go, then i think theres some other error going on.
    I'm sure that would have helped, but I didn't try it. I wasn't sure if that would have silenced the beep as soon as I applied it, or if it would have required a re-boot, which I didn't want to do at the time.

I've had disk errors in the past, and it sounded the alarm, but only once. After a re-boot the same drive in error doesn't sound the alarm, after which you'd have to remember to fix the array which remains degraded but operational. I'd forgotten I already had one bad drive, then the alarm sounded for a second bad drive, but the alarm always remained on - and I think that was because if another drive were to fail I'd definately have suffered from data loss (raid 6 needs 3 out 5 of the drives in working order) - it was saying as much in the email notifications.

With my memory the way it is I guess a beep error on start up , which I could disable by pressing a few buttons on the panel would be a useful feature to me and help to keep the problem in my mind (with a view to sorting out the drives).

Thread Information