Thread: Basic Thecus 3200pro setup

Thanks

Basic Thecus 3200pro setup

I am looking for some advice on get the best use of my thecus 3200pro. I have a network both wired and wireless of 3 laptops (xp/ubuntu), 2 htpc (vista ultimate), thecus 3200pro, on a linksys wireless N router.

I am looking to mainly store and hopefully stream (one htpc is wireless) movies i have in various formats. most of these have .srt files for spanish subtitles as my girlfriend is still learning english so the palyer i use has to support subtitiles easily.

So far in my attempts i have not done much as i like to understand somting before i button push. I have these questions so far as well just getting some starting help.

1. Easiest way to move over 300GB of movies

2. best way to stream to a HTPC running vista

3. any and all advice to get the best of the 3200 for movies, music, storage?

Thanks

Re: Basic Thecus 3200pro setup

is this too much of a newbie question?

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Basic Thecus 3200pro setup

Hi,

Maybe your question got lost in the noise...does happen! I've got the same box, so I'll throw some advice in. Hope it helps...

1. I would use an HD large enough, or a gigabit connection to collate the movies. That's about it really.
    2. For streaming, try the built-in media server and see how that performs. Alternatively, download the Twonkymedia 4 plugin and try that via DLNA. Your client should pick up the server - Although I'm not sure, seeing as I personally stay away from Windows.
    3. Hrm, not sure about this one. I suppose general rule is trim your files often. Just because you might have TBs of space, don't allow your unwanted data to build up. The job just gets more difficult later on.

Personally, I have found the Twonky module (mentioned earlier) to be a lot more flexible than the inbuilt mediabolic system, which I have since turned off. It serves to my PS3, 360, mobile phones, multiple Macs, etc without any complaint...but with anything YMMV, so check it out first and see what you're comfortable with!

HTH

Thread Information