Thread: Anybody using target USB?

Thanks

Anybody using target USB?

I always thought target USB on the N5200, as implemented, seemed pretty pointless. You could allocate some space from your array to be accessible as a USB hard drive. Pretty silly for a NAS. Especially since it was completely separate from your shares.

However, I now potentially see a use for it. With some limitations, my dvd player can play .avi files from USB hard drives. So in theory, if I create a target USB, format it as fat32 and put files on it, I can connect the NAS via USB to my DVD player and play .avi files. A de-facto media server.

Now the big question, is there any way to put files onto the target USB over the network? With sshd access to the N5200, could I possibly mount the target USB and copy files onto it?

Anybody doing anything like this?

Thanks

Re: Anybody using target USB?

Dear Sir,

The TARGET USB/iSCSI/NETWROK SHARING volume separate to each other, thus we can't move the data into TARGET USB volume via network.

Thanks

Yvon,

Thanks for replying. I realize that officially that would be Thecus's position, and that you really can't in any way support what I'm trying to do.

The question goes to others: if you are logged into the N5200 via ssh, is the target USB visible, and is it possible to use the linux mount command to mount it as a local fat32 file system, assuming it was formatted as such. Note: not mount it from some other machine on the network, use the mount command on the N5200 to mount it on the N5200 and make the files visible locally on the N5200.

Stephen

Thanks

Dear Sir,

Thecus never support this function, even someone crack the system and publish on the internet, but such operation would make your Theucs product lose the warranty and support, because it is no any log or record to know what user or other cracker modify or change your system and configuration before, thus we afraid to provid any response and support for the product been install such crack.

Thread Information