Thread: NTFS-3G with Thecus N5200PRO

Thanks

NTFS-3G with Thecus N5200PRO

Hello guys,

I have installed the NTFS-3G module on my Thecus N5200PRO in order to be able to access a NTFS formatted USB disk, which is externally connected to the NAS.

The module can be found on onbeat.dk
    The NTFS-3G homepage can be found on ntfs-3g.org
    (I may not post full URL's for some reason )

The Thecus module is based on NTFS-3G version 1.1120; which is originally dated November 20, 2007. The latest version from NTFS-3G is from April 2, 2009 (version 2009.4.4). So it seems that the version which is built-in the Thecus module is quite outdated.

After installing the module and mounting my USB disk via SSH, I can access my NTFS drive, I can read and most importantly; I can write to the disk. But there is one really annoying problem with it: I can't create directory's or filesnames with special characters, like é or ï. Reading directory's in this format is, I think, but I am not sure, also a problem.

I searched on the Internet for a solution and found that something could have to do with the locales (as some have UTF-8 support and others don't). When NTFS-3G operates in a certain locale, the problem should be solved. You can set the locale with the -o parameter. However, when I put in the command, it always comes back with this error:
    "Couldn't set locale to 'en_US <or another locale>' thus some file names may not be correct or visible". When I want to check out which locales are available to the system with the "locale -a" command, the Thecus responds with "locale: command not found". It seems that the Thecus is really stripped-down on some points...

I think these are the three possible solutions...
    - Get the locales in the Thecus and work on with the current module (I can select the right locale by then).
    - Update the module.
    - Manually install the latest NTFS-3G.

But... I really don't have a clue how to do this.

Any help from your side would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Xypriz; 03-06-2009 at 12:00 AM.

Thread Information