Thread: Thecus with Mac -- Bonjour, AFP, SMB. .. N7700 ?

Thanks

Thecus with Mac -- Bonjour, AFP, SMB. .. N7700 ?

I have two of the N7700 that Ive setup as XFS arrays.. and have been using them no problem with SMB for a year now.

I noticed that for me, SMB was more reliable on the mac using chronosync and syncing programs from my local computer... than AFP was. Also ran into problems with permissions and file names, etc... using AFp.. So ive stuck with SMB the past year

I just saw in the new firmware on the N7700 there is support for BONJOUR now

Can you let me know how to use this?
    Do I enable bonjour but turn OFF afp and smb... is that the correct way?
    Im not sure what the bonjour tab is doing

thanks
    p

Thanks

Re: Thecus with Mac -- Bonjour, AFP, SMB. .. N7700 ?

Bonjour, also known as zero-configuration networking, enables automatic discovery of computers, devices, and services on IP networks. Bonjour uses industry standard IP protocols to allow devices to automatically discover each other without the need to enter IP addresses or configure DNS servers. Specifically, Bonjour enables automatic IP address assignment without a DHCP server, name to address translation without a DNS server, and service discovery without a directory server. Bonjour is an open protocol which Apple has submitted to the IETF as part of the ongoing standards-creation process. To learn more, check out the Bonjour Protocol Specifications which detail the technologies that make up Link-Local and Wide-Area Bonjour.

Thanks

when i setup bonjour on my Thecus N7700... i dont see it magically pop up in the devices list on the right side of Finder... like my other Macs do every time

has anyone got this working for them on a mac?

p

Thanks

The bonjour implementation on my n4100pro seems to be broken.

I was hoping it was using avahi, since I know how to configure that, and could use the META module to slip in a new configuration at boot time. Unfortunately they are using mdnsresponder, which I found some information on-- but haven't delved into configuring/fixing.

Hopefully since this was just added in the newest firmware for my unit, it'll just need a few tweaks from thecus to work correctly. Or they'll switch to avahi and it'll make my life easier to just configure it myself :-)

Thread Information