Thread: N4100PRO: How to set up FTP and Remote Web Server Access

Thanks

N4100PRO: How to set up FTP and Remote Web Server Access

N4100PRO: How to set up FTP and Remote Web Server Access

Hi Guys,

I bought a Thecus N4100PRO NAS and installed two 2TB WD20EADS hard drives in RAID 1.

I've spent the better part of two days trying to configure the NAS access, but haven't really had much success. I'm computer literate but haven't really had much experience with networking. So any help would be much appreciated!

Hardware Setup:
    [Internet]---[Wireless Router]----[NAS]

Wireless Router is a Linksys WRVS4400N:
    My External IP Address: 124.191. 123.456 (looked up using whatsmyip.org, with last six digits changed)

N4100PRO NAS Settings:
    WAN:
    WAN IP Address: 192.168. 1.100
    Gateway IP Address: 192. 168.1.1
    NetMask IP Address: 255.255. 255.0

LAN
    LAN IP Address: 192.168. 2.254 (the unit picked this address)
    NetMask IP Address: 255.255. 255.0

All PCs run Windows Vista (Windows firewalls & other firewall software turned off).
    Internet Explorer 7 and Firefox 3 have been used.
    All attempts have been done with the correct ports forwarded through the Linksys Router's Firewall. Also I have tried all of the below with the Firewall turned off.
    FTP software WinSCP.

I have also set up the ACL with User: "Name" and Group: "Usergroup"

Problem 1: FTP
    I have enabled the FTP on the NAS (under Network, FTP).

My problem is that I can't FTP (not even locally) to the NAS.

Locally:
    I've been trying to FTP to the unit, I assume that the host address should be 192.168. 1.100 (I have also tried 192.168. 2.254 to no avail).
    I've tried it with ports: 22 (as specified on the FTP page), 10080 (as suggest on one of the Thecus threads) and 80 just to see what happens.
    For the login details, I have tried "Admin" and "Name" with the respective passwords.

Remote:
    I've been trying to FTP to the unit from an external IP connection (my iPhone tethered to my laptop), I assume that the host address should be my external IP address 124.191. 123.456.
    I've tried it with ports: 22 (as specified on the FTP page), 10080 (as suggest on one of the Thecus threads) and 80 just to see what happens.
    For the login details, I have tried "Admin" and "Name" with the respective passwords.

Any ideas or suggestions that I should try?

Problem 2: Remote Connection (via Web)
    I have added the module and enabled the Web Server on the NAS (under Network, webserver).

I editted the "httpd.conf" file and changed
    >"User nobody" to "User Name"
    >"ServerName XXX. example .XXX:80" to "ServerName 124.191.123. 456:80"
    (Changed so that I can post)

I've testing the syntax (and it is ok) the made sure that the WebServer Status is "Running".

I've tried pointing my browser to "124.191. 123.456:80", but nothing happens.

I assume that I've done something wrong, but what is it? I followed the instructions from the "WebServer_V11_EN.pdf" file.

Any ideas or suggestions that I should try?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Oliver

Thanks

Re: N4100PRO: How to set up FTP and Remote Web Server Access

If You have connected Your N4100pro via the WAN port to the router, then ip to use in the internal network is 192.168.1.100
    Standard FTP port is 21.
    Winscp needs a ssh module installed, cause actually thats ssh and no ftp - ssh uses port 22.
    If You set the port of the webserver module to 80, then You will interfere with the standard webinterface - or You have set this to https (port 43) and disabled http (port 80).
    The serfername should be a domain name and not an IP adress.
    br
    Peter

Thanks

Hi Peter,

Firstly, thanks for your reply.

I have my cable modem connected to the WAN ("Internet") port of my router. Is it possible to do it another way? (i.e. so that the NAS is connected via a normal ethernet/gigabit port).

The WinSCP has SSH listed under the WinSCP Login window. And I have used it in the past to SSH into my iPhone.

How do I go about getting a domain name? Is there a way to get one without paying for a specific address? (I just want to be able to access my files from school and not actually host web pages.)

O.

Thanks

WAN and LAN ports on the Thecus devices are a little bit misleading.
    Just connect Your box with the WAN port to Your routers LAN port - or if You want to have gigabit traffic within Your network the connect a Gigabit switch to the LAN port of Ypur router and then connect all Your devices to the ports of this switch (as I said before the N4100pro with his WAN port and leave the N4100pro LAN port alone).

You can get a domainname for Your dynamic IP from dyndns.org.

For remote access to Your files, you don't need the webserver module (deinstall it for the beginning and use it without this module) - just access the box with the standard webinterface - if You login there as a user - not as admin - You have access to all Your files, where You have set the correct access rights - but please don't use public shares if You have access via internet.

If You want to access then the N4100pro from outside the world get a domain from dyndns.org (hope Your router supports it) and forward port 80 in the router to the internal ip of Your N4100pro (as I said before the standard web interface is enough for that).

br
    Peter

Thanks

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the help. I've got it set up and running now.

I had the connections and settings correct, but the reason why it wasn't liking remote access was because I had the "NAT enabled" box ticked on my (motorola) broadband modem/router, and my actual (linksys) router didn't like that.

Regards,

Oliver

Thanks

Ah ok, networking sometimes is tricky.
    br
    Peter

Thanks

Hello,

I was kind of having the same issue, but after reading this thread I got the FTP set up successfully now. Thanks!

Though I am still not really making any progress with the remote webdisk (HTTP)..

I have enabled WebDisk (HTTP) Support in the N4100pro and got myself a domain name, but now im not sure how to connect.

I tried connecting to domain.name.net and domain.name.net:80 (since that should be the corresponding port) but so far im getting 'page not found' messages.

I also tried forwarding port 80 in my router to the N4100pro local IP (like I did with port 21 for FTP access) but that also didnt help.

I am probably doing something wrong, so any tips/suggestions are welcome.

Regards,

Jorrit

Thanks

If You want to access the web GUI of Your N4100pro, the it's the same procedure as for FTP - forward the approbiate port to Your local ip - the port for http ist 80 and for https is 443. Have You checked if Your domain name points to the correct ip or have You changed the ports for http and https access ?
    br
    Peter

Thanks

I think it was just the fact that I needed some sleep..

After I woke up this morning, I did it all again and it worked right away.

Thanks again for the usefull information!

Thanks

peter,

Do you also happen to know if it is possible to setup SSL encryption to the FTP? I cannot seem to find it if its there.

Thanks,

Jorrit

Thanks

Encryption for login of FTP is part of the FW 2.01.09 - this FW was resetted to beta after some issues popped up. Using a FW lower than that will not give You this possibility. I assume that it will be part of the next official FW and that it is also part of the actual beta versions.
    If You mean SFTP - thats a different thing and is more related to SSH - thats not supported as it requires working SSH connections.
    br
    Peter

Thread Information