Thread: n7700 - multiple iscsi targets with mac os

Thanks

n7700 - multiple iscsi targets with mac os

i use the free globalsan iscsi initiator. it connects without problem to the first iscsi volume that i have created on the n7700. i'm however unable to connect to the 2nd iscsi target.

i found a thread on the SNS forum (see below) where someone has the exact same issue, blaming thecus' usage of LUNs, which the globalsan initiator can't cope with. does anybody have an idea how i can get around this? i'd even be prepared to buy an iscsi initiator if that would solve the problem...

http://www.snsforums.com/index.php?showtopic=240

cheers,
    o

Thanks

Re: n7700 - multiple iscsi targets with mac os

Dear Sir,

We tested the Microsoft iSCSI Software Initiator Version 2.08 and mount 3 iSCSI from N7700 successfully, and we would arrange an environment to verify this compatibility issue with GlobalSAN as possible.

Thanks

Don't even try getting another initiator. I've been having same issue with N5200Pro, and I've purchased Xtend San ($200) in hope this will take care of the problem. No go! I've also tried changing ietd.conf, but no luck. I've just spent waaay over $1000 on my new storage just to find out it's a waste of money. This issue has been dragged for over a year now, and it seems Thecus doesn't have a solution. It is strange that linux based device is fully supported/tested on Windows, but not on other linux base distros... I was very close to propose N8800 at my company to build archiving farm based on iscsi, but after this experience they are out of the picture...

Thanks

FYI :- I have just fixed the problem with the Thecus N5200PRO multiple iSCSI target issue on MAC running globalSAN iSCSI Initiator.

You just need to apply the new firmware (beta version 3.00.04.5) from the Thecus site.

You can then specify a LUN ID of 0 (ZERO) for each (up to 5) target.
    See under Space Allocation in the new menu interface

Thanks to Thecus for fixing this - I plan to buy a N7700SAS for mixing my SAS disks with SATA - as my Seagate Barracuda 15k 450Gb x 4 are TOO NOISY in my Mac Pro!

I aim to move to 4 x WD2003FYYS RE4 64Mb 2TB Enterprise which were launched a few weeks ago.

Good luck!

Ciao,
    Steve Watkin. Wales, UK.

Thread Information