Thread: N299 Bad Filesystem

Thanks

N299 Bad Filesystem

I feel sick.

My 750GB Raid 1 setup on N299 has failed. I was running a backup to the array when it filled up and crashed or something. I couldn't access any of the folders on the NAS. I shutdown the NAS and rebooted it, and rebooted windows. Again it would no longer let me access my folders (I have about half a dozen folders permanently mapped to drive letters in windows).

I logged onto the NAS via browser interface, and could see that the status of both drives was ok, but the status of the RAID shows "Bad Filesystem".

There is no option to rebuild or anything like that. This is particularly bad as with the array being pretty much all in use, I had almost 750GB of data (mostly a music / video / tv / photo library) with no other means of backup for the majority of it - I was relying on the RAID 1 mirror to provide a backup in case of a drive failure, didn't seem I allowed for a RAID array failure.

Is there any way that I can "repair" the filesystem such that I can access my files again.

Please help,

Thanks

Thanks

Re: N299 Bad Filesystem

Dear lawrysimm,

Please go to our Esupport and submit a ticket and also provid us with your config.bin for our tech support team to assist with your problem.

You can download your config bin under System-ConfigMgnt-download

Official Thecus Support Representative

Thanks

i had a similar problem.

trash that n299 and go for a dlink dns-323
    much better and more possibilities, especially for backup your data
    see here (remove spaces thx to 5 post limit for posting urls): http : // wiki . dns323 . info /

put the hdds in an external case and try to mount them via knoppix or similar, file system is xfs and there are 4 partitions on the hdd - #4 is the one with your data

Thanks

Thanks for your help. I was struggling to find a live distro that would support xfs (tried the ones you mentioned) so I ended up putting a spare HDD in my comp and installing Ubuntu, and then manually installing the xfs support (seeing as I never really used Linux that was fun to do! - luckily when I as younger I used AIX Unix on IBM's and it wasn't much different). Still had to do a lot of googling though.

I did eventually manage to mount all the xfs partitions, initially mount was complaining as the journal was corrupt but I learned how to mount the partitions read only ignorning the journal information, and managed to recover all the data manually. A great relief!

Thanks for the intial pointers!

Thread Information