Thread: Thecus N5200Pro and Logitech Squeezebox Server

Thanks

Thecus N5200Pro and Logitech Squeezebox Server

Hi,

I have recently bought a Logitech Squeezebox Duet (truly excellent by the way) and have the Squeezebox server (v7.4) running on my desktop (Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit) and would like to have it run from my NAS (running firmware v2.00.16). I have tried searching for a step-by-step guide as to how to achieve this but no joy. I have no Linux machine and know nothing about Linux and this is the first module I've tried to install on my Thecuse N5200Pro. I have tried following this guide:

onbeat.dk/thecus/index.php/N5200_Module:_SQUEEZEBOXSERVER

(usual start of this link had to be deleted as this is my first post - it should be obvious!)

but find it somewhat confusing and it has not resulted in an installation that I can sucessfully enable.

Can anyone offer a walkthough easy to follow guide as to how to get this working?

Regards and thanks in advance.

Skier
    Last edited by Skier; 23-10-2009 at 08:54 AM.

Thanks

Re: Thecus N5200Pro and Logitech Squeezebox Server

All now sorted and when I get some spare time I will write a guide for those trying to achieve the same.

Regards

Skier

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    All now sorted and when I get some spare time I will write a guide for those trying to achieve the same.

Regards

Skier
    Hi Skier,

I have been out of action for a while now due a faulty DOM and I will be getting the replacement tomorrow. Could you please outline the steps that you took to set up this configuration?

Thanks,
    V

Thanks

Ok, here goes:

1. Visit this site:

(Can't post URL here as this is only my 2nd post so add the usual before this - bloody stupid rule - excuse me for trying to be helpful!)

.onbeat.dk/thecus/index.php/N5200_Module_List[/url]

Scroll down to 'Modules for N5200 firmware' and click on 'PERL.' Download this module and install on your N5200. Don't worry about the fact that it mentions a very old firmware version. To install go via the Thecus web interface, select 'System' then 'Module Management.' Browse to the downloaded file then select 'Install.' Once installed select 'Enable.'

2. Now visit this site:

(Same silly rule applies here)

.onbeat.dk/thecus/index.php/N5200_Module:_SQUEEZEBOXSERVER[/url]

Scroll down and download the Squeezebox module. I have 7.4.1 installed and all seems fine. Install this module as described above. Once installed then Enable it.

3. Now (if not already displayed) select from the Thecus web interface 'System' and then 'Module Management.' Under 'NAME' click on 'SQUEEZEBOXSERVER.' Now click on 'Squeezebox Server Web Entry Page.' Configure the way you wish. You can do much of this from the handset.

From the handset tell the system where you music files are stored. In my case it's as follows:

/raid/data/****/Music where **** is my name.

One word of advice; dedicate a single non-RAIDed drive in the Thecus as your media server drive for music and back up the contents somewhere. I haven't yet done this as all drives in my device are part of a RAID5. The problem with this is that it introduces a delay of a couple of seconds when selecting tracks and this iritates me after a while . When I was running the Squeezeboxes I have from my computer's drive the response was instantaneous. When I get some time I will be reconfiguring my Thecus to have a single drive for music.

I hope this helps. If you have any problems post back here. I should say that I am no Thecus expert and have virtually zero knowledge of Linux but know my way around Windows extremely well. The above simply worked for me after many many hours of reading.

Regards

Skier
    Last edited by Skier; 06-11-2009 at 02:21 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks Skier.

Its been a while since my last post. I have my SB setup with N5200PRO. No issues there.

I have also made the music folder private on the network so that it can only be accessed via a username/password. Configured SB for the same.

I was particularly interested in your post about the dedicated drive in the NAS for music. Were you able to do that? I also have my drive in a RAID5 setup and am not sure about how to go back to have a dedicated drive for music.

Thanks,

Thread Information