Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N2200 Download Manager Missing

Registered+
    Thanks

Thumbs down N2200 Download Manager Missing

I got a N2200 on Friday. Man, has it been a lot of trouble setting it up... I have never had so much trouble setting up a device in my life. I still can't get non-public network drive mappings working.

Anyway, one of the reasons I got it was for the widely publicized Download Manager. The Thecus website touts it. Every review I've got makes noise about it. Eg, from thecus themself:

"Included with the N2200 is an upgraded Download Manager, which not only supports HTTP and FTP downloads, but also BitTorrent and eMule as well! "

It is NOT included. It is NOT in the user manual. It is not even available as a module to install. It does not exist. I'm on the 3.00.06 firmware.

Anyone here have an N2200

Thanks
    • Brewster0101's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus m5a99x evo
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX 8350
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600mghz
      • Storage:
      • Western Green 3TB + Samsung 850Evo 512MB SSD, + 2TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AXi760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 27" 27EA63 IPS LED
      • Internet:
      • 120Mb Bt

Re: N2200 Download Manager Missing

I was about to buy to buy this as my first NAS drive but after your comments I may not bother as I need it to be easy to use.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mobe1969 View Post
    I got a N2200 on Friday. Man, has it been a lot of trouble setting it up... I have never had so much trouble setting up a device in my life. I still can't get non-public network drive mappings working.

Anyway, one of the reasons I got it was for the widely publicized Download Manager. The Thecus website touts it. Every review I've got makes noise about it. Eg, from thecus themself:

"Included with the N2200 is an upgraded Download Manager, which not only supports HTTP and FTP downloads, but also BitTorrent and eMule as well! "

It is NOT included. It is NOT in the user manual. It is not even available as a module to install. It does not exist. I'm on the 3.00.06 firmware.

Anyone here have an N2200
    Hi,

I too just bought the N2200 & am experiencing the following problems:

1. When configuring shares, The ACL icon is greyed out and cannot be selected even when a share is highlighted. I cannot therefore secure the share by adding only those users who need access to the share.
    2. When I attempt to map a drive from an XP Pro PC, I get prompted for a user ID & password, however the entered details are not accepted and I get asked for a password again and again. I have used both Admin and the user account i created
    3. The device keeps reporting that "The Samba service is not running, please restart SAMBA service." However when I go into System Information / Status it shows SMB/CIFS as running. The Samba / CIFS setup under System Network also shows SAMBA as Enabled.
    4. Like you, I cannot locate the download manager application.

I haven't been able to get any shares mapped

Can anyone help to get these problems resolved so I can use the device for its intended purpose.

Thanks
    Crozdog

Registered+
    Thanks

Thumbs down Re: N2200 Download Manager Missing

Quote Originally Posted by crozdog View Post
    Hi,

I too just bought the N2200 & am experiencing the following problems:

1. When configuring shares, The ACL icon is greyed out and cannot be selected even when a share is highlighted. I cannot therefore secure the share by adding only those users who need access to the share.
    2. When I attempt to map a drive from an XP Pro PC, I get prompted for a user ID & password, however the entered details are not accepted and I get asked for a password again and again. I have used both Admin and the user account i created
    3. The device keeps reporting that "The Samba service is not running, please restart SAMBA service." However when I go into System Information / Status it shows SMB/CIFS as running. The Samba / CIFS setup under System Network also shows SAMBA as Enabled.
    4. Like you, I cannot locate the download manager application.

I haven't been able to get any shares mapped

Can anyone help to get these problems resolved so I can use the device for its intended purpose.

Thanks
    Crozdog
    Yeah, I lodged a support ticket on the shares. It is BS. I think the ACL only shows when you select a non system share (one you created). The only shares you can get working are public ones. Anything that requires authentication doesn't work. And I've tried all forms of the name (eg, name, domain\name, devicename\name).

And you can not get it out of the default Workgroup.

Another thing I've discovered is in jbod mode you can't frigging create a second volume. All you can do is append. I wasn't going to run raid (it is a frigging waste of time - by the time the HDDs are having issues I'm unlikely to be able to find a replacement, plus they are real big on their warnings that "our raid isn't a replacement for backups so don't trust it"). OK Thecus, so I'm not supposed to trust your raid. OK. so I'll backup manually. I decided I was just going to run two volumes and copy one to the other manually what I wanted to backup. Of course, the create button is there under the raid folder, but it (like ACL) is greyed out. I'm about ready to toss it. It is a piece of garbage.

Thanks

Dear all,

The Download Manager was schduled to be relased last week, however, there has been a delay, the Download Manager will be released within the next weeks, please visit Thecus.com regularly for latest updates.

Dear crozdog,

Please go to our Esupport and submit a ticket and also provide us with your config.bin for our tech support team to assist with your query.

Dear Mobe1969,

Smart utility can be download via below link which can assist you to setup N2200 in few easy steps:
    http://www.thecus.com/product_utilit...nguage=english

When you said you can not create another volume in JBOD, do you mean you can not create another JOBD on the second HDD? please elaborate for better assistance.

Official Thecus Support Representative

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thecus - Ivan View Post
    Dear all,

The Download Manager was schduled to be relased last week, however, there has been a delay, the Download Manager will be released within the next weeks, please visit Thecus.com regularly for latest updates.

Dear crozdog,

Please go to our Esupport URL and submit a ticket and also provide us with your config.bin for our tech support team to assist with your query.
    Thanks for the heads up ivan.

I raised a ticket yesterday before I made this post.

I assume that config.bin is the file I will get when I download the system configuration using System management / utility / config mgnt. is that right?

Registered+
    Thanks

Dear all,

Dear Mobe1969,

Smart utility can be download via below link which can assist you to setup N2200 in few easy steps:

When you said you can not create another volume in JBOD, do you mean you can not create another JOBD on the second HDD? please elaborate for better assistance.

Thanks. That explains the missing download manager.

I do have the Smart Utility. However, it does not allow me to create two volumes. Neither does the web portal.

I setup the NAS with just one disc in it. So it was setup as JBOD by the Smart utility, with a Volume called "RAID" in the Raid tab in the admin web portal, and all my shared folders live on the RAID volume. That was fine, and how I wanted the first disc setup.

I then put in a second drive. My intent was that I would add that as a second volume (like if I stuck a second disc in the computer). However, when I go to the RAID tab in the admin web portal, the create button is greyed out. I would like to add the second drive as "HDD2", and then be able to create folders that are on "HDD2". The user manual indicates I can do this (See "Create a RAID" on page 42), but it does not work. Create is disabled. All I can do is Edit the existing RAID volume and add my second drive to it. That is not good enough, and unusable.

I can send you screen shots to explain what I mean.

I like to manage my own backups. I do not trust RAID as a mechanism to do it. Primarily I am painfully aware of the fact that in most cases it works against you
    - By the time you have a problem with a hard drive, the hard drive is obsolete, and finding a matching replacement is usually difficult.
    - Automated rebuilding of raid volumes can and does result in actual total data loss. I've seen this happen before.

I like having the data backed up, but if and when I have a drive failure, I would be better off:
    - Buy 2x 2TB drive, putting it in the new slot. copying everything from one drive to the other and then throwing that drive away and
    - Buying another RAID enclosure with two hard drives and moving all my data across to that, and dumping the existing one.

In addition, I also have the problem of trying to actually get all my data onto the RAID.
    - Getting data off the surviving drive is often not possible.
    Last edited by Mobe1969; 26-10-2009 at 10:38 AM.

Thanks

Dear Mobe1969,

Please provide me with a screen shot.

Thank you

Registered+
    Thanks

Sigh, I need my post counts up to post image links...

Thanks
    • Brewster0101's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus m5a99x evo
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX 8350
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600mghz
      • Storage:
      • Western Green 3TB + Samsung 850Evo 512MB SSD, + 2TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AXi760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 27" 27EA63 IPS LED
      • Internet:
      • 120Mb Bt

Really, never knew this. How many posts do you need?

Thanks

Dear all,

The DLM2 module for N2200 is now ready and available on Thecus Website:
    http://www.thecus.com/download.php?t...nguage=english

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

It's there for a very good reason, but it does occasionally catch us out in this type of situation. It should now work.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewster0101 View Post
    Really, never knew this. How many posts do you need?
    It's in the FAQ - here

Thanks

I have installed the download manager on my N2200. I can upload .torrents to the NAS but they don't start. Is it working for anyone else?

Registered+
    Thanks

I've installed it but haven't tried yet

Anyone manage to get a UPS to work with it? I have a powerware 3105, but I get an Engrish "No This Device" when I try to use it. Are they supposed to be in a particular port?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Biglad66 View Post
    I have installed the download manager on my N2200. I can upload .torrents to the NAS but they don't start. Is it working for anyone else?
    A common error in this case is the missing DNS and/or Gateway settings.
    br
    Peter

Thanks

Dear all,
    The DLM2 module for N2200 is now ready and available on Thecus Website:
    [
    Thanks Ivan. I've downloaded it & will try it out over the weekend.

Can you have a look at Ticket ID: GDI-907264? I raised it last Sunday and have had no response to the issues raised. I need advise re how to get the nas to work as designed as the issues detailed earlier in the thread are not allowing any connections apart from an admin / smart utility login to configure the device.

Crozdog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information