Thread: Help - N0204 won't detect using Setup Wizard

Thanks

Help - N0204 won't detect using Setup Wizard

I have a brand new Thecus N0204 miniNAS fitted with 2 new WD 500GB Scorpio disks.

Connnected to my LAN (Linksys WRT300N router) and powered up I can hear the drives spin up, see front HDD LEDs flicker briefly then stop. LAN LED continues to flicker occasionally. But after about 5 seconds from power up, the USB Copy light flashes green about one per second and just keeps on doing it.

Running the Setup Wizard on my Vista laptop I get the error message: "Operation timeout!" This occurs when the wizard first starts, and when I click on the "Rescan" button.

I have noticed another couple of threads which sound similar, but they have not solved my problem.

I have confirmed that nothing on my LAN is occupying 192.168.1.100

I have turned of Windows Firewall on my Vista PC - made no difference.

Any advice or suggestions much appreciated!

Thanks

Re: Help - N0204 won't detect using Setup Wizard

Hello,

I have the same problem. I am running Vista. I was getting the Operation Timeout Error. I even tried to run it on an XP virtual under "Virtual Box" to see if it was an OS thing. I still got the same error. Then I used an older XP laptop and tried it, and it connected without any problems. I ran through the setup and can now get to the disks.

If you have a stand alone XP pc, try that. Hope it helps.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djjerra View Post
    I have a brand new Thecus N0204 miniNAS fitted with 2 new WD 500GB Scorpio disks.

Connnected to my LAN (Linksys WRT300N router) and powered up I can hear the drives spin up, see front HDD LEDs flicker briefly then stop. LAN LED continues to flicker occasionally. But after about 5 seconds from power up, the USB Copy light flashes green about one per second and just keeps on doing it.

Running the Setup Wizard on my Vista laptop I get the error message: "Operation timeout!" This occurs when the wizard first starts, and when I click on the "Rescan" button.

I have noticed another couple of threads which sound similar, but they have not solved my problem.

I have confirmed that nothing on my LAN is occupying 192.168.1.100

I have turned of Windows Firewall on my Vista PC - made no difference.

Any advice or suggestions much appreciated!
    not sure if this is the same problem or not but i had a simialr issue with the N2200 that i got

now dont ask me why this worked but i found that if i was usig the utility via wirless from the laptop it wouldnt detect, but as soon as i plugged it into the LAN it worked fine and i had no problems.

like i said this might not be your problem but thats what solved it for me

cheers

Thanks

Dear djjerra,

Please try again by disabling both your firewall and anti-virus if there are any.

Official Thecus Support Representative

Thanks

Hi all,

Thank you for your contributions and advice. I am happy to report success!

However the path to success was an extremely frustrating one

I suggest Thecus would do well to change their Setup Wizard software and / or their Quick Start Guide / User Manual / FAQs to help their customers get going in the first place.

My war story (... lest we forget)
    • Brand new device, new HDDs. Installed and powered up as per all available documentation.
    • Connected to a fully functional 100MBit LAN cable
    • Setup Wizard run on Vista laptop on same LAN (wired connection to same switch). Vista Home Premium SP2.
    • RESULT ==> "Operation timeout!" error. Rescan - same thing. Steadfastly refused to connect.
    • USB Copy button on front panel blinking green 1 per second - never stopped.
    • Windows Firewall turned off. Sophos Antivirus turned off. NO DIFFERENCE. "Operation timeout!"

I raised a ticket with esupport.thecus.com (ticket IAO-602913) The advice was "might be the firewall setting" and a suggestion I return the device to the vendor for RMA service directly.

I took the device back to the vendor. While I was there they did exactly the same things I did (in their own network environment) and got exactly the same results so a replacement was arranged (assumed device faulty.)

Replacement brought home and connected up. SAME PROBLEM!

OK - cut to the chase...

As recommended by other users on this list, I did the following:
    • Fired up an XP desktop (XP Professional SP3)
    • Crossover cable connect direct to N0204 (PC normally on wireless LAN - no easy option to cable via switch, so I figured the crossover cable was worth a try...)
    • Set PC IP address to local 192.168.1.200
    • Disabled firewall
    • Disabled AVG Free antivirus
    • Installed and ran Setup Wizard
    • RESULT ==> SUCCESS!!

Once up and running, all is good. But clearly this first step is unnecessarily difficult and convoluted. I don't know where the real problem lies. Software? OS? Firewall? Antivirus? However nor should I need to know. Come on, Thecus. Your products deserve better than this!

In closing, thanks again for the responses on this forum.

Cheers,
    djjerra

Thread Information