Thread: (RSYNC) for Remote N7700 and Local N7700

Thanks

(RSYNC) for Remote N7700 and Local N7700

Hi guys,

I tried NSYNC last year for doing backup between my 2x N7700 and I didnt like it. It would create some zip file on one end, then unpackage on the other.. and it would have a 2TB folder limitation.. and very slow

THen some guys on here got me into using RSYNC. I uploaded all the modules on Source and Target, and it worked BRILLIANTLY> Very fast, not so hard to setup.. and I completely understood it.

Inside my studio I have the two N7700's: 192.168.0.191 (source and stays local) and 192.168.0.181 (target- going off site)

The command in terminal/Mac OSX i use right now (Inside the studio is)

This is on the command line in Terminal, for activating a single backup

>> Ssh sys@192.168.0.181
    then
    >> /raid/data/module/RSYNC/system/bin/rsync -a --delete --stats 192.168.0.191::ARCHIVE1 /raid/data/ARCHIVE1/

It works great and very fast.. I have about 6 of these commands for each folder..

So When I move the .0.181 server off site... its sitting at IP
    24.193.12.69 in brooklyn, NY.

With a port open at 3001 on the router there... letting me into HTTPS and port 80 for HTTP and port 22 for FTP

Anyway, you guys can help me do the rsync when its on location?

P

Thanks

Re: (RSYNC) for Remote N7700 and Local N7700

does anyone have any idea, it would help a lot

RSYNC across local and remote N7700s
    p

Thanks

Re: (RSYNC) for Remote N7700 and Local N7700

Basically using rsync local and remote is the same. You always connect to the rsync server (which is the source) and fetch the data. The port which is used from rsync is 873, so on the client side the port must be open for outgoing traffic and on the source side, the port must be open for incoming traffic and forwarded to the source box ip adress. The rsync configuration on the server side (the source) must also be modified so the server accepts connections from the public IP adress of the client side.
    You have to modify also the command You use on the target box, to connect to the public IP adress of the source box.
    Changes You have to do:
    1) Source side:
    - edit rsync.conf to allow access of remote IP (24.193.12.69) instead of the local IP (192.168.0.181)
    (enable/disable the module after the changes to let the rsync server reread it's configuration)
    - allow port 873 for incpoming traffic on Your router/firewall
    - port forward port 873 to Your source internal IP (192.168.0.191)
    2) target side:
    - allow port 873 for outgoing traffic
    - change Your rsync commands to connect to Your public IP of Your source instead of the internal one (192.168.0.191)
    - allow port 22 for incoming traffic on Your Router/firewall
    - if You want to be more secure limit the incoming traffic on port 22 to Your public IP of Your studio
    - port forward port 22 to the new internal IP of Your N7700
    (You need port 22 for ssh access)

Thats it
    br
    Peter

Thread Information