Thread: N0204 MiniNas - Piece of Crap

Thanks

N0204 MiniNas - Piece of Crap

I bought a N0204, as I have a few 2.5" HDDs leftover from my notebooks' upgrades and I thought this NAS is small and convenient for me to move it around on my different offices. I read a review in a PC magazine, and the prices seems OK.

BIG MISTAKE.

1. The torrent client is totally unusable, as it will just sits there and do absolutely NOTHING, irrespective of how many seeds are available, and how the ports are forwarded.

2. Unlike other users, I have no problems setting it up, but the network connections seems sporadic. Using it in a mix environment with XPs, XP x64 and Windows 7, users sometimes cannot connect to the NAS, even if the both the router and NAS shows connection.

3. Connecting a USB printer is a convulated process. The printer actually have to be setup as a web-based printer, rather than a network printer. This is the first time I actually encounter a printer setup this way on a NAS. In anycase, users also experience poor connection to the connected printer. Rather, other than during the initial setup when the test print work, users are not able to print ever.

4. Raising the issue with Thecus Support, they promise me a new firmware in "early Novermber". Their exact words. They then actualy close the support ticket! I raised a fuss, and the ticket was reopened. Still no firmware. I am waiting and will continue waiting for this whole of November. Looking at all the users feedback in this forum, I do not have high hopes that Thecus will actually deliver.

I have a Synology DS-207, DS407e, a Buffalo Linkstation as well as a D-Link DNS-323. D-Link is the cheapest and while their interface is nowhere is smooth and polished as Synology, it is still useable, in that everything they promised worked. Synology is the best of of the bunch, as their firmwares are constantly upgraded with new features. Their hardware may not be the best given the price range of the products, but users are very well supported. Needless to say, this is my very first foray buying a Thecus product, and it looks to be my last.

From my perspective, Thecus pushed the N0204 into the market when it is still not ready, and been promising a updated firmware to fix all the problems while not actually delivering. While I am not too sure how Thecus see this issue, but the way I look at it, every poor bugger that bought the N0204 is a future customer lost.

Come December, I will be posting a review of this product on my blog, as well as writing to the magazine that reviewed the product in the first place. Hopefully, this will enable others to make an informed choice when purchasing NAS. In other words, stay the hell away from Thecus!

Thanks

Re: N0204 MiniNas - Piece of Crap

Dear kenlau,

The new firmware for N0204 is on the final testing stage, it will be released as soon as it has been
    approved by our test team. Please visit Thecus Website regularly for latest updates.

Sorry once again for the delay.

Official Thecus Support Representative

Registered+
    Thanks

I disagree, and I have had my share of problems. The issue I had was that the USB Copy function and the USBHDD folder stopped working. After hours of trouble shooting with Thecus support, they sent me the beta version of the new firmware due in November (it's nice). Eventually, Thecus replaced my device. But this is a whole other story. To address what you have written:

1. The torrent client is totally unusable, as it will just sits there and do absolutely NOTHING, irrespective of how many seeds are available, and how the ports are forwarded.

I haven't tinkered with the torrent client, but I did have issues with the NAS and the population of the GATEWAY IP. Double check that your device's GATEWAY IP is actually populated. If it's not populated, your ability to speak to it on the WAN side will be handicapped.

2. Unlike other users, I have no problems setting it up, but the network connections seems sporadic. Using it in a mix environment with XPs, XP x64 and Windows 7, users sometimes cannot connect to the NAS, even if the both the router and NAS shows connection.

I have two Thinkpads, one PS3, 4 iPhones, and a MacBook Pro... all communicating with my device with no problems. If you are having issues, make sure you have SAMBA on, AFP on, and you have your Workgroup defined with no spaces. My connections have all been incredibly robust. I also set up IP reservation for it in my Linksys and after having done so, I set the Device to a static IP as well.

3. Connecting a USB printer is a convulated process. The printer actually have to be setup as a web-based printer, rather than a network printer. This is the first time I actually encounter a printer setup this way on a NAS. In anycase, users also experience poor connection to the connected printer. Rather, other than during the initial setup when the test print work, users are not able to print ever.

I have an HP Color Business Inkjet 1100 connected to mine and it hasn't given me one problem. All computers have the printer driver and are printing to it fine. The printer server has been much more rubust than what I had on my IO Data NAS. Since day one, I haven't had one print function fail. All I did was plug the printer into the back of the device and installed the driver onto my computers, and in the setup process, told it to look for the printer on the LAN, and it worked. I don't think you need to install it the way you did. I didn't.

4. Raising the issue with Thecus Support, they promise me a new firmware in "early Novermber". Their exact words. They then actualy close the support ticket! I raised a fuss, and the ticket was reopened. Still no firmware. I am waiting and will continue waiting for this whole of November. Looking at all the users feedback in this forum, I do not have high hopes that Thecus will actually deliver.

There were issues with the Firmware... mainly the USB copy function. The new firmware is on the way. It really is, because I have a beta of it. It's the basically the same AJAX GUI as what was demo'd here in this forum. It's very nice. But because it is a beta, they left out the ADS section which allows me to set the WORKGROUP name. Thankfully when I installed it, it migrated the WORKGROUP info from version 1.00. Just in case though, I exported my CONFIG file should it get dropped and I need to reset it.

It is a great device... DLNA Server compliance allows me serve videos to my home entertainment center via my PS3 as well as pictures. The Itunes server is pretty sweet too.

I'll be glad to help you if you need it. I have learned a lot about this device and I now feel like I am an expert on it.

Thanks

Hi Milesy,

Thanks for your reply.

It may be that populating the gateway IP, enabling SAMBA (?) and AFP (?) may solve the problem with the sporadic network connections. I don't know, and I will try it out.

However, Thecus response to me from Day ONE when I complained about the torrent was the promise of the new firmware. Nothing else. Nothing about making sure I populate the Gateway IP, which I always assume to be done automatically. I still have the impression that the gateway IP did appeared on the interface, but I cannot be sure.

At the end of the day, still no firmware, and Thecus did not even bother sent me the beta. Believe it or not, there are other NAS other there, and I am already using Synology, Buffalo and D-Link, and right now, in terms if user experience, Thecus is so bad that it cannot even compare with the worst of the lot!

If the interface is not that intuitive, then at least have a decent manual to help the customer to setup the device. Failing that, at least have the technical support staff assist if the user experience problems. 1, 2 and 3 essential steps to marketing a product, failing which the customer will end up with a box that do absolutely NOTHING! Which is exactly what I have, and I being trying to return the crap, but the retailer I bought is from refused saying that there is nothing WRONG with it.

No offense intended, and I appreciate a fellow user trying to help. I will try what you suggested and post the results. Nonetheless, one good turn deserve another, and my contribution to you is to buy Synology next time. Their Ajax interface is as polished as it comes, and new firmwares updates are as regular as clockwork, even for obsolete product like my DS-207.

Registered+
    Thanks

kenlau,

I shopped Synology, Buffalo, HP and others before I bought my N0204. As for speed and function, I found the Thecus to be the best. One thing that was very attractive to me was the hot swap of the drives and the surety that this gives if a drive were to fail.

I would bet, seriously bet, no one has contacted Thecus about product issues more than me over the past month. I have created screen shots and posted private videos of my issues for Thecus Support to view and understand questions that I had and issues that I experienced. Each time, Thecus support visited my website and spent time viewing and understanding my issues. I know this because I tracked them in realtime using Woopra. I could see them on my website veiwing my videos. They have every right to say, that I have been "one of those customers." but they haven't. Each time I have corresponded with them, they have been remarkably polite and patient with me through my lengthy discussions. One of their support representatives (Tony) has called me twice to discuss my issues in detail. I was floored by this because I didn't expect them to actually call me-- certainly not twice. But they did. I cannot say enough good things about Tony, he is truly professional. And has treated me like a valued customer.

The N0204 is a great device. Many of the issues I have had with it was from my own mis-understanding. I have learned a lot. And I can tell you. This is the right product for me. It does require some technical knowledge. I consider myself a tech junkie. I taught myself how to code websites and how to set up complex networks. I am not a noob by any means.... having said this, I will say that this device does require careful understanding. Perhaps Thecus could improve their user manual, but this is not going to prevent me from purchasing the right product.

The new firmware, which I now understand will be out in early December is going through additional testing. I can attest that it is very nice and intuitive. It is AJAX based.

All I can say is hang in there. Let me know if you have any questions. I don’t use the torrent feature but I can help you out if needed with the other features or at least with what I have learned.

Registered+
    Thanks

Milesy,

Have you experienced slow transfer speed between folders and files within your NAS?

Mine is N2200, it only does around 850kb/second max.

Registered+
    Thanks

Milesy,

Have you experienced slow transfer speed between folders and files within your NAS?

Mine is N2200, it only does around 850kb/second max.

Thanks

Milesy,

The term "Vaporware" comes to mind when talking about the new firmware. Their technical support originally promised it will be available "very early November". Now it is apparently December. Would not surprise me if it turn of to be December 2010, in view that the first time I came across this product was a review is a computer magazine much earlier, if I am not mistaken, August 2009. The reviewer also commented on the unwieldy interface and also mention that Thecus was going to release a new firmware to rectify the issue. By the time I bought my device, I assume it had the new firmware. Wrong assumption.

Thecus's technical support is "nice" enough, I guess, in that they are prompt to reply my ticket. I think by the time they receive my ticket, their standard reply was to promise the new firmware, which lead me to believe they must have plenty of complaints.

As for technical skills, while I do not call myself an expert, I am not exactly a novice either. I assemble my own pcs and setup my own websites. It is not as though as I just plug in the power on the NAS and proclaim it does not work. However, the NAS does not have that many settings that I need to spend days tweaking it. What I am surprise is how sparse, unwieldy, and most importantly, non-functional the device is.

What I cannot understand is how dumb Thecus is to release a product that is not ready. Most people who bought this NAS will probably swear off Thecus for the rest of their life. For me to change my mind about this, their new firmware have to be really something.

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi Milesy,

maybe you can answer me a few questions about the new firmware concerning the mediaserver from N0204:

is there afterwords the possibility to serve lossless formats like flac?
    is there too the possibility to install other mediaserver software like Asset uPnP or Twonky Media?

therefore i´m a newcomer with (media)server I´m not able to clear "old" folders from my nas; I delete it on my pc i don´t see it on my pc, but the mediaplyer show the folders, wich are empty.

thanks a lot for your help,

raska

Registered+
    Thanks

What I cannot understand is how dumb Thecus is to release a product that is not ready. Most people who bought this NAS will probably swear off Thecus for the rest of their life. For me to change my mind about this, their new firmware have to be really something.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. Just bought the N2200, really want to get rid of it, what a peice of crap and mislead device!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also see this forums.hexus.net/thecus-care-hexus/175531-thecus-n2200-slow-transfer-speed.html

Registered+
    Thanks

Danielx5,

I have really good txfr speeds. I have moved about 20+gb of music from one folder on the NAS to another and it occurs fast enough that I don't really notice it as being slow. When running an Acronis backup task of my data on my Thinkpad, which is about 18gb, it takes about 6 hrs via wireless G and only about 1.5 hours via ethernet.

Kenlau,

I agree with you the manual is lacking. Probably one of the worst that I have come across. I think this must have something to do with the Taiwanese because I have an Align Trex 450 Remote Controlled helicopter that is also made in Taiwan... exactly same problem-- very poor user manual and instruction book. As for the firmware, I can atest that the beta is very good. Much better than the v1 FW. The only problem I have had with the beta is that they forgot to include the WORKGROUP entry... but I chalk this up to being a beta. I told them and they are aware of it. As for it's use, I like it much better. However, there is a drawback. That is that by using the beta FW, there is no available installation tool, i.e. setup wizard. As a result, if I erase the raid completely... I can't get back into the device to configure it. Apparently, there is a directory structure and master boot record that the device places on the disks. If these are erased, a setup wizard is needed to set up the raid again.

raska,
    I'm not sure about serving flac format. I'll have to try it. But I don't think my PS3 can playback that format. As for other servers like twonky... I think it can be installed because you can ssh into the device.... but I would not recommend doing this unless you are proficient with ssh. I'm not, I actually killed one device trying to ssh into to do a downgrade from the beta. But despite my shortcoming, Thecus agreed to replace it for me. I was honest with them up front about what i did, and they took care of me. The customer service I recieved was well above par. They took care of me.

As for the folders in the NAS, you have to set visibility to them in the admin panel. If you make a folder's "browsable" radio YES then it will be seen on your network if you navigate into it via "my network places/entire network/Thecus". You can also map this folder as a drive to your computer. you cannot delete the standard share folders-- these include, USBCOPY, USBHDD, MUSIC, NAS PUBLIC, and a couple of others-- you can only make these folders browsable(visible) or Public(requiring a password or not). You can add other folders with different names through the add folder feature. These added folders follow the same standard of "browsable" and "public" as the standard folders in the device. These folders can be deleted. And you can set them up to stream. So my guess is that while you may have deleted a folder on your computer it's still on the NAS thus the reason why your media player still sees them. Also make sure that your computer doesn't still have some type of reference to the folders by clicking "UP" in the path from the NAS on your computer to make sure the mapped folder isn't still in you network. If it is, it will be visible under "my network places."

Registered+
    Thanks

raska,

Another thought came to mind... if your media player is seeing certain folders in your NAS, you should also check to make sure that you have not checked marked these folders in the media server settings to stream. if they are check marked to stream, your media player is going to see them. food for thought.

Registered+
    Thanks

hi milesy,

thanks a lot for your answer, but my problem seemd to be another one

All my folders are in the folder "music". I don´t see this folder in my "my network places", but in the explorer of my pc.

the folder are named by artists per exemple: "Queen" then i have folders in them for albums "Queen I", "A night at the opera" and so on.

In these folders are files (songs- mp´3) these songs have tags for the titel, artist, year and so on.... These tags I can search for in my mediaplayer, maybe you now these information all, but now my problem:

In practice I have given wrong tags (Mybee Queeen as name), in this case i give them the true one und delete the old file.
    afterwards my mediaplayer see both folders "queen" and the old one "queeen" this one is not able to browse (the mediaplyer doesn´t find a song) (off course....)), but he sees the old Tag.

On my PC I see only the new Folder.

Can you understand my problem? Maybe you have an idea.-Thanks a lot, Raska

Registered+
    Thanks

Raska,

Start a new thread... I don't want to hijack this thread.

In the new thread describe your problem again (breifly) and please tell me what device you are streaming your music to-- i.e. a computer with Windows media player, a computer with Itunes, a PS3, a stereo/amp.

Thread Information