Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thecus N2200 Slow Transfer Speed

Thanks

Re: Thecus N2200 Slow Transfer Speed

Quote Originally Posted by danielx5 View Post
    "After moving media files to the Thecus storage, I want to sort them out and put them in the right folders (MOVIE, MUSIC...etc.). I have noticed that the tranfers speed (between files and folders within the THECUS) is so so extremely slow, only around 850kb/second max"

Spoon, you sound like an expert. Perhaps, you can help me with the above.......
    Do it with ftp it moves the file instantly !!

(Slow speeds)I have noticed this is a recouring theme with most thecus products below the n7700pro series (tho i think a duo chip in a nas is over kill !!!)
    I personnaly dont think the hardware/software and configuration isnt tuned well enough to allow good speeds on the older models, if i were you i wouldnt bother upgrading to gigabit network for home if you are using thecus products you wont see much of a increase in speeds and you will be disappointed, obviously the speeds are dependant on serval criteria
    1st the drives you are using
    2nd the raid configuration (raid 5) being the slowest,
    3rd wether the wan/lan uses jumbo frame rates, and if the mtu can be changed to allow more speeds,
    4th the type of network you have 10/100/1000 ??
    5th how samba is configured to allow buffer sizes etc for example A larger buffer size will give better speeds but too much will choke the system and it will have the adverse affect, think samba on thecus is buffered to 8192 or around there maybe try doubling it, (if the system can handle it ??? this would have to done in the smb.conf file and i havented tried it so dosent know if it works) there are other adjustments that can be made to samba in the conf file to give more speeds like the log level etc)
    6th And this important go make your own nas this can be done from an old computer and the software free !!!, and your speeds will be 10x faster and thats no joke, i love thecus products but the old stuff is too slow, failing that and you have lots of money go buy a n7700 ive not experienced it but i can tell by looking at the harware the speeds will prob be good !!!

Side note, ive just built my own nas after owning a thecus box for a year and from an old pc celeron d chip which is pretty slow put a gigabit card in it, ive put freenas on it and im experiencing speeds never below 50MB/s read and write and upto 70MB/s !!!!

Registered+
    Thanks

Spoon,

Thecus N2200 has webdisk just like AJAX Demo Menu.

However there is no such function to move files between folders within the Thecus inside the Webdisk. would love to have that function on board.

Registered+
    Thanks

How are you transferring the files from folder to folder?

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Extra-Titanian View Post
    How are you transferring the files from folder to folder?
    if you use an ftp client you can drag and drop between folders its almost instant

i must say i havnt had to many problems with speeds for my n2200 im pretty happy with it at the momnet besided the BT client which is totaly unusable but besdies that im very happy with the unit.

hopefully a new client will be released soon or at least some doco on how to convert modules from the N2100 so i can try one of them, but thats a topic for another thread

i do find however that if i use ftp client rather than SMB the speed tends to be a little bit better

cheers

Registered+
    Thanks

Sweet. Can you delete from the USBCopy folder with FTP? I transferred a bunch of stuff from a thumbdrive and now it's all stuck in the folder because I'm not Unix/nobody.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Extra-Titanian View Post
    Sweet. Can you delete from the USBCopy folder with FTP? I transferred a bunch of stuff from a thumbdrive and now it's all stuck in the folder because I'm not Unix/nobody.
    As a possible solution i would use 'winscp' prog log into the server via sftp and as user root then delete what ya need too but becareful dont play around in there and delete the wrong stuff it could be fatal !
    Another solution you could change permissions of the files via ftp then delete, you should be able to do this with admin status unsure tho as never tried .

Ohh you have to have ssh modual installed to log in via sftp also
    Actually you may not need to log in via sftp but just ftp, as root user should give you acess to delete it.

Also if the files were wrote by nobody then you have guest access on so another way to delete them would be to log in as guest and delete prob the easiest option to be honest
    Last edited by Trebour; 27-11-2009 at 08:58 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

I just upgraded the new firmware for N2200 3.00.07E.

Now I can't access the NAS web interface via its IP anymore, it got a little blue screen right in the middle with a distorted image at the bottom.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danielx5 View Post
    I just upgraded the new firmware for N2200 3.00.07E.

Now I can't access the NAS web interface via its IP anymore, it got a little blue screen right in the middle with a distorted image at the bottom.
    Can you get to it through your Network and Sharing center? If you can, you might want to pull all your data off it and then do a clean install. I always do clean installs for that very reason. Hopefully it works. You might want to take a minute and run a HD Tune test on the drives you've got in it too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information