Thread: (DEAD AGAIN) N7700 RMAd and replacement dies in 15 mins

Thanks

(DEAD AGAIN) N7700 RMAd and replacement dies in 15 mins

OK someone needs to please set me straight...

Ive been using N5200PRO x2 for 2 years, no problems and working solid.
    I use Chronosync backup to sync folders from my MacPro+Areca 12TB Raid5 array over the gigabit network ... to the Thecus

I upgraded my N5200PRO with 5x Seagate 1.5TB drives and all is working

Last month took delivery of two new N7700 units.

Put the 7 Seagate 1.5tbs in there and everything ok
    Back up N7700 is syncing over NSYNC and also ok
    Everything ok for one month

Last month I tried accessing over HTTPS, remotely... a large file.. about 2GBs and halfway through downloading the Thecus froze up and my browser showed no advancement in download % for over 2 hours.

I shut down the remote computer.. restarted.. vpn'd into the local network in New York City and saw that the N7700 was booted offline, shut down and not restarting.

I waited 3 weeks to return to the studio, and when returning... found that the N7700 was dead.
    I tried replacing parts from N7700 #2, like DOM, RAM, CR Battery, Powersupply, CASE... everything.. nothing helped.

Thecus determined that the MB was damaged (?) and I should RMA for a new one.. Ok freak accident? Then my backup N7700 also wouldnt turn on.. Just a flickering power light when turned on.. nothing helped.. no order of unplugging, turning off/on, etc.. completely dead.

Both of them now

I RMAd for 2x New N7700.. Thecus said they never heard of the problem.

I just recieved the two N7700 replacements this morning in the studio in NYC. I booted them up.. all is fine.. good.. reconfigured.

Spent the last 2 hours backing up all my data to the local N7700, and the N7700#2 going to offsite soon.
    I was syncing three folders from MacPro+Areca to the N7700 in the studio. Hitting it hard with file transfers.

5 mins ago.. N7700 #1 gets booted offline? I look... DEAD. Power Button LED flickers, nothing happens.. its my 3rd dead N7700 now!! why... Im pliugged into a battery backup UPS ES750.. and the same situation has been present for 2 years with the N5200PRO.. same electric, power setup, everything... this is my third dead N7700... I cant take the RMA process anymore.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Each time the MB is completely dead, thecus has no explanation

P
    Last edited by phildog33; 21-01-2009 at 06:18 PM.

Thanks

Re: (DEAD AGAIN) N7700 RMAd and replacement dies in 15 mins

fwiw, they are really taking care of me - thecus. sending me a 5th unit now.

we still dont know what is going on, but i want to say the us tech support - over phone - is pretty amazing and very knowledgeable.

feel better, but still .. on my 5th unit now

one theory is the UPS monitoring serial cable, is zapping the MB through the serial port

i dont know... its been the same setup for 2 years with the N5200pro and no issues there

p

Thanks

Dear Sir,

Sorry about this cause you so much inconvenience, on thoery every N7700 msut pass the stability before shipping, in reason you are in the US, thus please contact with Thecus US directly:
    http://www.thecus.com/contact.php

Thanks

Lasted 12 months and my 4th one just died again.. man...
    it was transfering data.. no problem, been working great
    and then... turned off and wont turn bck on again
    same story last 2x with these..

this is my 4th dead N7700
    always happens in the middle of a big file transfer
    p

Thread Information