Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone been brave enough to try the new v 3.00.08 firmware yet?

Thanks

Re: Has anyone been brave enough to try the new v 3.00.08 firmware yet?

hello,
    i have an N5500 and tried the fw 3.00.08 on it. I guess the result is the same. Web disk is accessable under http and https. However, it takes a little bit of time to access to the web disk. You will need to be patient. But it will connect.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phildog33 View Post
    I could get webdisk to work internally on the network, but externally with port forwarding from my router... it used to work for years.. and now with 3.00.7a - never worked again
    hi phildog,

i found out on mine that it's the port forwarding from my router that is the problem with https webdisk.

if i use port external 443 to 443 on my n7700 then it works fine via https from inside and outside my LAN, but as soon as i try and port forward to or from a different port, it breaks the webdisk, even tho the admin console works on https fine.

Thanks

PHEWWWW

finally works with port 443

thank you guys!

phew
    p

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phildog33 View Post
    PHEWWWW

finally works with port 443

thank you guys!

phew
    p
    it's a start, but i use port 443 for other things, so i need to be able to change the port on the n7700 to something ele so i still have the ticket open.

would have been nice or the changelog to include the fix for that though, there's no mention of i from what i can see.

if they aren't going to list all the changes made to the firmware in the changelog, what's the point of having it?

Thanks

Hi all. My first post here - apologies if I'm asking questions that are already answered.

I stupidly upgraded a working N7700 from 3.00.07a to 3.00.08c earlier this week and have the same problem that others mentioned - the unit boots but I can't access the shares or the web UI. After some back and forth, Thecus support has sent me the factory_test.sh script and recommended I (re)load 3.00.08c from a USB drive.

I'm looking for opinions as to doing that, or trying to downgrade back to 3.00.07a which worked for me before. Is there any harm in trying the USB route with .08c first, then if that doesn't work trying to roll back to .07a?

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi pantherman007,
    worked fine for me. We had to downgrade from and 3.00.08b and 3.00.08c to 30.00.08 a couple of times and had no problems.
    Also it was the only way to regain any access to the unit anyway. So there was no alternative option.
    Pls keep in mind, that the up-/downgrade process takes a couple of minutes. The first time we I got extremely nervous, because it took quite a while.
    We removed the disks, flashed the fw, rebooted, reinserted disks and data was avilable again.
    Important: save your settings. The unit is rest to factory defaults.

We were also told to flash latest firmware 8c via USB. But this did not change anything. Same problems as done via GUI.

Greetings,
    Ruediger

Thanks

Hi can you help me?
    i can`t changhed file: "Change the second line of the file to refer to the filename of the correct firmware file you want to use:change
    fwfile="N7700_FW_2.01.09.bin"
    to
    fwfile="N5500_N7700series_N8800series_FW_3.00.08.bin
    can you sent me already file? or sent this file someone filechenger& or ftp?

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi DiamondForever1,
    which script you are using? The original from TheCus support or or Peters script?
    If you are using "the original" Thecus script, you do not need to change anything. Just copy the script and the FW you want to flash to the USB stick. The script selcts it automatically (at least the script I was provied by support).

Thanks

Hi all,

well, I tried upgrading my N7700 from 2.1.09 to v3.00.08c. The result: a big step backwards. No web access (http or https), no access to disks via NFS, no ssh. I can ping it and that's it.

So I tried downgrading the FW back to 2.1.09 following Peter's method, but it didn't work for me. The device boots, reports the 3.x FW, then the stick is accessed and the panel says "Self testing...". The orange warning lamp is off and the stick's LED comes on and off maybe for 1 min at a time. It doesn't seem to get of this state. No "HHHHH" on the panel. I understand from other posts that the procedure should take 4-6 mins, but I left it running for 20+ mins without any progress.

Thanks,

Chris.

Registered+
    Thanks

Hello Chris,

have you created a ticket? Because, I did and Thecus made online a image of my DOM. They have applied it to an test unit and were able to upgrade it properly. That is 2 weeks ago and the ticket is still open. First they were arguing that them DOM would be defective, but I doubt that, if I read all the problems here. Also the other FW versions would not work properly. So I would aks you to create a ticket too, because Thecus must be convinced that there is problem in the FW and not in the DOM.

The last feedback to my call was: We will work on it, but due to Chinese new year it will take at least till end of February.

I have never tried to downgrade from a 3x version to 2x. I doubt that is possible so easily. Have you tried an older 3x (e.g. 3.00.07 which you can find in beta section).

Have you watched the unit while downgrade process? Since the machine restart automatically and loops in update process. Hence you have to unplug the stick just in the right moment.
    When I downgraded my unit, it took about 3 mins to start the downgrade and the HHHH appearing.

Regards,
    Ruediger

Thanks

Hi Ruediger,

I managed the downgrade this morning.

In my original attempt, I tried the USB stick on front and rear ports without success. I tried a new stick this morning, first on the front ports (no success) then the rear (success!).

I followed peterfu's method using his script, and it now works well.

Is there an archive of N7700 FW releases somewhere? peterfu hosts 3.00.08c and 2.01.09 (perhaps that's all there is in recent times?). The former didn't work for me on this unit, and the latter contains a bug I'm trying to find a fix for (and described in the thread "Thecus N7700 NFS/portmap issues with linux clients"). So I'd like to try all available releases to see if this bug's addressed (the releases notes imply not).

Thanks again.

Chris.

Thanks

Ah, found it at <thecus url>/Downloads/beta (sorry - seems I'm not allowed to post full URLs yet).

I'll try out various releases and report in the aforementioned thread if any resolve the portmap issue I'm experiencing.

Thanks,

Chris.

Thanks

The last feedback to my call was: We will work on it, but due to Chinese new year it will take at least till end of February.
    There's no rushing with these guys huh?
    I have never tried to downgrade from a 3x version to 2x. I doubt that is possible so easily. Have you tried an older 3x (e.g. 3.00.07 which you can find in beta section).
    V3.x to V2.x (then later to a later V3.x) worked fine for me when the same thing happened. Thanks again to Peter, no thanks to Thecus.

Please don't let them convince you that you have hardware issues when many people here had the same problem. It's bad enough they release awful untested firmware and HDD 'comptability lists', but to expect you to find more money, downtime or shipping costs to address their own internal quality problems is grossly unfair.

Thanks

Wow,
    I've not been on here since November and I see things from our friends in Asia are still rather flakey :-( I was considering a move to the AJAX F/W version (3.x releases) but i think I'll stick with 2.1.09 for now given all the issues people are experiencing. I guess we'll have to wait till a reliable 3.x release appears (no doubt just before 4.x gets released) before upgrading. DoctorSan, I saw your post on the other threads about the Thecus pitch being at SME's and business users and I for one could not really recommend them for anything critical I'm afraid. I'm a SAN/Storage professional who bought THECUS based on some online reviews (and because I was too lazy to build something myself based on OpenFiler or FreeNAS), something which I now regret. If it wasn't for this site and some of the wonderful contributors on here I think many of us would have thrown in the towel on this thing a while ago... Let's hope they improve this year...

Thanks again for the honest feedback we get on here, it's invaluable when making decisions about your data...

< ADDENDUM - IT WOULD APPEAR MY POSTING PRIVILEGES ON HERE HAVE BEEN REVOKED >

< You may not post new threads >
    < You may not post replies >
    < You may not post attachments >
    < You may edit your posts >

<From what I can see Hexus isnt allowing THECUS on here anymore. There's no link to THECUS from the main HEXUS page so I'm guessing the forum is now defunct!>

< Cheers All>

cheers
    Bob.
    Last edited by unclebobuk; 25-03-2010 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Can't post so therefore updating existing entry :(

Thanks

I can't agree more. Even IF the products worked reliably -- Thecus can't be considered as an business class solution simply on the basis of support. I opened a case 5 days ago and checked back with them 3 times since and haven't been able to get as much as courtesy response saying they are looking into it. Sure this woudn't be such a problem if the products worked well -- but again even if they did you can't trust your business to support like this.

But what do you do? I guess I have 2 expensive door stops. And a good lesson to share with everyone I know about not buying Thecus devices.

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi jarmstrong5
    Quote Originally Posted by jarmstrong5 View Post
    I opened a case 5 days ago and checked back with them 3 times since and haven't been able to get as much as courtesy response saying they are looking into it.
    Are you sure you have not mixed up the time units? You do not mean weeks? Sorry for that irony, but my call is open since beginning of January. Each simple replay takes at least 1 week. No solution yet. 50 percent of all my tickets I have closed myself since replay took so long, that the problem was solved by the community and not Thecus, or we have sold the unit.
    Another ticket (also FW bug) took also over one month (09/2009 till end 10/2009).

As my experience: There is no real support existent. If you have a real critical problem, you are in real trouble.
    Thecus has a lot of nerve to claim "to have an business class solution". Never ever with that quality of firmware and support. Sorry.
    Last edited by Ruediger; 15-02-2010 at 10:05 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information