Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: n2200 dropping out of mediaserver

Thanks

Re: n2200 dropping out of mediaserver

Hi, I have not yet got SSH working, but I worked out how to create modules.
    You may like the ROOTCMD module, it allows you to send commands as root via a web page.
    It should work on N0204 as well as N2200, let me know if you have problems.

http://thecus.nas-central.org/wiki/N2200_Module_ROOTCMD

Registered+
    Thanks

Angry Re: n2200 dropping out of mediaserver

Thats very kind to U but I dont think this will help n2200 users ...

Edit : Nevermind, this may help in fact ...
    Last edited by MadGstiK; 28-02-2010 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Nevermind ...

Thanks

AK has managed to patch the DLM2 btg GUI so it is not so flakey...

http://www.thecusforum.eu/showthread.php?p=10699

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z/Os View Post

P.S. I will definitely build a Twonky Media module for my N0204 and when it's done I will share it with everyone.
    Please z/OS, please make it N2200 compatible !!!!!!

Just a question, would it be easier to build a TwonkyMediaModule for the N2200 or to "convert" a freeware to a "module format" to have it work on the N2200 ?
    I was asking cos' I use a freeware as a DLNA server and it would definitely be a great evolution for the N2200 to have it work ...

Thanks again for sharing your knnowledge and your discoveries !!

Peace.

Thanks
    • z/Os's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some Asrock
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X3 720 be
      • Memory:
      • 4 Gb DDR2 1066
      • Storage:
      • LOTSA!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon HD4770
      • PSU:
      • some enermax
      • Case:
      • some chieftec
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 22"
      • Internet:
      • DSL 8 Mb / 512 Kb

Quote Originally Posted by mishav View Post
    Hi, I have not yet got SSH working, but I worked out how to create modules.
    You may like the ROOTCMD module, it allows you to send commands as root via a web page.
    It should work on N0204 as well as N2200, let me know if you have problems.
    Yep, I got it as soon as I spotted it.... that definitely points out the way the Twonky module (and other modules) should be built. Actually I toyed a little with it on friday, but had no time to test it. Thank you anyway for the good job! Unfortunately SSH also needs binaries to be installed (it's not just a shell redirection), so I've gotta figure out a few things... but your ROOTCMD will definitely help me!! :-)

Anyway, the way you built ROOTMCD told me what was wrong in my attempts to build the TwonkyMedia module (path to modules' dir).

Unfortunately *nix isn't exactly my strong point (mainframes are the way I earn my daily bread, as my nick implies), so you'd better not get too excited.... it will take me some time!

Will keep you posted....

NEWS
    Since I can no longer post (have I been too NAUGHTY???), here's what I found about SSH (hope it will help those who are more proficient in UNIX than I am).

There's already an SSH busybox-style included in the firmware (at least in 3.0.0.8)... one has just got to enable it. I didn't try to make it auto-running (no time), but it works pretty fine.

First and foremost: don't to this if you don't know what you're doing.
    Second you need ROOTCMD to do this!
    a) create the symbolic links for the key generator and the SSH server
    ln -s /usr/sbin/dropbearmulti /usr/bin/dropbearkey
    ln -s /usr/sbin/dropbearmulti /usr/bin/dropbear
    b) create a directory for SSH keys
    mkdir -p /usr/local/etc/dropbear
    c) create rsa & dss keys
    dropbearkey -t dss -f /usr/local/etc/dropbear/dropbear_dss_host_key
    dropbearkey -t rsa -f /usr/local/etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key
    d) launch the ssh daemon
    dropbear -r /usr/local/etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key -d /usr/local/etc/dropbear/dropbear_dss_host_key&

If you now launch ps, you will see the dropbear process sitting neatly towards the bottom of the list

I've been unable to log-in with "normal" users, so I had to use root. Since I didn't know the password, I reset it using passwd.

After that, I launched PUTTY, connected to my N0204 and was able to log in. Now I can run commands withouth the need for ROOTCMD.
    Since I'm flying to LA next week, I'm a quite short of spare time from work... so I really had no time to go further than this. Hopefully some guys around here will be able to exploit my experience and make an SSH module.... otherwise I'll give it a try when I'm back!!!

Cheers folks!
    Last edited by z/Os; 08-03-2010 at 06:45 PM. Reason: News

Thanks
    • z/Os's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some Asrock
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X3 720 be
      • Memory:
      • 4 Gb DDR2 1066
      • Storage:
      • LOTSA!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon HD4770
      • PSU:
      • some enermax
      • Case:
      • some chieftec
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 22"
      • Internet:
      • DSL 8 Mb / 512 Kb

Quote Originally Posted by MadGstiK View Post
    Please z/OS, please make it N2200 compatible !!!!!!

Just a question, would it be easier to build a TwonkyMediaModule for the N2200 or to "convert" a freeware to a "module format" to have it work on the N2200 ?
    Well, if there's already a module for another ARM based Thecus, it's no big deal.... that's why I'm confident about Twonky: there's a module for N2100/N4100, so having it work for N2200/N0204 it's a matter of changing paths and adding a couple of strings to a file. (BTW... despite appearance, N0204 and N200 are pretty much the same beast).

Otherwise, you have to find somewhere the binaries for ARM (or compile them yourself) and figure out if it works (and that's where SSH comes handy!). Then you can go on and build the module. Basically a module is a collection of scripts that install stuff and then handle various aspects of the NAS ecosystem (what your application should do when it's enable, when it's disabled, at boot time, when it's uninstalled); if you've got instructions on how to make an application run on another machine, it's not over-complicated to work out how to build a module for it (provided you can get your paws on binaries!).

Short answer to your question: no it's the same level of difficulty for both freeware and commercial software. You just need documentation, binaries and some spare time.

BTW if you only need music, Twonky Music Server is free.....
    Last edited by z/Os; 08-03-2010 at 06:33 PM. Reason: NEWS

Registered+
    Thanks

Exclamation Re: n2200 dropping out of mediaserver [ !!! HALF-RESOLVED !!! ]

Thanks a lot for your answers !
    Sounds a little bit clearer in my head but, as far as i'm concerned, I am not able to help !
    I ain't got any programming skills nor do I know Linux !!! I try and try to find solutions trhu forums and users reports but I do not know what to do with the ROOTCMD module !!

BTW, what is the "DLM2 btg GUI" that AK succeeded in patching ?? What is it designed to ?
    (sorry if I sound like a newbie ... I am !!!)

Anyway, here is a good news : I've had my server media (half)-working with my PS3 !!!

Here's what I did:

- Upgraded to 3.00.08 firmware

- Disabled all functions after I have unchecked shared folders in the Media Server options
    (this include SMB, NFS, Bonjour, Media Server, UPnP, iTunes server application, print server application ... all of them)

- Restarted the Thecus

- Switched the Media Server (with no shared folders) ON

- Checked the "Movie" folder in

- Switched th Upnp function ON

- Switched the SMB service ON

- Restarted (as I was asked after SMB service started)

And ... TADA !!!! The Media Server works and stays available for my PS3 !!
    I can browse movies and stream them w/o any problems !!!
    The only problem remaining is taht the Media Server crashes everytime I check the "iTunes music" folder in Media Server options.

It seems like I can't share my music. There are a lot of folders in my iTunes music folder so it may be out of the Thecus Media Server capacities to share all of them. I noticed that when I was using another soft to share my content, the Thecus is not available as long as the iTunes server application is running. But everything goes right if I turn it off.

I think that there is a problem with the music folder and related functions.

By now, I (still) patiently wait for a solution.

And BTW, for those who were wondering about the customer service, you should know I received an answer to my ticket (these are the exact words !!!):

MadGstiK,
    This message concerns your ticket #YYB-81xxxx. We have not received any response back in 504 hours, and would like to know if you consider this issue to be resolved. If you have any further questions, simply respond to this e-mail.

Subject: Media Server not working, PS3 can't access files ...
    Department: N2200
    Priority: Normal

Please note that the ticket will automatically be closed within 72 hours. The ticket will re-open in the case that you send another reply.

Thecus Technology Corp.

Isn't that amazing ?????
    What was I supposed to answer to ??? I don't know !!!
    I had no former messages nor infos about my ticket, this is the only message I ever had from the Thecus customer service !!!

talkin bout a care service !!! ...

Thanks

Re: n2200 dropping out of mediaserver [ !!! HALF-RESOLVED !!! ]

Hello MadGstick!
    Thanks mate for the procedure. It is (almost) working. No more DLNA errors and I can browse into the folders. Problem is I can not see the files :-(. They are regular .avi and .mp3 files, I can browse every folders there is no files. Might be a user permission issue...
    Any clue?

Thanks

MadGstiK well done on getting the media server working.

Apologies for the cryptic messages.. I'll try to explain.

what is the "DLM2 btg GUI" that AK succeeded in patching ?? What is it designed to ?
    DLM2 is the "Download Manger" module that Thecus offer on their web site, which adds three functions: Bit Torrent client "btg", eMule client, and HTTP client.

btg has two components, one called a "daemon" which runs on the machine quietly in the background. The other is the GUI graphical user interface, which is the web pages.

Thecus have modified the web pages, probably to be compatible with their web server and ajax, but the result is somewhat horrible to use. AK made some fixes so the items on the page do not keep disappearing, and some other fixes. The result is still not perfect, but heaps better.

what to do with the ROOTCMD module
    If you have installed the ROOTCMD module, and want to try it out without damaging anything, try clicking the "Suggestions" checkbox. It should show some commands that you can type in yourself.

Basically, avoid casual use of "rm" (remove files/directories), "ln" (create a link, or shortcut), and be careful of ">" (redirects output to a file, can overwrite files), and "kill" (stop processes running), and "snof" (set NAS on fire) (just kidding!).

Example of linux commands : http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/commands.htm, not all are implemented on the NAS.

Registered+
    Thanks

@Romano74:

First, you need to place your files in specific folders.
    MP3's MUST be in your NAS "iTunes_Music" folder and AVI MUST be in your NAS "Movie" folder.

Concerning users permissions, I used to let free access to my N2200 content (no ACL permissions set up).
    Each of my folders were "Public" and "Browseable" (default options in "Share Folder" properties for each folder on the NAS).
    I used to access my datas by double clicking on the folders in "My Network Places"

Then I set up ACL permissions to read/write files only after having logged on with a user and a password.
    In both cases, I can browse my movies w/o any problem. But no access to my music.

Conclusion: This is not a user permission issue.

BTW, if you wish to set up users permissions, you need to first create a user, set up a password for that user and then go to "Shared Folders".
    There, you need to set up permissions individually for each folder:
    Highlight the folder you want to configure, hit the "Modify" button, change "Browseable" to "Yes" and "Public" to "No".
    Finally, highlight again the folder you just configured and click on ACL in the upper right corner of the action toolbar (that is not available while your folder is "Public") and simply drag the user from the left row to the extreme right row (for full acces : read/write).

Here will come a new challenge : you must type in the password EVERYTIME you restart your computer to access the NAS content !!!! No way to have your password being remembered by windows ... such a pity ...
    Good thing is that you just need to type it in once for all folders.
    (I connected every folder on the N2200 as a Network Drive to have them appear in my workstation continuously)

Anyway, what kind of device are you using to acces your NAS ? Is it a PS3 ?
    In that case, you should know that you need to choose the category you want to browse in the PS3 menu (by pushing "left" or "right" on your PS3 controller's left stick), for example "Music", then go down on the N2200 icon (assuming you can see it here) and finally select "Folder" to have your content being displayed as it is shown in windows explorer.
    I f you try to acces music files while you are in the "Pictures" PS3 menu, you won't be able to see any MP3 nor AVI files.

Hope this will help. Please let me know.

@Mishav:

Thanks a lot for your explanations. I will try that ROOTCMD as soon as I understand a little bit more the Linux environment ... always been a Win user so I feel like i'm all alone in front of my screen everytime I try to use a Linux distribution !!! (very frustrating by the way !!!)
    I'm presently desperately trying to have a Slax distribution to work with WPA wifi network ... it's been a dozen of days (and still counting) that i'm working on it with no success (even with drivers and modules build up directly in the tar.gz on the Slax website !!!)

Finally, many thanks for the media server stuff but I really think that this is due to the new firmware improvements. As I don't own anymore previous firmwares, I just can't tell if this would work with 3.00.07f and/or 3.00.07e firmware versions.
    Last edited by MadGstiK; 04-03-2010 at 02:08 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Talking Re: n2200 dropping out of mediaserver

Quote Originally Posted by mishav View Post
    Basically, avoid casual use of "rm" (remove files/directories), "ln" (create a link, or shortcut), and be careful of ">" (redirects output to a file, can overwrite files), and "kill" (stop processes running), and "snof" (set NAS on fire) (just kidding!).
    Well ... I just tried the "SNOF" command but it seems like there's a firmware error !!!!!!!!

Registered+
    Thanks

Some more informations :

UPNP is not working !
    (I can see the N2200 with my Freebox but I get an error when I try to browse it)

iTunes server application is not working !
    (I can see the N2200 in iTunes but I get an error when I try to sync it)

Webdisk features are not working !
    (I can log in thru the web page but I get an error when the web interface loads and I can't see my files)

Damn ... I think i'll stop testing things on this N2200 ... It's definitely too exhausting !!!

Thanks

Hi MadGstick!

I have not changed the user permissions. The NAS works with default parameters. I have checked the permissions with the ROOTCMD module and all folders/files are rwx so no problem on this side.

Music files are indeed in "iTunes_Music" folder while .AVI files are in "Movie" folder. Still I can not see them.

I have used my TV set (that is DLNA capable), my PS3 and a DLNA client running on my laptop but no joy! I can see the folders and browse into them but I can not see the files. For each DLNA client I have, I used the correct category to browse (Music for music, Video for Movies...)

I can not understand what is wrong here... And the tech support is not answering to my ticket updates.

Registered+
    Thanks

Romano,

This is weird ... I just don't know what's happening. Can you see folders that are into your "iTunes_music" or "Movie" folders and browse them too ?

e.g. : Let's say you have a "Horror" and a "Comedy" folder in your NAS "Movie" folder.
    Can you see them ? Or can you just see the root folder ?

Edit: For some obscure reasons, I cannot post anymore on this thread so I'll just edit in here ...

@Romano:

This is very strange !! I have no ideas.
    It seems like your folders are "Browseable" but not "Public" so that you can see them but not their content.
    Have a look in the "Shared Folders" properties maybe ...
    Last edited by MadGstiK; 04-03-2010 at 02:23 PM. Reason: I can't post anymore on this thread !!!!

Thanks

I do see all folders that are in my iTunes_music (one folder per artist) and movies (hd, not hd...). I cannot see files in the folders and subfolders

@z/Os: thanls for the SSH procedure. It works on my N2200! However I can not reset root password. How did you do that? Passwd is expecting user inputs that can not be given trhough ROOTCMD module.

@MadGstiK: still does not work.... No problem with properties I think...
    Last edited by Romano74; 10-03-2010 at 11:42 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information