• Enermax Infinity 720
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Lcie Electron Blue 2 - 22"

Re: N5500 - N7700 - N8800 FW v3.01.00.2

Quote Originally Posted by ivzanc View Post
    Hello,
    What does not work, for me, is that I can no longer access the Backup tab to set Nsync, page loading never ends and you must close the management interface.
    Hello,
    I solved the problem with NSYNC (do not know if it was due to the version of firmware3.01.00.3 or modules that I removed before moving to 3.01.00.4).

But, perhaps, I have found another a bug in 3.01.00.3 and in 3.01.00.4 (N5500) and not present in earlier versions (to my memory) and I would understand if it is just my problem before opening a Ticket to Thecus.

Enabling Jumbo Frames and transfer via Windows7 directly from one share to another system appears to freeze and transfer slows down to a few Kb/s

If is not direct but occurs between the PC and the NAS, the speed is adequate; disabling the "jumbo frame" everything works normally.

Another small bug on the Module like Rsync, Rsnapshot etc. ... with the new interface the configuration download page of the module is not working even though the two modules work perfectly (it is however necessary to use an ssh session to upload / download configuration).

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dikkiedirk View Post
    Well I'm one of those that uses it mainly for DVD-ISOs BLU-ray Rips MKV and so on. What would b the best stripe size for that?

Is this only for fw 3.01.002 or also for newer versions?
    The technical answer would be a larger stripe size because a larger stripe size does improve read performance. With that said are you really going to notice the performance difference watching a movie? All media players/media PC's cache/buffer anyway and I would argue that even if you used a a 16KB or 8KB stripe size you would not notice any difference either way. If you have a larger stripe size and you put some MP3's or Pictures you can watch your disk space go to waste. Do a test and copy a bunch of smaller files and the look at the properties of the folder and compare Size vs Size on Disk. Using a smaller stripe size does give you the option to store smaller files as well without wasting space.

So the logical answer would be stay with a smaller stripe size to maximize space and ensure you have a Gigabit backbone between you Thecus and Media Devices. I sincerelly doubt you would notice the performance difference.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ivzanc View Post
    Enabling Jumbo Frames and transfer via Windows7 directly from one share to another system appears to freeze and transfer slows down to a few Kb/s

If is not direct but occurs between the PC and the NAS, the speed is adequate; disabling the "jumbo frame" everything works normally.
    I can confirm this awkward behavior on my N7700Pro with 3.01.00.4 and jumboframes enabled.
    In fact my managed switch logs a disconnect for 2-3 seconds... the NAS itselfs for nearly constant 10 seconds (unplug/plug).

I also confirm, that the behavior is gone with jumboframes disabled!

This damned bug made me to rewire my network and change corecomponents (like the switch).

Registered+
    Thanks
    • ivzanc's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X48-DQ6
      • CPU:
      • Q9650
      • Memory:
      • 8BG -1066Mhz
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 4980-2048
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Infinity 720
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Lcie Electron Blue 2 - 22"

Quote Originally Posted by Crypta View Post
    I can confirm this awkward behavior on my N7700Pro with 3.01.00.4 and jumboframes enabled.
    In fact my managed switch logs a disconnect for 2-3 seconds... the NAS itselfs for nearly constant 10 seconds (unplug/plug).

I also confirm, that the behavior is gone with jumboframes disabled!
    Thanks for confirming ... I opened a ticket to Thecus to report the problem ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information