Thread: N5200 (not Pro) disks

Thanks

Question N5200 (not Pro) disks

Hi All

There are several threads on this forum with advice on replacement disks for the n5200, but strangely enough the threads seem to be vague in as much as some posts refer to the n5200 and some refer to the n5200Pro (in the same thread).

According to the compatibility list for the n5200 & n5200Pro it says under the Seagate & WD drives list that "N5200 Standard (non PRO) does not recommend to use 1.5TB and larger hard disk drive".

At present I have 5 x 750Gb disks in RAID5 and upgrading to 5 x 1Tb is not much of an upgrade.

Does anyone know;

1. Why is the n5200 not compatible with 1.5Tb disks when the n5200Pro is? I thought the disk array would be identical and it is only the available interfaces that differ?

2. Is there plans for future firmwares which will allow 1.5Tb (or larger) disks to be used in the n5200?

I suppose the final question has to be whether anyone has, or is, using 1.5Tb/2Tb disks in an n5200 and whether they have had any problems or not?

Thanks in advance

SlipMat

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Manni's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5E
      • CPU:
      • Q9650 3Ghz OCed 3.8Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Corsair DDR2 2Gb x 4
      • Storage:
      • N5200 5x1.5TB (WD15EADS-00R6B0) + QNAP TS-809 (8xWD20EADS)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire ATI 5850 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Sea Sonic M12 700
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 Ultimate RTM
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407W
      • Internet:
      • ADSL 800Kup 8Mdown

Re: N5200 (not Pro) disks

Quote Originally Posted by SlipMat View Post
    Hi All

There are several threads on this forum with advice on replacement disks for the n5200, but strangely enough the threads seem to be vague in as much as some posts refer to the n5200 and some refer to the n5200Pro (in the same thread).

According to the compatibility list for the n5200 & n5200Pro it says under the Seagate & WD drives list that "N5200 Standard (non PRO) does not recommend to use 1.5TB and larger hard disk drive".

At present I have 5 x 750Gb disks in RAID5 and upgrading to 5 x 1Tb is not much of an upgrade.

Does anyone know;

1. Why is the n5200 not compatible with 1.5Tb disks when the n5200Pro is? I thought the disk array would be identical and it is only the available interfaces that differ?

2. Is there plans for future firmwares which will allow 1.5Tb (or larger) disks to be used in the n5200?

I suppose the final question has to be whether anyone has, or is, using 1.5Tb/2Tb disks in an n5200 and whether they have had any problems or not?

Thanks in advance

SlipMat
    1.5tb and 2tb HD work in the N5200, they are just not supported by thecus because of the time needed to rebuild an array with the slower non-pro.
    I have upgraded the RAM of my non-pro to 1gb, and I've replaced my WD1000fyps by 5xwd15EADS. They work fine, except tat it takes 24h to build/rebuild the raid in raid5/ext3 and 30hours with raid5/xfs. This is WAY too long to give any kind of security to your data, and the odds for a second disk to go wrong during a rebuild (following a first disk fault) are pretty high.
    So if you have a current backup of all your essential data (I do), you can try it.
    Otherwise, unless you go for RAID 6 (which would negate a lot of the space gain against raid5 x 5x1tb), I wouldn't do it.
    I've done less tests with my 2tb (wd20eads) but they also seem to work on the non pro. Just imagine the time needed to rebuild though...

Thanks

Hi Manni

Thanks for your input - that makes quite a lot of sense... although where I go from here is anybodies guess as I am now so short on space I have to delete stuff to put more on the NAS.

Why does media have to take up so much space?? LOL.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Manni's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5E
      • CPU:
      • Q9650 3Ghz OCed 3.8Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Corsair DDR2 2Gb x 4
      • Storage:
      • N5200 5x1.5TB (WD15EADS-00R6B0) + QNAP TS-809 (8xWD20EADS)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire ATI 5850 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Sea Sonic M12 700
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 Ultimate RTM
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407W
      • Internet:
      • ADSL 800Kup 8Mdown

Quote Originally Posted by SlipMat View Post
    Hi Manni

Thanks for your input - that makes quite a lot of sense... although where I go from here is anybodies guess as I am now so short on space I have to delete stuff to put more on the NAS.

Why does media have to take up so much space?? LOL.
    As you have a non pro, I would advise against doing a normal RAID expansion, unless you have a full backup or can afford to lose all the data. It takes about 24h to build the RAID with 5x1.5tb, so you don't want to do this 5 times, statistically you have a good chance to get at least one error during rebuild, and then all is gone (assuming RAID 5).

Simplest thing to do is buy another box with as many bays as you can afford and at least 4x2tb or 4x1.5tb in RAID6 (make sure you buy disks and NAS from the same place to avoid problems, 1.5tb/2tb are a nightmare to get to work in almost ANY NAS) and use the n5200 as backup. Format in EXT4 or XFS (to allow for more than 8TB). Don't try raid 5with 1.5tb/2tb drives, it's too dangerous. And then add 1.5tb/2tb at a time in the new box until it's full. That's what I did. Don't believe the compatibiity list from ANY manufacturer, they are a JOKE. And use RE drives (or WD drives which can have TLER activated and work in your NAS).

By the way, avoid the N7700 / N8800, unfortunately they are not as good as the N5200 (look in the forums, many bad experiences with these).

I went for a Qnap TS-809 (with 8x2tb in raid6/ext4) and never looked back (the new TS-859 is more green and a bit less powerful, but almost same performance and less expensive). By the way my 16tb box is aready full

Good luck in your quest!
    Last edited by Manni; 01-02-2010 at 01:20 PM.

Thread Information