Thread: Lost connection with N3200Pro on my imac - help!!

Thanks
    • angels15's system
      • CPU:
      • imac
      • Memory:
      • 300gb
      • Storage:
      • 3tb
      • PSU:
      • Intel Core 2 duo
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.4.11
      • Internet:
      • Airport

Lost connection with N3200Pro on my imac - help!!

I have an iMac and a MacBookPro laptop and have been set up (wirelessly) with a Thecus N3200Pro with 3tb of storage to use as my main storage area (late 2008). When this was first set up, the external drive was always visible in my menu. after a while, this changed and I always had to connect by clicking on the Network icon and then clicking 'Connect' on the pop-up screen. This would frequently disconnect.

Recently, this pop-up stopped appearing and I had to log into the Thecus IP address on the internet before the N3200Pro would power up. About two weeks ago, I lost this access all together. As this is my main means of storing my files, especially image and movie files, this is a major problem. I contacted esupport and was sent some instructions but this was not entirely clear - partly because of the English and partly because of my limited knowledge of how networks operate. I am relatively savvy technically (at least I can follow instructions) but I am therefore concerned that I might wipe all these precious files. I am also not sure that the hardware was correctly set up as this took some time and the person who set it up had not come across this hardware before. In addition, there seemed to be issues because this is a Mac context.

I was advised to "reset the N3200 and configure it again" but it is not clear how to do this - o, more importantly, whether it is possible to wipe my files !

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks

Re: Lost connection with N3200Pro on my imac - help!!

Angels15,

Not sure if I can help you 100%, but the basic things should be checked first I guess:
    - Can you tell how it was configured for sharing this space? are you accessing it the Mac way or like a Windows machine? (connect to server --> smb://ip.add.re.ss)
    - Can you access the N3200 configuration screen on your browser?
    - Does it still appear in your Network? What kind of icon is it?

As far as I know, reseting the unit will not delete any information, but you will have to re-configure all network settings and sharing.

Let us know,

Rievax

Thanks
    • angels15's system
      • CPU:
      • imac
      • Memory:
      • 300gb
      • Storage:
      • 3tb
      • PSU:
      • Intel Core 2 duo
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.4.11
      • Internet:
      • Airport

Hi Rievax

thanks for responding. I am getting the answer to your question re configuration from the person who set it . I presume it was configured for my Mac.

Otherwise - yes I can access the N3200 configuration screen on my browser and I initially reconnected using this but can't now

Secondly, it no longer appears as an option in my Network. It used to just show the name that we gave it.

Thanks

Thanks

Angels15,

Since you still have access to it, it should just be a configuration issue... either on the N3200Pro or from your computer. I don't think you were playing into your N3200Pro's setup, so I would suggest you to think about what could have changed on your OS X - and take actions based on that assumption.

Regarding the N3200Pro, you can configure it the "Windows way" using the standard Windows/SMB/CIFS network service and / or the "Apple way" using Apple File Service (they refer to it as AFP - Apple Network Documentation). You could configure both, but you will have two icons in you Networks representing the same N3200Pro.

For the AFP setup, go to Network --> AFP , enable the Apple File service and leave * in the Zone. OS X should figure out the rest by itself.

On my N4100Pro, I have the same setup for thing the "Windows way" (called Samba / CIFS)... not sure if you have it in the N3200Pro - they don't say anything in their documentaion. Enabling it won't do anything bad... as I said, you will just have 2 ways to access your N3200Pro.

Once everything is configured (may require a reboot of the N3200Pro - be patient), you should be able to access it through your Networks icon. Click and enter your credentials: the connected N3200Pro should now appear onto your desktop.

Another method of connecting the N3200Pro is to select "Connect to Server" in your Finder's "Go" menu... then either type:

afp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/you_folder_name (where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is your N3200Pro IP)

or smb:// [same thing as afp] ( and that is the Window Way).

Your should be able to use the assigned name to the N3200Pro instead of the IP, but if it doesn't work, please try the IP... it may tell us what the curent problem is.

Last thing: do you use the wireless dongle on the N3200Pro or do you have a separate wireless router? Could it be that you have a conflict with somebody arround you? If you can connect with a physical wire and DISABLE the wireless on you OS X, please try...

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Rievax

Thread Information