Thread: Powered Graphic Cards.

Registered+
    Thanks

Powered Graphic Cards.

Can anyone help? I had two powered graphic cards in my PC when it went back to the makers for a repair nothing to do with the graphic cards, they replaced them with unpowered cards without asking me when I queried the change they told me that graphic cards powered by the motherboard were better!

Thanks
    that sounds dodgy.

Powered graphics cards are usually more powerful than non powered ones.

Can you explain the situation better. what was wrong and when did this happen.
    Gaming PC: Athlon 64 3400+ @ 2.4 Ghz Stock; Shuttle SN85G4V3; Club 3D X800XT; 2x1Gb OCZ PC3200 EL Platinum 2-3-2-5; SB Audigy 2 ZS; WD Raptor 150GB; Maxtor DM10 200Gb; Pioneer DVR 110

Media PC: Athlon Thunderbird 1.2 Ghz; Shuttle SN45GV2; Geforce 2 MX; 2x256Mb OCZ PC3500 CAS2; Seagate Bararcuda 160Gb; NEC DVD

Registered+
    Thanks

Graphic Cards

Hi mate, what happened was I bought a PC from Mesh AMD X2 4400, 1 gig ram, 2x6800gt's, 2x250 HDD, Asus sli Delux m/board.
    It kept crashing randomly they sent a bloke out who replaced m/board, still random crashing, eventually they had it back to base, they explained there were issues with the dual core chips and offered to turn off one of the cores, I said no I will pay to change to a FX57 and another gig of ram and a floppy drive this they did, the PC came back when I booted it there was some nvidia dialogue about not enough power. I thought oh they haven't plugged one of the cards in, I opened it up and what do you Know there was no where to plug the power cables into, I removed one of the cards and found the heatsink had a lump missing out of it! the other just has that used well handled look I think anyone would agree that they were used. At first I thought I was going mad but I remember when the PC first arrived when I checked that they were running ok the temp of one card was higher than the other Mesh said that, it was normal and I could change the cards to check this I did so I know the original cards were powered.
    When I tackled Mesh they said it was an upgrade!
    Thanks for your interest.

Thanks
    I suspect this should be persued in the correct forum , ie the mesh one where I understand your case is currently being delt with.
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thread Information