Antec Home Antec Info Antec products Where to buy Antec support Antec enclosures Antec PSUs Antec media components Antec accessories Antec cooling Antec 80 PLUS products
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clicking Sound from H2O 620 Pump

Thanks

Clicking Sound from H2O 620 Pump

I just installed an H2O 620 yesterday and it worked great, no problems. 24 hours later I get a constant sound coming from the pump/waterblock that I can only describe as the sound a hard drive makes when its writing to the disk.

Any suggestions?

Antec support
    Thanks

Re: Clicking Sound from H2O 620 Pump

I believe you sent in a ticket with the same issue to our support team but I can handle this here as well...

While the system is 100% contained, there is a bit of air left in the radiator to give room for the water to expand as it heats up. Due to this, the air can create a pocket which causes turbulence and unwanted noise.

If you dismount the radiator and shake it a bit while the pump is running, this should help release the pocket and circulate the excess air through the radiator & tubing, removing the noise.

If you're certain that the noise is coming from the pump and the above method doesn't fix the issue, then this is something that is absolutely covered by your warranty.

If you haven't received a message from our support team, let me know at VIP@ANTEC.COM

Thank you,

Jessie Lawrence
    Internet Marketing Manager
    Antec Inc.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Antec-tech View Post
    I believe you sent in a ticket with the same issue to our support team but I can handle this here as well...

While the system is 100% contained, there is a bit of air left in the radiator to give room for the water to expand as it heats up. Due to this, the air can create a pocket which causes turbulence and unwanted noise.

If you dismount the radiator and shake it a bit while the pump is running, this should help release the pocket and circulate the excess air through the radiator & tubing, removing the noise.

If you're certain that the noise is coming from the pump and the above method doesn't fix the issue, then this is something that is absolutely covered by your warranty.

If you haven't received a message from our support team, let me know at

Thank you,

Jessie Lawrence
    Internet Marketing Manager
    Antec Inc.
    I did submit a request through Antec and received a reply today with some advice on how to fix it. I was told like you said to remove and shake the pump. Unfortunately the instruction didn't say to do it while the pump was running. So I did it with the system off and reinstalled it and the problem is still there.

So I'll try it again with the pump plugged in and see if that helps. Thanks for the reply.

Thanks

I replied to the Antec support through email but also wanted to post here as well with what I have done so far and an update.

I removed the pump/waterblock from the cpu, booted the computer with the pump running and tapped on it with the handle of a screw driver and shook it. It is still making the noise though. It would stop when I positioned the pump perpendicular to the ground, but as soon as I set it on it side, parallel to the motherboard, it would start again.

So next I turned the radiator 90 degrees so that the tubing is situated on the bottom end of the pump rather than the top. Once started I am still experiencing the noise.

After making adjustments I can hear noise like lots of bubbles making their way through the system. After all the bubbles have been pumped through it is quiet for about 5 seconds and then the clicking sound starts.

Thanks

Hi phrossbyte,

Did you get things sorted with the clicking sound issue?

Best regards,

ANTECsupport

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Support@ANTEC View Post
    Hi phrossbyte,

Did you get things sorted with the clicking sound issue?

Best regards,

ANTECsupport
    I had been working with Peter and he had another cooler sent to me. I have the same issue with this one. So he said they were gonna send the original one to the manufacturer to see what the issue might be.

Thanks for following up.

Thanks

I had exactly the same issue. With the pump making exactly the same sound.
    Nothing I did to the radiator made any difference, so I rotated the cooling block from sideways to right way up.
    This didn't work, so I turned it completely upside down. With the plumbing coming out of the top.

Fixed. The pump is completely silent now.

Thanks
    • walibe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8P67B Pro
      • CPU:
      • iMac 2017
      • Memory:
      • 16 Gig Corsair Vegence
      • Storage:
      • 10 T.B Total
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvida GTX 755M
      • Operating System:
      • Mavericks / Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27"
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

Must say I didn't experience this when I installed mine. Was a little worried when I read this but I must say what an excellent cooler and such great value for money compared to the H50 and H70 which this cooler seems to be a hybrid of!

Glad the noise got sorted, that would really annoy me too .
    Laptop - Macbook Pro Retina 13" (Early 2015) i5/8GB/256GB
    Desktop 1 - iMac 27" (late 2012) i7/32GB/1TB Fusion Drive
    Desktop 2 - i7 2600K/32GB/1TB/GTX 760
    Server - HP DL160 G6 2 x Hex Core Xenon x5650/64GB/8TB
    NAS - ASUSTOR 604T ATOM Dual Core/3GB/16TB

Thanks

Since the cooler is not filled to the max, air may become trapped in the pump. This usually resolves itself. It does not matter if the hoses are coming out the top or bottom. The cooler works in both directions. Should the sound not disappear, try to reinstall the cooler and while doing so shake it a bit around. Some tapping on the cooling block might help as well to get the air pocket moving out of the pump.

KÜHLER H2O 620 is a further development of the H50. The cooler plate is out of the third generation and therefore performs much better than H50.

At the moment I have KÜHLER H2O 620 running on an Intel Core i5 2500k. At 100% load on all four cores, and running the stock fan permanently at 7V while the pump is connected to the Mainboard, temperatures remain around 46°C to 49°C.

Thanks
    • walibe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8P67B Pro
      • CPU:
      • iMac 2017
      • Memory:
      • 16 Gig Corsair Vegence
      • Storage:
      • 10 T.B Total
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvida GTX 755M
      • Operating System:
      • Mavericks / Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27"
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

For my core i7 2600k I installed a second fan and get even better temperatures than that. Its such a good piece of kit - I recommend the second fan!
    Laptop - Macbook Pro Retina 13" (Early 2015) i5/8GB/256GB
    Desktop 1 - iMac 27" (late 2012) i7/32GB/1TB Fusion Drive
    Desktop 2 - i7 2600K/32GB/1TB/GTX 760
    Server - HP DL160 G6 2 x Hex Core Xenon x5650/64GB/8TB
    NAS - ASUSTOR 604T ATOM Dual Core/3GB/16TB

Thanks

Re: Scots golfing pilgrimage pecial: Northern gems

Scots golfing pilgrimage pecial: Northern gems

WITH OVER 550 courses to choose from, Scotland has many dozens of hidden gems, several of the more remote of which still operate an honesty box system, where visitors are trusted to post their green fee (often as little as £10) into an unattended box close to the first tee. Most, however, keep a welcome in the clubhouse or pro shop and offer tasty food and drink as well as recommendations on where next to call on your golfing pilgrimage, depending on how far you're prepared to travel and what you can afford. When it comes to a golf break, your first choice has to be Scotland. The Highlands boasts some of the finest golf courses in Scotland with the likes of the historic and immaculate Royal Dornoch, ranked among the world's top ten courses and originally the work of Tom Morris. Hot on its heels is the equally demanding Nairn course. another remarkable links near Inverness and underlining Scotland’s investment and development of the golf industry is the brand new Highland links and Castle Stuart.

------------------------------
    clubsgolfsale.com

Thanks
    • daffy101's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z68A-GD65-B3
      • CPU:
      • I5-2500K - 4.3Ghz antec 620 cooler
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD/1TB storage/80GB SSD raid
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 560Ti MSI Hawk
      • PSU:
      • Antec truepower blue 750w
      • Case:
      • Fractal design R3
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24" LCD

I also have an Antec Kohler 620 that is making a noise, going to try what is suggested here tomorrow see if it helps. The noise is just like the sound of a fish tank pump which hopefully just means air is trapped inside the pump housing. Would it be okay to tap the housing while it is on the CPU?

*edit* - took the pump and radiator out to tidy up my cables and replaced the thermal paste when i refitted the pump housing i fitted one or two notches out of horizontal (so the writing on it is at roughly at 30deg) and the noise has completely gone. Probably just coincidence but no more fish tank for me!
    Last edited by daffy101; 29-10-2011 at 10:40 AM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Ubique's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P31-Ds3L
      • CPU:
      • E8400 @ 3GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB DDR2 @ 400MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung spinpoint F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD4670 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Big, Old, Heavy!
      • Case:
      • Shiny and Blue
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro 32bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Samsung Sync Master 710v
      • Internet:
      • BE Pro @ about 20kbps

I have just installed a new Antec Kohler 620 to my athlon X3. I get the same fish tank kind of noise from the pump. Have tried shaking it and installing it different ways up - no luck. However if I put the whole system on its side it goes silent. Not sure how that is really a solution but means it CAN be silent - just got to do something to it. I have submitted a ticket to Antec - will let you know what they say.

Thanks

Hi there,

If all the shaking of the rad and positioning the cold plate in a different way does not resolve the noise issue, you have to get a replacement. Keep in mind though, that some noise is normal, althought it certainly should not be of the disturbing kind, and when closing your enclosure it should not be audible in any way unless you put your ear really close to it.

ANTECsupport

Registered+
    Thanks

it is more than likely air bubbles, like antec support said, just shake it about a bit to try and remove them, happens with many closed liquid coolers, it also helps to just run it for a while as that seems to get rid of problems too

Thanks

Just bought this cooler yesterday, same problem . The clicking noise is not tolerable, defeats the purpose of this device (quietness). I have tried every suggestions in here, the only that make the pump silent is to keep it horizontal, which is not an option in my case.

Anymore ideas on what to do besides returning the device? I open a support ticket with antec as well, no replies so far.

Thread Information