Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What causes squeaky brakes?

Spider pig, spider pig
    Thanks

What causes squeaky brakes?

My brakes have started squeaking, surprisingly enough, when I brake. Not all the time, but they do it sometimes and it annoys me a bit... what normally causes this and what can I do about it?

Thanks
    • Grey M@a's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K (With H100i cooling)
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, 1TB Cavier Black WD HD, 4TB Cavier Black WD HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390X Gaming Edition 8GB
      • PSU:
      • SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 850W Fully Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG 24GM77-B 144Hz
      • Internet:
      • 100MB Virgin Media Cable
    well basically wear and tear, but if its just started, go to your local garage and ask for a tube of copper grease, its expensive but basically apply to brake pads and jobs a goodun, squeeky breaks be gone, although your pads could be on the way out but copper grease works a treat its what most mechanics will use anyway when applying new pads

Nox
    Vorsprung durch Technik
    Thanks
    • Nox's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Yes
      • CPU:
      • Yes
      • Memory:
      • Yes
      • Storage:
      • Yes
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Yes
      • PSU:
      • Yes
      • Case:
      • Yes
      • Monitor(s):
      • Yes
      • Internet:
      • Yes
    just put new pads on it. DON'T put copper grease on 'disk side' of the pads either - unless you don't want to stop! and I can't see how putting it elsewhere would stop squeaking? i'm assuming they aren't drum brakes?

Nox
    Last edited by Nox; 01-12-2004 at 08:58 AM.

Oh no!I've re-dorkalated! Jiff Lemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Depends if they front or rear brakes that are squeeling.
    Lack of abestos in the friction material means that squeeling is more common.

Generally it's a sign that the accumalated dust needs cleaning and then everything cleaned up and greased.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiff Lemon

Generally it's a sign that the accumalated dust needs cleaning and then everything cleaned up and greased.
    Very true, you can try copper grease but it depends on the formulation in the friction material of the pads you have got.

If it doesn't solve it, you may want to get a set of 'softer' pads or pads with a high Carbon content, you'll get a lot more brake dust but they should be a lot quieter (until the dust builds up ). VAG use Textar as OE to combat noise and to increase service intervals, they have a really high carbon content, hence why most VAG's you see have loads of brake dust on the wheels.

It can be advantageous to use softer pads anyway as your discs will last longer...

No Sensei, i'm not kicking the mats to waste time, they have parted and I don't want to injure myself!

Nox
    Vorsprung durch Technik
    Thanks
    • Nox's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Yes
      • CPU:
      • Yes
      • Memory:
      • Yes
      • Storage:
      • Yes
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Yes
      • PSU:
      • Yes
      • Case:
      • Yes
      • Monitor(s):
      • Yes
      • Internet:
      • Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiff Lemon
    Depends if they front or rear brakes that are squeeling.

I would of said generally its a sign of needing to replace the pads! If they are worn down enough, metal on metal will squeak. Use it as an early warning and take a GOOD look at them...

Nox

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nox
    just put new pads on it. DON'T put copper grease on 'disk side' of the pads either - unless you don't want to stop! and I can't see how putting it elsewhere would stop squeaking? i'm assuming they aren't drum brakes?

Nox

You stick it on the back of the pads, where the piston pushes on em. the squeak is just a very high frequency vibrataion... the grease damps the vibration out, stopping the squeak. Done this on me mountain bike - works a treat (got hydraulic disc brakes)

Quote Originally Posted by The Quentos
    "My udder is growing. Quick pass me the parsely sauce." Said Oliver.

Thanks
    • Grey M@a's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K (With H100i cooling)
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, 1TB Cavier Black WD HD, 4TB Cavier Black WD HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390X Gaming Edition 8GB
      • PSU:
      • SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 850W Fully Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG 24GM77-B 144Hz
      • Internet:
      • 100MB Virgin Media Cable
    forgot to add, some places call it copper slip instead of grease but its the same stuff, but as said if you are getting squeeling from the brakes strip em down and take a good look as they could be shot instead of on their way out.

Thanks
    Some cars have a low pad warning device which is a piece of metal which comes in contace with the disc when the pad is low. This makes a squeeling noise. Otherwise copper grease is the way to go. either way you need to take the pads out, so you'll be able to look and see if the pad is low.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    or...its just possible...that a small rodent is sat on the caliper. Now he's a quiet, nice little chap, who keeps himself to himself.... but when the brakes get REALLY HOT, they burn his bum, and he squeaks to show his objection.

Well....that's what I tell people

can't say fairer to be honest

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    Next you'll be saying theres a cat living on his gearbox!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak33
    or...its just possible...that a small rodent is sat on the caliper. Now he's a quiet, nice little chap, who keeps himself to himself.... but when the brakes get REALLY HOT, they burn his bum, and he squeaks to show his objection.

Well....that's what I tell people

can't say fairer to be honest

what on earth was in that schmoke you had with your pancake last night??

Quote Originally Posted by The Quentos
    "My udder is growing. Quick pass me the parsely sauce." Said Oliver.

Thanks

Re: What causes squeaky brakes?

hey guys, i really need some help.

My Car - Skoda Octavia (maybe 08/09 or something - not the fantasia look the one before it)

When I’m braking (specifically, right before I’m about to come to a complete stop) I hear a high pitched squeaking sound. But I got to the point where this is what I know.

1 - My brake pads are fine; they are still 'new.' I know the sound when your brake pads are out, it has happened to me like 3 times with this car. It’s much louder. This is a more high pitched but not nearly as loud sound - nevertheless very annoying.

2 - I tried the whole drive fast, and stop thing. It might have worked for a bit but the sound came back. I’m not sure if I did it fast enough (i.e. both with respect to speed and stopping speed) but I will try again later today when the roads are emptier and I can find a good spot.

3 - the mechanic (officially licensed Skoda, VW, Audi, Peugeot, Benz, bmw, etc...) guy said something about rust, and that maybe washed my car/rims when the metal was still hot and it ruined (i.e. eroded/rusted) it.

4 - When I told him about the supposed anti-squeaking gel that you put on the back of the rotor I think, he said they don’t have it or maybe the car doesn’t have that. So I’m not sure about that one either. Also, when I told him about the 'wire' that can be used to remove rust he said he doesn’t know about that either. So those two things I will try to find another licensed place and ask him.

5 - We cleaned the rimes/brakes/etc... (We did not remove wheel, we just air cleaned it) and he sprayed them with what I think is good quality stuff (looked foreign - live in Egypt and don’t trust local stuff) and it was fixed but for less than a day.

Help plz....

Thanks
    • jon bda's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 G0
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Kingston HyperX
      • Storage:
      • 250gb (Boot) 4x 500gb (Storage)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS HD5770 1gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V1010
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 204BW
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by michael77 View Post
    We cleaned the rimes
    LeAnn???

Thanks
    • Jasp's system
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k @ 3.4GHZ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 512Gb Crucial MX100 1 x 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 670 SC
      • PSU:
      • 850W Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Coolmaster Haf X V2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64-Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2412M 1920X1200
      • Internet:
      • 6Mb ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by michael77 View Post
    hey guys, i really need some help.

My Car - Skoda Octavia (maybe 08/09 or something - not the fantasia look the one before it)

When I’m braking (specifically, right before I’m about to come to a complete stop) I hear a high pitched squeaking sound. But I got to the point where this is what I know.

1 - My brake pads are fine; they are still 'new.' I know the sound when your brake pads are out, it has happened to me like 3 times with this car. It’s much louder. This is a more high pitched but not nearly as loud sound - nevertheless very annoying.

2 - I tried the whole drive fast, and stop thing. It might have worked for a bit but the sound came back. I’m not sure if I did it fast enough (i.e. both with respect to speed and stopping speed) but I will try again later today when the roads are emptier and I can find a good spot.

3 - the mechanic (officially licensed Skoda, VW, Audi, Peugeot, Benz, bmw, etc...) guy said something about rust, and that maybe washed my car/rims when the metal was still hot and it ruined (i.e. eroded/rusted) it.

4 - When I told him about the supposed anti-squeaking gel that you put on the back of the rotor I think, he said they don’t have it or maybe the car doesn’t have that. So I’m not sure about that one either. Also, when I told him about the 'wire' that can be used to remove rust he said he doesn’t know about that either. So those two things I will try to find another licensed place and ask him.

5 - We cleaned the rimes/brakes/etc... (We did not remove wheel, we just air cleaned it) and he sprayed them with what I think is good quality stuff (looked foreign - live in Egypt and don’t trust local stuff) and it was fixed but for less than a day.

Help plz....
    Depending on the brakes and mileage of the car it could be any number of things, if the pads had been on since new and its a 08 plate and say 30000k they will be due to be replaced, a lot of pads now contain a small metal strip that contacts the disc on breaking making the high pitched squeal to tell you the pads are shot.

If you convinced the pads are fine you need to strip the brakes down and clean them, this can be done using emery paper, something with a decent grit I would think around 320-400 maybe less, clean the pad faces and the disc itself, pay attention to the lip around the edge to make sure its clean. You then need to use copper grease on the back of the pads (NOT ON THE FACE) this allows the pad to move freely. If a piece of rock or something has entered the pad it may have scored the disc itself causing grooves, these will need planing out by a professional. Don't use any copper grease on the disc either, you can put it on the back of the disc more specifically the hub to allow you to get it off easier in the future but you shouldn't need the disc off.

Make sure you don't loose the anti rattle springs when you dismantling the calliper (the bit that holds the pads), if you have drum brakes which I doubt were you can't see the disc behind the wheel, don't bother dismantling them as its too easy to loose bits.

If you do decide to give it a go make sure no-one presses the brakes while your pulling it apart, as the calliper piston will fly out then it becomes a nightmare lol.

Any yer holy threat necromancy lol.

Registered+
    Thanks

It can be caused by 'glazing' on the friction surface. This usually occures when people ride the brakes i.e. braking a little for a longer than necessary period, coming up to a round about for example.

This can be resolved like the previous posted said, buy rubbing the pads with coarse emery paper.

Alternativly if its only a mild case, some heavy braking manuvous could remove the glazed surface.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information