• Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Lg 43"
      • Internet:
      • Utility Warehouse

Meet the folders...

Who are you, and what do you do?
    Hi, I’m Mike Buzzing and I’m 37 years old.

Great name eh? My Dad keeps Bees, which I swear he did just to add insult to injury! The hairy one in the photograph is Ruffus, my dog, and guardian of the folding room. By daytime I'm an MCP and work as an IT Business Analyst for a tinned foods producer – That’s a posh way of saying I work in Application Support. I get to write the specs and test all the functionality of our Business Systems, which is really interesting - I get to travel to Italy, Holland, Ireland as well as working here in the UK to work with my Sales colleagues.

How did you get into folding?
    I read about it in CustomPC, and then started to get into it via the Bit-tech forums.

Where do you fold and how often?
    I fold 24/7 on a couple of machines, depending on which ones are currently “in the workshop”

Please share the details of the folding rigs you have and the spec/range of specs of those rig(s)?
    1. Number of rigs that fold: 5
    2. OS: Win 7 X64 (x3), Win 7 X86, Win Vista x64
    3. Folding Processor(s): i7 980X @ 3.46ghz, i7 970 @ 4.33ghz, i7 950 @ 4.0ghz, E8600 @ stock, P9400 @ stock
    4. Folding GPU’s: GTX 480 SLI, GTX 295, GTX 285, 9600 GT
    5. Clients: SMP on athe CPU’s, GPU2 v6.23 on all GPGPU’s

Do you plan to continue folding at the current rate? What are your targets?...
    I plan to fold indefinitely, with the kit I’ve got. I’m in the process of downsizing and reallocating kit to get more out of it. I’m going to consolidate to clear a bit of space in my room, and raise some funds to start paying for this hobby.. I’d like to get to Number 1..... one day!

Do you have any plans to change your folding gear in the next 12 months?
    Yes. Rebuilding several machines to go into different cases with upgraded water cooling thus allowing me more overclocking headroom.

What will be the next bit of kit you invest in for folding?
    I’m retaining the hardware I’ve got and working on some sub-ambient cooling project materials... watch the modding forum for more details.

What change would you like to see most in the folding fraternity?
    I’d like to see the ability to pool the resources that your farm has to work on 1 unit together, rather than being rewarded on the merits of each machine. A reverse cloud if you will... An automated Stats service as well so I only have to post the social commentary!  Maybe the inclusion of a mobile phone client to fold...

What’s the most useful tip you’ve been given or found out to get the most out of your folding kit?
    For me, there’s been 3 things:
    1. Look at the rates of your machines and compare them vs others. There can be silly things slowing you down (ie artificially limiting the GPUs by only having them fold on LOW priority, not based off the slider).
    2. There is an optimum for each machine setup, but it varies by machine/client etc. You might want maximum points, this can be achieved by just turning on everything and pumping out numbers. Equally BIGADV units give you more points for returning them quicker – find your happy half way ground.
    3. Don’t be afraid to ask! The forums are full of my banter. I’d consider myself quite knowledgeable on folding, but people interpret things or have learnt other things that you haven’t. Pop by there and join in! You can save yourself hours of frustration sharing...

What change would you like to see made by Hexus to support the Hexus folders in their quest for (folding) world domination?
    I’d like to see the integration of the folding stats into Hexus directly, and badges or awards for reaching landmarks integrated with the users control panel. A “you’re a folding millionaire”, or “Folder of the month badge” as part of the users profile rather than as part of their signature.
    Join the HEXUS Folding @ home team

Thanks
    • Queelis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 32 GB 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 512 GB, Toshiba E300 3TB, WD Green 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit Geforce RTX 2060 Super
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet PurePower 10 600W
      • Case:
      • be quiet! Silent Base 601
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell P2414H
      • Internet:
      • Gbit

Re: Meet the folders...

Erm, yeah.. try pronouncing Kęstutis Gelažius. Or, actually, don't bother

That's me jumping into a lake on a summer's day last year, after a 2-day cycling trip, while it was 30-odd degrees outside. For around 80KM. Was a smart decision, that.

I'm a dentistry (yes, yuck, argh, whatever ) student at Vilnius university (the oldest one we've got ). But I've had PCs as a hobby long before I've known what I'll study in Uni. And didn't want any computer science studies - I like PCs as a hobby only.

Stumbled upon it on some forum on some very illegal site for doo-dads But there are some very knowledgeable people there, I've learned a lot about folding from them.

Around 14-16 hours a day on my Bawks (yes, I do call it that).

Please share the details of the folding rigs you have and the spec/range of specs of those rig(s)?
    One lowly SMP client

The fans are actually spinning, but aperture time is very low with the flash. And I really need to vacuum it, ugh And need to change that silly Katana 3 heatsink to something chunkier, but don't have the funds at the moment.

Fold until summer comes (I leave for the great big You-Es-of-Eh for the summer, so the folding will be stopped for those three months, sadly). Then - possibly upgrade? I want a six core on the cheap

Six core! But only if the price drops reasonably. And, of course, an SSD. In the Autumn, most probably.

Six core! Again!

What’s the most useful tip you’ve been given or found out to get the most out of your folding kit?
    Greatest find - the affinity settings. They work great for gaming, so that folding doesn't ground to a halt, and I don't have to restart the client and lose 3 minutes max of folding

I like to think I've given at least some people a bit of insight on undervolting and its results, and getting their CPUs to fold as efficiently as they can at their defined clock speeds (I just don't feel like overclocking just for folding).

What change would you like to see made by Hexus to support the Hexus folders in their quest for (folding) world domination?
    Maybe a bit more than being tucked away in a sub-sub-sub-section of the forums? Level up, anyone?

Roll up, roll up, who will be the next one?

3. Received thanks from:

Rob_B (03-03-2011),Tattysnuc (04-03-2011)

Thanks
    • nibbler's system
      • CPU:
      • i5-2410m
      • Memory:
      • 6GB ddr3 1333mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Plextor M5S SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1GB 6650M
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit

My name is Nick Black, and I'm in my last year of school

I also read about it in Custom PC and then when i got a faster pc and saw that hexus was recruiting as it were, I gave it a go.

I turn my pc on every morning before school (well, almost every morning), then leave it on while I'm out, normally turning it off at about 11 each night.

I have one rig, currently with a 3.65Ghz triple core athlon with a 1GB GTX460 at 850mhz core.

No plan really, just keep going at the moment and if I have to slow down, I have to slow down, but if I can afford to speed up I'll do so

Not definite plans

An AMD bulldozer cpu with any luck

Smaller work units for the SMP core...

-smp

A cool pink name for me
    Last edited by nibbler; 03-03-2011 at 09:12 PM.
    Join the HEXUS Folding@home Team!!

Thanks
    • nibbler's system
      • CPU:
      • i5-2410m
      • Memory:
      • 6GB ddr3 1333mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Plextor M5S SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1GB 6650M
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit

Also, you look like nick frost, tatty
    Join the HEXUS Folding@home Team!!

Thanks
    • Teamsreth's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P55-GD65
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 750 + Titan Fenrir
      • Memory:
      • 4GB G-SKILL 1600mhz CAS7
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Twin Frozr 560 ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair VX450
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 690
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H

Hi, my name is Phill Cleverley.
    I will edit to add a photo, when I find one.

I work at Motorcycle dealership, currently as Service advisor.

Can't really remember, but as I used to fold on the CPC/Bit-tech team, I must have read about it there. Did stop for a while, then as I spend a lot of time lurking, I found the Hexus team.

I fold at home, and for as long as I can get away with.

1. Number of rigs that fold: 1
    2. OS: Win 7 X64
    3. Folding Processor(s): i5 750 @ 3.3
    4. Folding GPU’s: 560ti
    5. Clients: SMP on the CPU, GPU3 on the GPU

I will continue as long as I can get away with it, but probably wont be able to run 24/7 for much longer. The points/WUs will still rack up as the 560 can punch 9/10 WUs a day. Aiming to be as high as possible, but am under no illusions that one machine, my gaming rig, is not enough to challenge the top few places!

Will likely stay as is, unless I come into some money!!!!

A way of pausing the SMP client, without just closing.

Spend some time in the Hexus Folding forum, some really helpful people, and if you are running the SMP, -smp and get 10WUs done ASAP. Hmmmm, Bonus points!

I think it has been mentioned before, but a coloured name, and possible badges for landmark scores.

7. Received thanks from:

Tattysnuc (04-03-2011)

Senior Lurker
    Thanks
    • Englander's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i5-6500
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • SanDisk 128GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD 530 Integrated Graphics
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 400W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 100R Silent Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2515H
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 38Mb/2Mb

Good evening! I am Michael and I don't do much at the moment. I spent a term at a certain London med school before concluding that I would actually quite enjoy a gap year so I have undertaken an interruption of study since Christmas. In short, I've temporarily indefinitely dropped out. The most significant consequence of this is that I no longer have free electricity (which I did in my uni digs) so my PPD has taken a bit of a hit, I'm afraid. As for what I do right this moment, I volunteer in a charity shop down the road 3 days a week and live off my uni grants + loans

The other four days a week, I make very vague attempts at finding a job which actually pays money, but I quite like the charity shop (it's newly set up so still very much forming into its ultimate goal of a coffee shop. The coffee machine arrived yesterday!). I also frequent the local gymnasium from time to time, too.

I don't do pictures, but imagine something not dissimilar to a ninja and you get a fairly accurate idea.

Can't really remember, but I think it was something along the lines of: I stumbled across it on these here forums and thought it would be a terribly good idea to fold as a way of testing my computer stuff and to use up any CPU cycles going spare.

I fold in my bedroom during waking hours (typically about 10am to ~12am)

1. Number of rigs that fold: 1
    2. OS: Win7
    3. Folding Processor(s): None anymore (used to be OC'ed i5 750
    4. Folding GPU’s: GTX 460
    5. Clients: GPU

The plan is to fold indefinitely at the rate I'm going at now (just shy of 6k ppd). I think I've reached the highest position in the team (7th) that I can at this rate, unless everyone suddenly stops folding, so my target is it fend off any rival folders as best I can and continue chugging through the folding milestones.

Nope

I'm content with my computer at the moment, in terms of processing power, so in the near-mid term future there won't be any changes.

SMP pause would be very useful, as would a console SMP client like the GPU one.

Power usage increases at a geometric rate with voltage increase when overclocking. (I think I've got that right.)

A more official acknowledgement of folding by the powers that be. The news stories that pop up now are a step in the right direction. I'm really keen on the idea of coloured names/ badges or whatever to make it better known about by the rest of the Hexus community. I also feel that we're a very well hidden sub-sub-sub forum like a previous poster mentioned, maybe that can change.
    Last edited by Englander; 03-03-2011 at 10:48 PM.

9. Received thanks from:

Tattysnuc (04-03-2011)

Thanks
    • 1stRaven's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VIII Hero
      • CPU:
      • I7 6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Corsair DDR4 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung Evo 850 M.2, 2 x Samsung EVO 850 500Gb, Seagate 3tb HDD, 24Tb Unraid Server
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x PNY GTX 1080 FE
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Be-Quiet Dark Pro 900 Silver
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 22" and 1 x Dell U2913WM
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 150Mb

Hi I'm Ryan, 29 (not 30 yet) and I work as an Infrastructure Manager.

Found it in a new section once on Hexus.

I fold on my home machine while it is switched on and some servers 24x7.

1. Number of rigs that fold: 12 (at the moment)

Two many to detail here but the average is below.

High

Dedicated folding rig or part time -Part Time
    Brand/Model/MHz of CPU(s) - 2 x Intel Xeon X5650 @ 2.67Ghz (6 Cores plus HT)
    Brand/Model/Mhz of GPU(s) - None
    Brand/Model of Motherboard(s) - Dell Own
    Brand/Model of PSU - Dell Own
    Case & Any Mods Done - Dell R410 1u Rack mount server
    The Rig's approximate PPD - 30000
    Operating system/Driver version(s) Used - Windows 2008 Server Standard Edition
    Virtual or Native SMP(s) - Native

Low
    Dedicated folding rig or part time -Part Time
    Brand/Model/MHz of CPU(s) - 1x Intel Xeon E5630 @ 2.53Ghz (4 Cores plus HT)
    Brand/Model/Mhz of GPU(s) - None
    Brand/Model of Motherboard(s) - Dell Own
    Brand/Model of PSU - Dell Own
    Case & Any Mods Done - Dell R410 1u Rack mount server
    The Rig's approximate PPD - 8000-9000
    Operating system/Driver version(s) Used - Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition
    Virtual or Native SMP(s) - Native

I try to fold as much as possible but on a downturn at the moment. Going to try and stick with 100kppd if I can but as the servers come out of testing, folding is removed and waits until the next set of servers turn up.

Yes but no idea to what. I do need to update my home pc's cpu so will start smp folding on that once I get the money to upgrade.

Sandy Bridge CPU

ATI folding client that is actually worth some points.

For me, there’s been 3 things:
    Bigadv units are worth the hassle.

Some sort of name colour change to promote those that fold but also to bring others in.

11. Received thanks from:

Tattysnuc (04-03-2011)

Now with added Ruffus Dog Tattysnuc's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Tattysnuc's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus 570X Strix F
      • CPU:
      • 3900X @ Stock
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb Rysen C18 Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x 1TB nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2080 ti under Bykski water
      • PSU:
      • eVGA 850W
      • Case:
      • TT Core 5
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Lg 43"
      • Internet:
      • Utility Warehouse

Quote Originally Posted by nibbler View Post
    Also, you look like nick frost, tatty
    Nah. He's too 'andsum!
    Join the HEXUS Folding @ home team

Thanks

Rob B - 28yrs old & currently a DB2 DBA (soon to be moving jobs due to offshoring by my #@!3$ company

(I'm the taller one btw...)

I started back when Futuremark was MadOnion.com for their team, on and off, using a P3 1Ghz IIRC (did I mention I had the fastest P3 1Ghz + GF MX200 combo EVA!?)

On & off, when my PC isn't hiberbated so maybe 2 or 3hrs/day + a few more hours at night. Sometimes more like when trying to hit the 100m mark!

<--- See my specs

I plan to carry on as is for now, SMP folding seems to get me nowhere so I'll keep hammering the GPU & fancy upgrading to a 460/560 or something soon (budget, wish I didn't have one!) Getting to 100 was fairly painless, getting to 50 is a bit more tricky!

Yup, I'll probably go Bulldozer with a decent GPU sometime in the next few months funds permitting.

Hmmm...tricky, smaller SMP WUs, less penalty for smaller delays in submitting, we can't all keep them on 24/7!

Overclock the tits off it...

More news items, prizes (they must get some freebies to give away!) Name colour change, say you get it for continually folding for a period of 6months, losing it if you don't return 1 WU per week or something?

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

good thread... excellent thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Hi, I’m Aaron, 19 and I'm a student

At first just by reading up on it but seriously since Tatty bumped the Hexus team.

I try to fold as much as i can, maybe 4-6 WU every other day across GPU and SMP.

1. Number of rigs that fold: 3*
    2. OS: Win 7 X64 (x2) PS3 OS.
    3. Folding Processor(s): i7 860 @ 3.6GHz, Athlon X2 @ 2.8GHz, Cell B.E. @ 3.2GHz (PS3)
    4. Folding GPU’s: GTX 460 SLI
    5. Clients: SMP on athe CPU’s, GPU3 on the 460's

* ^ main folding rig, specs on the left.
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

16. Received thanks from:

Tattysnuc (06-04-2011)

Thread Information