Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Disturbing update to Microsoft's Services Agreement

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: Disturbing update to Microsoft's Services Agreement

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    No it's not a no, I've already provided the articles that show what services Windows 10 uses even when you're not using them yourself (I.e Windows 10 uses those services independently of the user), if you choose not to read those articles that's up to you, if pleading ignorance and then accusing someone of FUD because you refuse to read the articles they provided then that's your choice, you can only lead a horse to water, you can't make them drink so they saying goes.

EDIT: Not that I'm expecting you to actual read the articles, but just in case you CBA to scroll up the screen to find the links to the articles that give you the names of some of these services that are covered by the MSA, installed by default in Win10, that you seem so desperate to know about then here are links to the two articles again, The Arstechnica Article, and the Rob Seder blog post.
    You said it yourself. If Windows is using software to communicate, in the background, without your knowledge, then YOU aren't "using the services". Microsoft is. That might be obnoxious of them, it might be invading your privacy, and it might be spying on you, but I can't see any definition under which it makes the PC owner a "user" of those services.

You, it seems, do think that. Fair enough. But that's why I agreed with you that there was "no point" continuing the debate.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    You, it seems, do think that. Fair enough. But that's why I agreed with you that there was "no point" continuing the debate.
    Fair enough, I guess how the Windows 10 EULA and the MSA are interpreted is ultimately one for the lawyers.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Fair enough, I guess how the Windows 10 EULA and the MSA are interpreted is ultimately one for the lawyers.
    Ultimately, yeah.

I'm certainly not in any mood to tackle MS in court, though, so it comes down to either accepting whatever interpretation MS choose to apply, or simply not using relevant MS products or services in the first place. My current stance is I'm not using such services, and have yet to go to Win10. And very much doubt I ever will.

Splash

No it's not a no, I've already provided the articles that show what services Windows 10 uses even when you're not using them yourself (I.e Windows 10 uses those services independently of the user), if you choose not to read those articles that's up to you, if pleading ignorance and then accusing someone of FUD because you refuse to read the articles they provided then that's your choice, you can only lead a horse to water, you can't make them drink so the saying goes.

EDIT: Not that I'm expecting you to actual read the articles, but just in case you CBA to scroll up the screen to find the links to the articles that give you the names of some of these services that are covered by the MSA, installed by default in Win10, that you seem so desperate to know about then here are links to the two articles again, The Arstechnica Article, and the Rob Seder blog post.
    You'd already provided the links, and I'd already read them. I also see no reference in either of them to an end user using any of the services listed. As Saracen has pointed out, Windows sending data to servers identified as being related to those specific services does *not* constitute an end user using those services. Again, as Saracen has pointed out you seem convinced that it does.

I'm not, as you suggest pleading ignorance. I'm asking you for clarity. So, in the interest of clarity: please indicate from the list of services below (which I took directly from the MSA) which an end user is forced to use (and as such, bound by the terms of the MSA) with Windows 10.

The following products, apps and services are covered by the Microsoft Services Agreement, but may not be available in your market.
    Account.microsoft.com
    Advertising.microsoft.com
    Arrow Launcher
    Bing
    Bing Apps
    Bing Desktop
    Bing Dictionary
    Bing in the Classroom
    Bing Input
    Bing Maps
    Bing Navigation
    Bing Reader
    Bing Rewards
    Bing Search app
    Bing Toolbar
    Bing Torque
    Bing Translator
    Bing Webmaster
    Bing Wikipedia Browser
    Bing.com
    Bingplaces.com
    Choice.microsoft.com
    Citizen Next
    Cortana
    Default Homepage and New Tab Page on Microsoft Edge
    Device Health App
    HealthVault
    Groove
    Maps App
    Microsoft account
    Microsoft Family
    Microsoft Health
    Microsoft Translator
    Microsoft Wallpaper
    Microsoft XiaoIce
    MSN Dial Up
    MSN Explorer
    MSN Food & Drink
    MSN Health & Fitness
    MSN Money
    MSN News
    MSN Premium
    MSN Sports
    MSN Travel
    MSN Weather
    MSN.com
    Next Lock Screen
    Office 365 Consumer
    Office 365 Home
    Office 365 Personal
    Office 365 University
    Office Online
    Office Store
    Office Sway
    Office.com
    OneDrive
    OneDrive.com
    OneNote
    Onenote.com
    Outlook.com
    Picturesque Lock Screen
    Pix Lock
    Skype Manager
    Skype Qik
    Skype WiFi
    Skype.com
    Smart Search
    Snipp3t
    Spreadsheet Keyboard
    Sway.com
    Translator
    UrWeather
    Windows Live Mail
    Windows Live Writer
    Windows Movie Maker
    Windows Photo Gallery
    Xbox and Windows Games published by Microsoft
    Xbox Live
    Xbox Music
    Xbox Music Pass
    Xbox Video

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x1tb Hitachi 7200's, WD Velociraptor 320gb primary
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Win10/Slackware Linux dual box
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 24" 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    You'd already provided the links, and I'd already read them. I also see no reference in either of them to an end user using any of the services listed. As Saracen has pointed out, Windows sending data to servers identified as being related to those specific services does *not* constitute an end user using those services. Again, as Saracen has pointed out you seem convinced that it does.

I'm not, as you suggest pleading ignorance. I'm asking you for clarity. So, in the interest of clarity: please indicate from the list of services below (which I took directly from the MSA) which an end user is forced to use (and as such, bound by the terms of the MSA) with Windows 10.

The following products, apps and services are covered by the Microsoft Services Agreement, but may not be available in your market.
    Account.microsoft.com
    <snipped a lot of stuff>
    Xbox Video
    The vast majority of which can be outright removed from the system with NO consequence. The only two I see which either cannot be removed or would cause severe issues are Cortana (which cannot be removed - only disabled, and crippled by removing the voice recorder) and OneDrive, which can be removed, but will break the file system at some point.

(not commentary on the post - continuation)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    You'd already provided the links, and I'd already read them.
    Blahh..Blahh.Blahh
    As has already been pointed out we disagree, simple.

Lets leave it to the lawyers shall we, unless you really want to waste everyone's time with hours of debating something that ultimately wont be decided until such a time as Microsoft finds themselves in the courts, something that is probably inevitable seeing as they found them selves in a similar situation with the simple inclusion of an Internet browser.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information