Thread: System with NF-M2 nView turns on, then quickly turns off

Thanks

System with NF-M2 nView turns on, then quickly turns off

Hi ppl!

I wonder if anyone here has encountered a similar problem to mine:

I have assembled a completely new system, all new components. The motherboard is installed in the case, with the processor and BOX heatsink that came with the processor on it, and with ONLY ONE 1 GB memory module installed - I am using a minimal number of components so that I can easier determine which one is broken. Both power connectors (24-pin and 4-pin) are connected, and also the rear bracket that comes with the motherboard (with 2 USBs and IEEE1394), and the case front panel connectors (USB and AC'97), and all the case switches and leds too (pwr, rst, pwr led, hdd led, pc speaker). Storage devices are disconnected, they're not necessary at this stage. Of the fans, the 4-pin CPU fan is the only one connected to the motherboard, and the 12 cm front intake case fan is connected to one of the standard 4-pin power connectors of the power supply.

The red 5VSB led (LED1) is on.

Here is what happens when I push the power button on the case:

1) FOR APPROXIMATELY 1 SECOND (MAYBE EVEN A LITTLE SHORTER) THESE THINGS HAPPEN:
    -the green VCC led (LED2) lights up
    -all the fans start spinning: CPU, power supply, front case fan
    (not a single sound from the PC Speaker is heard)

2) THEN, VERY QUICKLY AFTER THIS SHORT MOMENT HAS PASSED:
    -the green led goes out
    -all the fans stop

Please tell me if this situation sounds familiar to you and if you know the cause of this problem.

It looks to me as if the motherboard is turning on some self-protection mechanism to prevent system damage, as if some components or contacts on the motherboard were shorted with some metal parts of the case, or as if the CPU fan was disconnected, but I am positively 100% sure that neither of those are the case. (the CPU fan is not broken because I clearly see that it starts spinning, along with all the other fans)

I have tried to clear the CMOS memory. it didn't help.

I have tried another power supply that works for sure: ENERMAX 350W - actually it doesn't have the 24-pin power connector, only 20-pin, and of course it has the 12V 4-pin connector. The red 5VSB led turned on again, so I guess it is enough power for this motherboard. Anyway, didn't do any good - the same situation as before: system turned on, and shortly thereafter turned off.
    I have also tried to connect the FORTRON power supply to another PC and turned this other pc on - it was working.

I can conclude that something is wrong with one or more of these 3: CPU, MB, or MEMORY (least likely, high quality Kingmax 75$ sticks)

I have tried the other memory module as well, but I haven't tried the dual channel combination with two modules - is it possible that the system won't boot up because of a faulty memory module? I think it doesn't matter, a faulty memory module is not a reason for the whole system to turn off, am I right?

Did I forget to connect some cable or add some basic component?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

---

System specs:

Subject: System turns on, then quickly turns off

Motherboard: NF-M2 nView (S/N: NFM2NUDJ000059) (here are the specifications: http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/mothe...E=Socket%20AM2)

BIOS Version: not flashed, the version that comes out of the box (I'm not even able to boot the system normally, so I don't know which version I have exactly)

CPU: AMD Sempron 3000+ BOX

Memory brand: KINGMAX DDR-667 (Module P/N: KLCD48F-A8KB5)

Memory size: 2 GB

Memory configuration: 2 x 1 GB modules

Graphics card: none (built-in graphics)

Power supply maker: FORTRON (FSP) Blue Storm II, ATX v2.2, has a 24-pin power connector and 4-pin 12V connector

Power supply wattage: 350W (here are the specifications: http://www.fsp-group.com.tw/europe/1...d=49&proid=515)

Storage devices: HDD Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 120 GB 8 MB cache, DVD+/-RW LG H42N-BK

Operating system: not yet installed

---

Thanks
    Actually, maybe nothing's wrong with any of the 3 components:

check this out: http://www.lejabeach.com/ABIT/nf-m2/

Look at the 3. change in the BIOS version nfm211.zip: Cool n' Quiet: Set to disable

Sempron doesn't support Cool n' Quiet. Maybe that's why the system won't start.

I checked the CPU compatibility tests on abit site: http://www.abit.com.tw/cpu-support-l...-m2_series.htm

It says there that this MB works OK with Sempron 3000+, but note that all CPUs the tests were performed with the latest version of BIOS, BIOS ID:13

So (if there are no other opinions about this) maybe I should change my question:

Can I flash my BIOS without the CPU connected? Will I be able to boot with just the floppy connected (for flashing bios), and the memory and monitor of course? Or do I have to get an Athlon CPU somewhere (which supports Cool n' Quiet)?

Didn't want to try this because I'm out of thermal grease, and also because applying it is such a p-i-t-a... Still hoping to get it working as it is...

Someone please confirm if I'm making any sense.

Thanx.

Thanks

Thanks
    Send your details to sean@abitcomputer.co.uk and I will sort you out a new bios.

Old Fool!
    Thanks
    • EtheAv8r's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus V Gene
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K @ 4500 Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • 2 x Samsung EVO 850 SSD; 1 x Samsung 2TB HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S-12 650 Energy+
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2713H
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity II
    Quote Originally Posted by ABIT Sean View Post
    Send your details to sean@abitcomputer.co.uk and I will sort you out a new bios.
    Now this is Service .... if you had an other manufacturers board you would not get this - you might not even get a response!
    Try to make each and every day the best it can be.

Thanks
    Now this is Service .... if you had an other manufacturers board you would not get this - you might not even get a response!
    Yeah, I was surprised, actually!

Way to go, ABIT!

Thanks
    check that the CPU HSF is properly fitted - the Intel HSF imo isn't the best design.

the hsf is plugged into the CPUFan header & not 1 of the others?

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Thanks
    @ buff

thanx, checked. Must be sth else.

Thanks
    Did you find out of this problem?

I have the exact same problem with the same Mobo and CPU, although for me it worked for a while until this problem occured.

The computer worked OK for about a month, and then one night I got a beeping alarm. I shut down the computer, thinking it may have become hot. It was working quite hard at the moment and the room was also quite hot. After letting it cool down for a while I started it again, and it worked for a couple of days until I got this alarm again. This time it wouldn't get back up after shutdown (controlled manual shutdown from the OS).

The symptoms are exactly as you describe. The red LED is on, when I press power, all the fans start running (including CPU fan) and the green LED lights up. Immediately after that it stops again. No beeps or diagnostics or anything.

I've read that the beeping alarm may be either wrong voltage or high temperature, but is it possible to distinguish between the two cases, or is it the same alarm?

I also have a 350W PSU, could it be that I need more power? I have two IDE HD's + DVD/RW-player as well as a PCI WLan card, a Hauppauge PVR-150 and an external USB disk (with separate PSU).

Any ideas?

Thanks
    @ tseval

Basically I gave up trying and just left the whole system to the dealer to test it. They tested the components separately, and all of them (mobo with another cpu, sempron on another board) worked perfectly. Their explanation was that the NF-M2 nView just doesn't like Sempron 3000+, so my problem was "solved" in the way that they offered me to replace the Sempron with an Athlon 3000+, for a small amount of extra cash of course.

Actually here's the whole story: when I brought them the system, I asked them to try to fit it with any AM2 Athlon on the spot (thinking of Cool n' Quiet / factory BIOS that I mentioned here before), hoping the issue would be instantly resolved. They agreed, and when they put it into the socket, guess what, the system was working, it didn't turn off like with Sempron! But, another problem came up - there was no output on the monitor. So I left them the system for a more thorough testing. They told me the cpu was ok, but the motherboard had to be replaced, and when they saw that the fresh NF-M2 nView also wouldn't work with the Sempron 3000+, they came to the aforementioned conclusion.

In your case: maybe at first it worked, then it didn't want to work for some time, then after some time maybe it will miraculously work again, but in any case you got major instability going on. My suggestion to you would be to replace the cpu with an Athlon.

Moral of the story: always let the dealer assemble AND TEST your new pc - if you don't like the cabling, you can always reassemble it later on

*This thing with the dealer lasted a whole month - a huge waste, given what the problem really was...

Thanks
    @ tseval

About the alarm: there is no way to distinguish between the causes of the alarm from its sound, but actually there are 3 reasons why it may start - it can also be the fan speed! You CAN see what the alarm is about by opening the Abit EQ monitoring utility - depending on the exact problem, there the voltage / temperature / fan speed will be shown in blinking red (even if there's no sound, i.e. if the pc speaker is disconnected). I had the same beeping alarm running on my other pc (also Abit mobo) for about a half an hour till I figured this out. I didn't want to turn off the pc because I just knew nothing could be wrong with the temperature (I have really good cooling set up in that pc) or the voltages (Seasonic S-12 430W, the prototype of a stable PSU), so I was playing around a bit and realized that I set too low a fan speed threshold for the system fan in the Abit FanEQ utility, and this whole beeping started right after I installed a low-noise PAPST cooler - yeah I know, I'm a dummy, but I just wasn't able to relate the alarm with the new cooler... When I increased the threshold, the horrible alarm stopped instantly - with a mouse click, it was like a miracle for me.

So, just in case, even if there was no alarm before when your system was working, check the the fans for RPM, and check your Abit FanEQ settings.

How about your cooling, is it good?

350W is ample for the components you have, no worries here. Brand is always better, though. You didn't specify the maker of your psu.

I got my new NF-M2 nView system working flawlessly. Good luck to you in achieving the same.
    Last edited by problemo; 07-06-2007 at 09:30 AM. Reason: forgot just a little somethin'

Thread Information