Thread: Need help with IP35-E and 18 beta BIOS

Thanks

Need help with IP35-E and 18 beta BIOS

Hi everyone. New member, but a long, long time user of Abit boards. I've been running with an IP35-E for the last couple of years and during the summer installed the 18 beta BIOS found here (thanks). It actually did not solve my E8400 E0 temp problems (not sure why not), but I kept using it because it got me to 4.05GHz @450MHz FSB. So I figured it couldn't be too bad.

Well, I installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64 a couple of weeks ago (no troubles). Once I finally got all my apps migrated I decided to try the Virtual XP mode (need it for one or two old but useful apps). When I ran Microsoft's check utility it said I did not have Virtualization capability on my hardware. Confused, I rebooted and went into the BIOS to see if maybe I had to turn it on. I honestly never noticed it before because I really didn't need it, but I was surprised to see under CPU Feature that I had neither that nor the 1/2 multiplier capability listed. Has anyone else had this happen?

Is it possible that a bad flash could cause BIOS features not to show up? Is there a better BIOS for the IP35-E, E8400 E0, with all features working and good OC'ing capability? I'd be willing to turn off the Temp alarm if it's an earlier version.

Thanks

Re: Need help with IP35-E and 18 beta BIOS

Quote Originally Posted by tonyptony View Post
    Hi everyone. New member, but a long, long time user of Abit boards. I've been running with an IP35-E for the last couple of years and during the summer installed the 18 beta BIOS found here (thanks). It actually did not solve my E8400 E0 temp problems (not sure why not), but I kept using it because it got me to 4.05GHz @450MHz FSB. So I figured it couldn't be too bad.

Well, I installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64 a couple of weeks ago (no troubles). Once I finally got all my apps migrated I decided to try the Virtual XP mode (need it for one or two old but useful apps). When I ran Microsoft's check utility it said I did not have Virtualization capability on my hardware. Confused, I rebooted and went into the BIOS to see if maybe I had to turn it on. I honestly never noticed it before because I really didn't need it, but I was surprised to see under CPU Feature that I had neither that nor the 1/2 multiplier capability listed. Has anyone else had this happen?

Is it possible that a bad flash could cause BIOS features not to show up? Is there a better BIOS for the IP35-E, E8400 E0, with all features working and good OC'ing capability? I'd be willing to turn off the Temp alarm if it's an earlier version.
    I have an IP35-E as well and using a much older BIOS, something from Dec 2007 IIRC. I forget the number but VT-x works without a problem for me. Back when I ran Windows 7 RC and XPM Beta it worked flawlessly.

Thanks

That would have been like version 14. I don't think that version supports an E0 E8400. At least I'm not sure it would.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • kater-acme's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35
      • CPU:
      • E8200 8 x 450 + Ninja fanless
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1 GB 1066
      • Storage:
      • RAID 0 WD VR 150GB + SQD 2,5"
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4770 820/950 + AC S1 fanless
      • PSU:
      • SS ET 400W
      • Case:
      • Antec P150
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ult 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 971p

Regarding your temps - a loooot of E8xxx CPUs have damaged or miscalibrated thermal diodes. My E8200 can't get lower than 46 degrees, lol. My friend has identical setup (E8200 + IP35) - same problems, not going below 40.

For E0 CPUs (and R0 like PDC E6300) you really need to have the newest modded bios. It does enable 0.5 multis and does enbale EIST. Don't know about the VT technology, never used it myself.

If you have the modded bios and you don't have 0.5 multis.... well, I don't know for sure, but if flashing goes wrong the mobo is just dead, not partially working. Are you sure you have the modded bios?

Thanks

I did get an updated BIOS from a link in the IP35 thread on Anandtech. Sure enough it worked like a charm. Everything is running fine now. The one I was using also said 18b1, so go figure. Could have been a bad burn, but who knows.

Thread Information