Thread: [IP35] Graphics card fan whirs loudly on startup and the monitor doesn't respond

Thanks

[IP35] Graphics card fan whirs loudly on startup and the monitor doesn't respond

CPU: 2x Intel Core2 Duo @ 2.7Ghz
    GPU: NVidia GeForce 8800 GTX 768 MB
    Motherboard: Abit IP35 Dark Raider
    HD Space: 258.2GB
    RAM: 2 GB, Patriot DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
    PSU: Be Quiet! 650w

I've had the same system for about 2 or 3 years now. I have never had a problem, until now. However one issue I did have was that whenever I turned the power on from the front panel, the system would start to boot up, and then the fan on the graphics could would start to spin fast and loudly, the system would then reboot itself and this time it would work normal (including a single beep).

Recently however I replaced the PSU because my old one completely burnt out. After this, the computer booted a couple of times completely normally without going through the process of the fan spinning loudly and rebooting.

However after a few successful power ons, there came a time when I turned it on and the fan started spining fast and loudly on the graphics card but this time the computer didn't restart itself and it just continued to whir and the monitor stayed unresponsive. The only thing to do was to turn it off.

These problems become more and more frequent to the point where I may get it to start once in 5-10 times like normal, but now I'm not even sure it will start at all.

At first I assumed it was the graphics card because that was that fan that spun loudly, however today I tested it with my old graphics card (an ati radion card) and this time the fan doesn't spin like crazy, however the screen still remains completely unresponsive and I don't hear the beep from the motherboard telling me that it has booted up.

So far, on a bare bones system, I have tried using each stick of RAM on it's own (in both slot 1 and 2 and refreshing the CCMOS each time), unplugging the ATX power connectors while refreshing the CCMOS (I couldn't work out how to take out the battery) and I've generally just checked that everything has plugged in correctly.

It seems like the PSU had something to do with it, but it doesn't seem like I'm not getting enough power, because I tried it with pretty much everything but essentials unplugged. Also when it does start, it appears to run completely fine doing quite demanding things.

Thanks for your help,

Will

Thanks

Re: [IP35] Graphics card fan whirs loudly on startup and the monitor doesn't respond

I sent this also on the Abit technical support form on their website, and they still haven't replied after quite a few days. Anyone know how I can get in contact with them about this?

Also if anyone has any ideas on how I can progress with this issue (so not a solution but just advice on what to next) that would be great too. E.g. should I fork out some money and go to a computer repair shop, or just what I can do to try and troubleshoot it further?

Thanks!

Registered+
    Thanks
    • kater-acme's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35
      • CPU:
      • E8200 8 x 450 + Ninja fanless
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1 GB 1066
      • Storage:
      • RAID 0 WD VR 150GB + SQD 2,5"
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4770 820/950 + AC S1 fanless
      • PSU:
      • SS ET 400W
      • Case:
      • Antec P150
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ult 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 971p

Re: [IP35] Graphics card fan whirs loudly on startup and the monitor doesn't respond

I'd assume it's either a mobo problem or RAM problem.

The new PSU should not be the culprit, as you say that when the PC works it can be loaded - and that's when the PSU, if faulty, should fail (if at all). The 8800GTX is a power hog, so it would certainly let you know if it has not enough juice while gaming - not necesarilly when booting.

One more thing - is your CPU overclocked stably? And I mean LinX / Orthos prio 9 stably?

Thanks

did you find out the problem because mine has started doing it as well

Thanks

OK, I ended up buying a new PSU - the Corsair TX 850w power supply. This solved my problem up until now, but now I have got exactly the same problem again. Please help me out!

The abit technical support are terrible - every time I have contacted them on the form on their website, they have never replied!

Thanks

OK, I've been reading around a lot and I found out this 'double boot' problem is inherent with these motherboards. Apparently it can be fixed with a BIOS update, but how the hell can I update my BIOS when the system gets stuck in the first of these 'double boots'?

Thread Information