• Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec SOLO
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 24"

Any newer Guru Clock software?

Just got a Guru Clock (V3) for my AN8-32X and the CD software supplied (5/05) is too old to recognise this 2006 board. Unlike the Guru software itself I cannot find any versions at all on the ABIT FTP site. Is there a newer version available please?
    I've partially got it working by creating a guruclock.ini (copying from another board entry) but I get a constant problem now with every reboot where, after an overclock (which worked fine before), I get the "Overclock failed...resetting to default mode..." popup.
    Cheers

Thanks
    Please try the following

Update the bios to v1.2
    http://file.abit.com.tw/pub/download...x//an83212.zip

and download and intstall the following
    uGuru software to V3.028
    http://file.abit.com.tw/pub/download...guru_v3028.zip

You will need to uninstall the old version and restart your system before installing the latest software.

I hope this helps.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • b00sfuk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AB9 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • 4GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 320GB & 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800 GTS 512
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec SOLO
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 24"
    Quote Originally Posted by ABIT Sean
    Please try the following

Update the bios to v1.2
    http://file.abit.com.tw/pub/download...x//an83212.zip

and download and intstall the following
    uGuru software to V3.028
    http://file.abit.com.tw/pub/download...guru_v3028.zip

You will need to uninstall the old version and restart your system before installing the latest software.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks, though I'm already running BIOS 1.2 and I've tried uGuru 3.018 (m/b CD), 3.028 and the latest 3.030 that has just appeared on the Taiwan site; still no luck.

There are 2 issues that I'll clarify more:

1. The Guru clock software that comes with the clock does not know of the newer AN8-32X board. Specifically it adds guruclock.ini into the older boards directories but not the newer such as the AN8-32X (i.e. C:\Program Files\ABIT\uGuru\0012). In fact in only updates the directories for the AW8 & AL8/BL8 products. I can get round this as I mentioned before but a newer version is needed for it to work out of the box. In fact, because of this, the software supplied with the clock can never work out of the box for any user of a newer board.

2. The odd "Overclock failed...resetting to default mode..." on system restart after installing/configuring the clock. This is weird and is not because of an overclocking failure i.e.:

- Installing only Guru sofware (no clock) I can set OC profiles & overclock and all works great on reboot.
    - Install & configure clock and it still works fine providing I don't overclock. If I do just once then all subsequent reboots will then give this message.
    It is almost as if there are now some eroneous entries stored in the guru chip that is causing the "reset to default mode" to kick in. Though this does not stop me using the OCGuru features as overclocking still works fine (though I'm still testing) I find the error message on every reboot annoying (resetting to default mode in itself is not an issue).
    I can temporarily fix this by removing the respective dlls (OCGuruOLE, OCGuructl) from the "C:\Program Files\ABIT\Common" directory, though then of course I lose the overclocking feature.

All this makes me think there must be (or needs to be) some later software than 5/05 software supplied on the CD with the Guru Clock - can this be confirmed one way or the other? If needed I'm also happy to do some further problem determination if it helps.

Thanks again for your time & hope this makes some sense.

Thanks
    According to head office the software and bios info I gave is correct, and should allow the guru clock to work.

I have been told that you may want to try uninstalling the software and trying again. If all esle fails you should try reinstalling windows.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • b00sfuk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AB9 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • 4GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 320GB & 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800 GTS 512
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec SOLO
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 24"
    According to head office the software and bios info I gave is correct, and should allow the guru clock to work.

I have been told that you may want to try uninstalling the software and trying again. If all esle fails you should try reinstalling windows.
    Sean, thanks for the quick response, aplogises for yet another long response!
    I think I've already covered all the options you suggest though (and Windows was a fresh install only a 4 days ago). I will have another go but I'm pretty confident in what I've done so far. First though ,can I just clarify one thing though on the software as I still think there is no way that the Guru Clock software I have will work with the AN8-32X correctly.

You confirmed that I should be using these to get the Clock to work:
    Guru III: v3.028 (also using now v3.030)
    BIOS: v1.2

But am I using the correct version of the GuruClock software that is supplied separtely, on a CD with the Guruclock, that installs as a plugin to the Guru software above?
    - Install Program: Plugin_Setup.exe 25/5/05
    - GuruClock_Plugin.dll 3.0.2005.509 9/5/2005
    This is where I think the problem is as this is very old and the install does not know about the later AN8-32X board.
    I should also point out that without installing or configuring the Guruclock all the standard Guru functions/software work great. The problems only occur after installing the Guruclock plugin software and interestingly only go away again if the Guruclock plugin is uninstalled and the clock is reset to an unconfigured state (in uguru chip I guess) with a full power off.

Thanks again for your time and sorry to keep pursuing this but I really want to sort it out.
    Simon

Thanks
    Its not the motherboard that is supported by the GURU CLOCK its the onboard GURU CHIP.

I think the easiest thing for me to do is run my own tests. If everything works then there maybe another fault somewhere.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • b00sfuk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AB9 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • 4GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 320GB & 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800 GTS 512
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec SOLO
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 24"
    Sean, thanks again for looking at this.
    Its not the motherboard that is supported by the GURU CLOCK its the onboard GURU CHIP.
    I appreciate that the V3 clock needs a V3 guru chip. One reason that makes me believe that the Clock plugin software needs to recognise the individual motherboard is that the main Guru software creates a configuration subdirectory for each motherboard type (e.g. C:\Program Files\ABIT\uGuru\0012 for the AN8-32X). However, the AN8-32X one is not populated with a guruclock.ini file (as other earlier boards are) on subsequent installation of the plugin software (as I detailed before).

Simon

Registered+
    Thanks
    • b00sfuk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AB9 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • 4GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 320GB & 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800 GTS 512
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec SOLO
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 24"
    Sean, hi again, I've been doing some further testing over the weekend on this new board and have come into further problems that make me think I might be heading towards an RMA

While I still think that (1) above is due to out-of-date Guruclock software, I now think that (2) is a symptom of a problem with the hardware (guruchip?) itself. I'm now using S3 standby and have found that on just about every other wakeup that all the OCGuru BIOS settings are reset to default (OC, fans etc.) though the other non OCGuru BIOS settings are unchanged. This also happens less frequently with power-ons (get F1 message etc.).

I've tried CMOS reset, reflash 1.2 and also a fresh install with just Windows & the Guru software (no Guruclock attached or plugin installed) and still same problems. This motherboard recently replaced a AN8 Ultra which worked fine with all the same components so I think it must be a board problem. I also can't see it being a battery problem as there are no issues with the main BIOS. The PC is not overclocked.
    I've also experienced a number of the voltages (top 4 in list) in OCGuru reading 0V - another issue that might originate from the guru chip.

I don't kow if this is the right channel but I guess I'm looking for some confirmation that I should look for a RMA/refund through my vendor?
    Thanks again for your time.
    Simon

Thanks
    At the end of the day if you feel that the motherboard is not 100% you are well in your rights to ask for a refund or replacement.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • b00sfuk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AB9 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • 4GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 320GB & 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800 GTS 512
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec SOLO
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 24"
    Sean, thanks, I shall probably do that, postpone going SLI and go back to the AN8 Ultra for a bit. I did like the board but the standby issue is just too much of an inconvenience to me.

Thread Information