Thread: KN9 SLI CMOS issue - won't start!

Thanks

Exclamation KN9 SLI CMOS issue - won't start!

I've finished putting together my friend's new computer: Athlon 64 X2 3800+, KN9 SLI mobo, 1GB RAM, and a GF 7300GT. When I first booted it up, nothing appeared on screen, so I reset the CMOS with the jumper, and it POSTed and said that there was a CMOS Error - Defaults loaded. If I reset it again, or change the bios settings and save them from there, when it reboots I get the blank screen again.

I've tried doing everything in the manual, and I tested the CMOS battery, which reads 3.05V.

One thing I noticed while hooking everything up is that the power supply has a 20 pin connector, and a separate 4 pin connector that kind of "hooks in" to it to make a full 24 pin connection. However, in the manual, the pins are labeled differently for the location were the separate 4 pin connector attaches for the 24 pin versus the 20 + 4 pin. I have tried just not attaching the separate 4 pin connector, and I ran into the same problem described above.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
    What memory are using, the DDR2 voltages maybe set to low.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PfhorSlayer View Post
    One thing I noticed while hooking everything up is that the power supply has a 20 pin connector, and a separate 4 pin connector that kind of "hooks in" to it to make a full 24 pin connection. However, in the manual, the pins are labeled differently for the location were the separate 4 pin connector attaches for the 24 pin versus the 20 + 4 pin. I have tried just not attaching the separate 4 pin connector, and I ran into the same problem described above.
    what PSU?
    A lot of recent ones have a 20+4 plus the other 4-pin for the ATX12V1 (or even a 4+4 for the mobos with 8-pin connectors)

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Thanks
    One thing I realized is that if I press F1 when it gives me the CMOS error, it boots up just fine. I installed Windows in this manner, and everything else seems to work. Changing the bios settings gives me the blank screen, still.

The RAM is DDR2; my friend is out at the moment so I'm not sure exactly what rating it has and all that, but I'll check when he gets back. What should I do with the DDR2 voltage?

Quote Originally Posted by BUFF View Post
    what PSU?
    A lot of recent ones have a 20+4 plus the other 4-pin for the ATX12V1 (or even a 4+4 for the mobos with 8-pin connectors)
    This is exactly how it's set up. I'm not sure of the actual model (it came with the case, and I'm not able to see it at the moment, my friend is out and it's in his room). However, it is 500W; I checked when I was installing to make sure it had enough power.

Thanks
    DDR2 memory can be a bit tricky, especially 800Mhz & above. When you first switch on the board the bios will set the memory to run at slower speeds to enable the board to post. Once you have loaded the optimized defults it will set the memory to run at the spec speed. If the memory requires over 1.8v to do this it will cause the motherbaord to fail.

Thanks
    So my friend figured something else out: If you turn the computer on from being completly off, it will not boot. Black screen, no POST. However, if you then hit the reset button, it will boot just fine. I checked the RAM voltage, it's 1.76V.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PfhorSlayer View Post
    So my friend figured something else out: If you turn the computer on from being completly off, it will not boot. Black screen, no POST. However, if you then hit the reset button, it will boot just fine. I checked the RAM voltage, it's 1.76V.

Any other ideas?
    What type of RAM is it?

Registered+
    Thanks
    As Sean has mentioned already you need to find out from the ram manufacturer what voltage your memory should be running at. The default voltage of 1.8 volts is often not enough for performance ram. In my case with Corsair XMS2 6400C4 ram it needs 2.1volts.
    You MUST check with the ram manufacturer first.

If the memory voltage does need increasing then:
    Clear CMOS.
    Using one stick of ram only enter the BIOS > SoftMenu Setup.
    Change the default voltage of DDR2 ram from 1.8v to whatever the ram manufacturer recommended, then Save & Exit.
    Switch off pc, insert second stick of ram then start up pc again.
    Hopefully this will solve your problem.

Thanks
    Hi.

I have same problem like PfhorSlayer. My computer: Abit kn9, Athlon 3800+, Gef 7300GT, 2G Kingmax DDR2 800Mhz RAM, Codegen 400W Power.
    The difference: The boot sometimes failed (no video, no bios, no beep) and sometimes ok. I can run test programs and everything is ok. Shutdown. Next turn on, next boot: failed. I think the power supply is ok. I use USB keyboard and mouse. Maybe the mainboard is factory faulty or the bios version is old?

Sorry about my bad english.

Thanks
    So girls and boys, I think my problem is solved. I refreshed the bios version 10 to 11. It seems work well.

GSP
    Thanks

Question

I'm having a similar problem that isn't fixed by the suggestions here. I have a KN9 SLi (BIOS dated 21st August 2006) and I'm attempting to run it up with 2 x 1GB Crucial Ballistix 4-4-4-12 CL4 2.2V DDR2-800. I get a long beep-pause-long beep-pause... at boot and no video out. I also tried a Kingston 512MB DDR2-667 1.8V stick with the same problem. Following advice earlier in this thread I installed only one Ballistix, and only if it is in the righthand green slot I can get to the BIOS screen after resetting CMOS. I then set the RAM voltage to 2.2V and didn't change anything else. On reboot I go back to the beeps again. I reset CMOS and tried again, this time setting the timings as well as the voltage, same problem. I've tried all voltages from 1.8 to 2.3, with and without the timings and still can't get it to boot successfully with one or both sticks installed.

HELP!...

Just discovered that my BIOS is way out of date (even though the board was bought in February), so have downloaded 18. Unfortunately it is not possible to set the PC to boot from floppy without changing the BIOS defaults, and once that is done it is back to square 1 again.
    Last edited by GSP; 28-03-2007 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Added BIOS info

Thanks
    GSP, try it only with VGA card and memory. And if is not help then try it with another VGA card.
    Second, your BIOS version is very-very old, as you can see:
    abit-usa.com/downloads/bios/bios_revision.php?category=7&subcategory=263&model=315&product_name=KN9+SLI
    Yours is 1.5 and the actual is 1.8.
    At last check this out: forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?t=121831

Thanks
    Sorry about the links but I'm new and the forum is don't let me post links.
    w_w_w.abit-usa.com without _ marks. And h_t_t_p://forum.abit-usa

GSP
    Thanks
    Hi Borger - thanks for the suggestions. I got a replacement BIOS chip (v18) from Sean and I can now install one stick of the Ballistix, reset CMOS, reboot, make changes to the settings and reboot again OK. I still can't add a second stick though. I have also tried some Crucial XMS DDR2-800 and it won't start with even one stick of that. I don't have a spare PCI-e graphics card about to try your other suggestion. I've got a new mobo on order - an MSI 570SLi based board so if anyone wants an Abit KN9 SLi for less than list, let me know!

Thanks
    • MBCWRAITH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • KN9 ULTRA
      • CPU:
      • AMD 6400
      • Memory:
      • 2 GIG OCZ DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 150 RAPTOR
      • Graphics card(s):
      • DUAL 8800 GTX XFX
      • PSU:
      • THERMALTAKE 1000 WATT
      • Case:
      • THERMALTAKE TAI CHI LIQUID COOLED
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24 INCH DELL
      • Internet:
      • 20 MEG

Re: KN9 SLI CMOS issue - won't start!

I have had all these issues and found that the mem sticks need to be in the un coloured slots to run also i have flashed to 22 now using abits software and the cmos clears everytime i power down so gonna change the board i have nothing but grief

Thanks

Re: KN9 SLI CMOS issue - won't start!

have you changed the battery?

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Thread Information