Thread: Shared Firewire Drive WinXP/MacOSX?

Thanks

Shared Firewire Drive WinXP/MacOSX?

I am running Panther 10.3 on my 15" al Powerbook.

Is there anyway I can "share" a firewire drive between my Powerbook and my WinXP PeeCee?

According to www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/compare.html it says Panther can:-
    FAT32 Disk Format
    NTFS Read Only

So could I format a firewire drive with FAT32 and access all ofthe drive and files from either machine?

Thanks,

Lee.

Homestarr Mod
    Thanks
    i beleive so as i am shifting files at work on zips and floppys from mac and pc, but format it via the mac not the pc as the mac adds some dektop items db to enable it to be read

wol
    Thanks
    Yeah format it PC stylee and the mac'll be able to read it. Although X is a bit picky with long file names etc so when/if you copy the PC files about you may have to bear it in mind.

Wol

Thanks
    I have transfered (all be it only a single small file) from a Mac to a PC using a Maxtor external firewire drive. The PC was running XP, and the Mac OS9 and the drive was formatted on the PC. For some reason the drive didn't mount in Jaguar nor did my Mac ask to format it, but I haven't had time yet to try and find out why this is.

I have also mounted one of these drives straight out of the box (so it is presumably PC formatted) onto a Powerbook running Panther. However, when I tried to copy a 5GB disk image onto it, it came up with a disk error about 1/2 way through the copy. Unfortunately, once again I didn't have time to pursue this to find out the cause, or even try it with smaller files.

I have also succesfully used an iPod to transfer files from Mac to PC (Jaguar to XP) with an iPod that is formated on the PC.

Thread Information