Thread: Boot camp, Parallels and remote desktop

Mike Fishcake

Boot camp, Parallels and remote desktop

Looks like I might be getting a new 17" intel iMac to replace my G4 mini and P4 windows PC. I'm planning on using an extra monitor to extend the desktop to run Boot Camp & Parallels so I can have a native windows system running alongside OS X.

I've just got 3 questions:

- The apple site says that the iMac contains a mini-DVI connector, but it also mentions something to do with DVI as well.
    - With the windows system running inside OS X through the parallel program, when it comes down to the networking aspect of it, how would it assign an IP address... the reason I need to know is that I occasionally use remote desktop to connect to my work PC from home. Would I be able to do this?

Thanks
    • darrensen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte z77 UD3H
      • CPU:
      • i7
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Loads!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 780 GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850Watt
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Storm Trooper
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet Fibre 80mb
    I can answer your question about the mini DVI - and the answer is "no". It's an additional charge of £15 on top.

awm
    Thanks
    I think the mini DVI are an apple standard. 12" powerbooks come with them and a VGA commector for the same port. If you can get a hold of one of them cheeper that should work as well.

I believe you connect to the Mac and then access Windows from there. Not sure though.

Tak
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Fishcake
    - With the windows system running inside OS X through the parallel program, when it comes down to the networking aspect of it, how would it assign an IP address... the reason I need to know is that I occasionally use remote desktop to connect to my work PC from home. Would I be able to do this?
    The virtual Windows OS will have its own IP address and act like a separate machine on the network. So as long as the host Mac system has Internet access and Parallels is configured to share the network connection, you're all set.
    Last edited by Tak; 31-05-2006 at 08:28 PM.

Mike Fishcake
    darrensen - gah, ah well. i'll have to order one of those. Still, £15 isn't *too* bad.

tak - i was hoping it would be something like that. just realised though that we do use a DHCP server that detects the ethernet address of the card, but I can probably just nick the assigned IP address from my current windows PC and have that on my bootcamped OS.

Thread Information