Thread: 1yr old 'new' car - skoda, ford, or...

Thanks
    • timread's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX
      • Storage:
      • 1x WD Blue SN550 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD, , 1x Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, 2x WD 1TB HDD in RAID1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti WINDFORCE OC 6G
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750W Gold Gen2
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R3 Arctic White
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 2590 G4, Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia

1yr old 'new' car - skoda, ford, or...

I'm looking to replace my '52' plate Honda Civic (5 door 1.6 - not an R Type!) with a 1 year old used car.

I've narrowed it down roughly to a Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI Ambiente or a Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi. I contemplated the Kia Cee'd 1.6 CRDi but it's almost impossible to get hold of a one-year old example, and the predicted depreciation is pretty dire.

TCO over 3 years for the Octavia and Focus works out pretty much the same. I'd prefer a diesel this time for the lower running costs (i know it's very marginal these days, but still).

My budget is around 10k (I should get around 3k for my Civic).

Should I be thinking of anything else? I don't like the new Honda Civic as much as my one (it's less practical, still too expensive even for a used 2006 example, and I don't like the engine lineup. A used Toyota Auris is still too expensive (introduced in 2007, used examples going for >10k).

Thanks
    • joshwa's system
      • Motherboard:
      • PC Chips M577 AT/ATX
      • CPU:
      • AMD K6-2 500Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 128mb PC100 SDRAM
      • Storage:
      • 8GB Fujitsu
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 AGP (16mb)
      • PSU:
      • ATX 500watt
      • Case:
      • Midi Tower AT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 98 SE
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" TFT Widescreen

Re: 1yr old 'new' car - skoda, ford, or...

I've seen an advert in the paper for a brand new Golf for £10k. Probably basic spec, but worth looking at?

Any reason for a 1yr old car? I've seen 3 year old Focus Estate TDCi's for £5 - 6k

Thanks
    • timread's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 1x WD Blue SN550 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD, , 1x Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, 2x WD 1TB HDD in RAID1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia

Reason for 1yr old car is that I don't lose the 1st year's depreciation out of my pocket, which is the steepest... but it means I still get a remaining 2 yrs of manufacturers warranty (on most cars).

I'm not looking for top spec models, but mid-level specs are generally nice. Air con is a must, and I'd like the stereo to have an aux/line in for my MP3 but it's not essential.

Guy
    HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

Very late/end of production Mk3 Mondeo?

You could pick up a 2 litre TDCi (130bhp) version, in a decent trim spec, with most goodies a/c cruise control, not sure about the aux input . . . .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by timread View Post
    Should I be thinking of anything else? I don't like the new Honda Civic as much as my one (it's less practical, still too expensive even for a used 2006 example, and I don't like the engine lineup. A used Toyota Auris is still too expensive (introduced in 2007, used examples going for >10k).
    I disagree strongly with the less practical new vs old Civic.
    The current model is significantly easier to transport large objects, has a bigger, deeper boot and MUCH more flexible seating arrangement. The rear seats fold up to make a bigger space than the boot as well as folding flat in the usual 60/40 manner.
    Regards engines the 1.8 would be the obvious choice as the 1.4 will feel weak relative to your 1.6. Both are more economical than the older engine.

Regards other cars:

How well are Qashqai holding their value?
    Does a Leon take your fancy?
    The Hyundai i30 is a possible but I prefer the looks of the C'eed and as you've said their residuals are still suspect. I must admit I hope they hold their value well as they're pretty good cars.
    Suzuki SX4 for an off-the-wall choice?
    Mitsi Lancer? (likely to be too new sadly)
    Vimeous : i7 7700K | 16Gb | ASUS Strix Z270G | GTX1080 | 960 EVO 500GB NVMe | 850 EVO 500GB | TX650W | NZXT S340 Elite | Dell U2713H + 17" | 10 Pro
    Willowin : i7 3570K | 16Gb | ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe | GTX 660 TI | 2x 1TB 840EVO | Sugo SG05BB-450 | Dell U2713H + 17" | 8.1 Pro
    Svr : X2 4200+ | 2Gb | ASUS A8N-SLI Premium | HD6870 | SonicFury | 8x 250Gb (2x RAID10) | 3Ware 9650SE-8LPML | Seasonic 700W | CM Stacker 830 | XP Pro
    NAS : DS1511+ | DX513
    W : Dell Precision T3610 | E5-1650 V2 | 16GB | Quadro K2000 | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 8.1 Pro | 2x Dell U2515H

Thanks
    • timread's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia

I take it you're a new shape Civic owner Vimeous ? TBH I do like the looks of it, and as a current Civic owner I'm very much predisposed to like the new Civic. My current one has been a fantastic car. It just has a few issues that put me off. It feels like it has less space for back seat occupants (legroom and lower roof) and the rear visibility is poorer. I was really hoping they'd reduced the road noise with the new Civic but they don't appear to have done. I don't like that the space-saver spare wheel is an option, and that the default is a puncture repair kit. Also there's no rear wiper. But mainly, it's because even 2006 used Civics (new shape) are still significantly over £10k for the 1.8 petrol, and the 2.2 diesel is still way over £10k. Like you say, I don't want to drop down to the 1.4.

Thanks
    • timread's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia

I considered the Qashqai as it's also a good looking, practical alternative. The petrol engine falls foul of the emissions bands, making it more expensive to tax from next year (159g/km, band H, £175). They tweaked it down after Dec 2007 but that's too new a car for me.

The Seat again is an attractive alternative but the 1.6 petrol has terrible emissions and pretty poor fuel economy.

Both above cars are better with diesel engines, but I heard not so good things about the 1.9 diesel Leon (narrow power band).

I looked at the Hyundai i30 at the same time as the Kia Cee'd. TBH I thought the interior trim in the Hyundai was better quality than the Kia, and that the i30 was also better looking. Both cars I saw were black metallic (most reviews think the Cee'd is better looking!). But it's almost impossible to get a 1 yr old Cee'd or i30, and since the depreciation is steeper on both cars I don't want that coming out of my pocket

Thanks
    • schmunk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit NF7-S v2.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon-M 2500+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB of Corsair BH-5 and 512MB of something else
      • Storage:
      • 160GB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon X800Pro, flashed to XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-M ~400W
      • Case:
      • Antec cheapy
      • Monitor(s):
      • AG Neovo F19 LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 4MB/s

Citroen C4? I had a brand new one for a while and it was great. Citroens are known for depreciating, mind, but the biggest hit should have already passed at 1 year.

e.g. http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk...0&max_mileage=

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by timread View Post
    I take it you're a new shape Civic owner Vimeous ? TBH I do like the looks of it, and as a current Civic owner I'm very much predisposed to like the new Civic. My current one has been a fantastic car. It just has a few issues that put me off. It feels like it has less space for back seat occupants (legroom and lower roof) and the rear visibility is poorer. I was really hoping they'd reduced the road noise with the new Civic but they don't appear to have done. I don't like that the space-saver spare wheel is an option, and that the default is a puncture repair kit. Also there's no rear wiper. But mainly, it's because even 2006 used Civics (new shape) are still significantly over £10k for the 1.8 petrol, and the 2.2 diesel is still way over £10k. Like you say, I don't want to drop down to the 1.4.
    Actually the one before yours
    However I've done a few thousand miles in yours and the the most recent revisions as we have a variety of them as pool/managers cars.
    There are differences as you point out.
    There's more rear leg and head room (I'm 6'3"+ and fine in there) than the old 3dr but less headroom than the old 5dr. However they moved the fuel tank under the front seat so there's less foot room. It is a little cosier in the back but it's reasonably comfortable if not to Golf standards.
    Rear visibility is definitely worse and has put many potential owners off, I simply don't mind it. I've also found that if wet the rear screen clears well if you pop the screen-heater on for 5mins.
    Our managers agree about the spare wheel - the puncture repair kit is useless. Adding a wheel later though is the easiest option I've ever seen fitted to a car!
    Biased?
    By good experience yes. Grip levels are superb, I (not all) find the seating position ideal, the interior is flexible and the 1.8 goes much better than its 138bhp suggests. Oh and the gearbox is a joy.
    Blinkered?
    Not a chance! The Auris rides better but is significantly less enjoyable/chuckable. The Golf is more accomplished all round. The Focus has a better handling/comfort balance, especially at the limit.
    That said it's a much better car than either previous editions despite my steering being more feelsome.

Oh yeah it's a better place to sleep than either of ours

Appologies mini-thread-hijack!

Does it need to be Family Hatch sized?
    Superminis keep growing so would somethig like a Swift be big enough?
    Vimeous : i7 7700K | 16Gb | ASUS Strix Z270G | GTX1080 | 960 EVO 500GB NVMe | 850 EVO 500GB | TX650W | NZXT S340 Elite | Dell U2713H + 17" | 10 Pro
    Willowin : i7 3570K | 16Gb | ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe | GTX 660 TI | 2x 1TB 840EVO | Sugo SG05BB-450 | Dell U2713H + 17" | 8.1 Pro
    Svr : X2 4200+ | 2Gb | ASUS A8N-SLI Premium | HD6870 | SonicFury | 8x 250Gb (2x RAID10) | 3Ware 9650SE-8LPML | Seasonic 700W | CM Stacker 830 | XP Pro
    NAS : DS1511+ | DX513
    W : Dell Precision T3610 | E5-1650 V2 | 16GB | Quadro K2000 | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 8.1 Pro | 2x Dell U2515H

Thanks
    • timread's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia

That's all good info on the Civic, thanks Vim. Hm, maybe I'll test drive one this weekend. I've been in them a few times on brief 15 minute trips - my Honda garage gives me a lift to work & back when they service my current Civic!

Yup, I'm looking for a family hatchback - something with good boot space and accessible rear seats. At the moment there's just my wife and I, but there are plans for a wee bairn in the next year that I'll need to be able to accommodate (baby clobber and all!). That's partly why the Octavia is attractive - it's got a huge boot. I like the Suzuki Swift but I think I'll need something bigger pretty soon!

I did consider the C4 - a mate of mine has one, but has had several electrical problems with his. Not that that's a fair sample size, but it does back up the general review consensus that they have reliability issues. Also they depreciate heavily. OK if you buy a 3 yr old+!

Thanks
    • piggeh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS AiLife IP35
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600 G0
      • Memory:
      • OCZ 2x2GB DDR2 (5-4-4-18)
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3D 8800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Antec 900 Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" SM2494HS
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Cable

I dont see the Kia C'eed depreciating too much - there wont be many cars that would be 5 years old with 2 years of a manufacturers warranty left on them! But as you say, difficult to find one year old examples.

Thread Information