Thread: !4 days 17 hours and counting...

Thanks

!4 days 17 hours and counting...

Yup, as some of you (mainly Mr. Wilko) will know, the new F1 series starts in just 2 weeks time. Hopefullly this will be a year of upsets and the Germans Rari won't dominate.. and if Jenson Button has anything to say about it, he'd probably not be able to.. WHY? u ask. simple.. hes celebrating, celebrating the fact his new BAR not only sounds like thunder, but goes like lightning, and in pre-season testing SMASHED the Barcalona track record.

Juan Pablo Montoya in his Williams also set an unofficial track record in valencia on Thursday, guess who was less than 400th's of a second down on him? Jenson! Infact the top 10 drivers of the day (not a ferari in sight) were only 1.4 seconds apart. Even the Toyota's were in there. But yesterday, Raikkonen blew everyone out the water with a 01:08:998 run.

This year, i can see it being close... VERY close, my money is on Schumy again, but not the Big guy... My money is on Ralph, he now has the best car hes ever driven to go with his experience and bravery. I can't bloomin wait any lomger!!!

Dodgy Water Cooling
    Thanks
    tell me about it Russ. Looking forward to setting my alarm for 3 am for all those races in far flung countries... ahh the bliss, the excitement, the dauting prospect that a Schumacher is probably gonna win again this year.

Steve

ps I think the Jags may do better this year, infact they couldn't really do much worse than previous seasons...
    Winning isn't everything, but losing is nothing...

^-- I'm with stupid --^
    Thanks
    Oh yes Russ I have been counting down the days...its at this time the withdrawal symtpons are at there worst for me

My views are...

Williams

Williams look to be moving the cars along nicely, I was really suprised when the BMW showed there new car off with the radical front nose cone:

It appears to be working tho, and its going to be interesting to see how all the recent press flashed on Williams is going to affect the team this coming year:

• Montoya was allowed to get a new contract for 2005 away from Williams due to a bust up with the team during a GP last season
    • Ralf has decided its time to move out of his brothers shadow. He is claiming he will no longer be taking the foot of the gas if hes behind Michael

Ferrari

Ferrari i don't particularly follow however if one thing is guaranteed, there car will be equal with the other teams if not slightly better (Mainly due to the skill of Michael) Barrichello claims he has the chance to claim the title with Ferrari, so maybe politics are swaying away from the 'Michael is the frontman, Barrichello always plays second fiddle' rule. But we'll see, I doubt they are gonna run with both drivers equal, it will only be if Michael has an awful start that things will change

Mclaren

I do wish DC can pull this season off and finally become a World Champion...will it happen tho? I doubt it However, if he repeats last years Australian GP performance and gets one or two under his belt who knows.

Kimi is always going to be a danger, we could potentially be looking at the youngest ever F1 world champion, wot a sight that'd be. He is going to have to improve on last years '1 win' tho to actually take the championship - depsite his amazingly consistent results in almost every race.

The Mclaren MP4-19 was also released much earlier than any other cars, Kimi has been complaining lately they need more HP, but I am not sure, I think they are playing it crafty to make other teams think they aren't a contender this season. Ron Dennis is not going to produce something rubbish!

Jaguar

The 'big cat' is promising big steps this year, and I do think, with such a good driver as Mark Webber...I believe they can do this. Personally I am looking most forward to seeing this team at Silverstone in July when I go for the weekend out of all the other teams. A true British symbol

Renault

Much like the Williams, they have been moving there car along nicely. And with the extremely talented Alonso - I am hoping for a real good season off them, and hopefully put the wind up Michael Schumacher a bit to!!

BAR and Jenson

Jenson has admitted the car is light when they set the records, but still, that car is hot Lots of ppl don't like him but I am rooting for him along with the rest of the Brits in the field. I am expecting Button to make the podium at least once this year. Ppl have said he's overated, I say he has a similar attitude to Eddie Irvine - playboy type...but with a crucial difference, I think he really really wants to win.

Jordon

There was much talk about the Chel$ki boss Abromavich [sp?] taking over the team, although Eddie seems to have dispelled these ideas in recent interviews. It did look like Jos was going to join the team for the season, but talks have broken down which was a shame Going to be a strange season for the team I feel...because only a few years ago under the 'Damon Hill' era he managed to get them their first win...I seriously doubt any more wins would follow this year.

Other teams and other comments

I am not to impressed by Ferrari being allowed to use Sauber's testing time on the Friday practice during the weekend of the race. This year the Sauber uses the latest ferrari engine and a Ferrari gearbox. They could be really consistent this year, particularly with there wind tunnel to further progress the aero-dynamics of the car. As I see it tho, sharing data from Friday practice isn't ethical because the purpose of Friday's are to allow lesser teams the chance to get their cars as good as possible. Why should Ferrari be allowed an extra advantage over the Mclaren, Williams and Renault

I hope to see Toyota also close the gap on the big boys in F1...they certainly have the buck to do it.

The new rule system for penalty's is going to be interesting. The new system will mean drivers are handed out warnings instead of necessarily getting 'drive-through' penalties in a race. Accumulate so many of these in a season and it impacts on future races...could be werid

I really enjoyed the points system last year and I am glad there has been no changes to it - got the interest levels back again anyway.

Thats my spin on things anyway *phew* hope it wasn't to boring, but I really do follow this sport with a passion - and seeing as this is my first season where I'll be going to an actual race...its gonna be something special to me whatever My main prediction for the season is going to be - the big teams stay big, and the middle order teams like BAR, Toyota and Jaguar make big progress into getting hold of F1 glory...oh...and Schumacher won't win this year, either of em

Last edited by TomWilko; 21-02-2004 at 05:38 PM.
    tom@meangasoline.co.uk | RIP Zoltan

Canon 350d | 50 F/1.8 Mk II | 70-200 F/4 L | 1Gb Sandisk Ultra III

Thanks
    Nice post Tom,

I think Coultard should show his metal this year. Could well be one of his last. I really admire Ralf, I think he has the balls to do well. But I'm routing for Jenson, I want to see him fly this year - through to win a GP not into a tyre wall :-/

I think you should change your sig Tom, get your act together

^-- I'm with stupid --^
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead_Head
    Nice post Tom,

I think Coultard should show his metal this year. Could well be one of his last. I really admire Ralf, I think he has the balls to do well. But I'm routing for Jenson, I want to see him fly this year - through to win a GP not into a tyre wall :-/

I think you should change your sig Tom, get your act together
    Cheers buddy, yeh as you say...its DC's big year this one; he really has to nail 1 lap qualifying Could have a place lined up at Jaguar so the rumours say tho...

But yes, I really really really want Jenson to be the next big thing. Hes had the massive accident that a lot of ppl see as a test as to whether you can handle the sport (remember the side on 3-4G collision in qualifying at Monaco ) and i think its time for him to step up and take the stage as far as a future British world champion go's...

Thanks
    I couldn't get it better, Australian Gran Prix 1 weekend, followed by Rally Mexico, followed by Malasia GP, march = fantastic

Thanks
    • spazman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS3
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 320gb RAID 0 , 250gb IDE , 160gb IDE, 400bg USB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 7900GX2
      • PSU:
      • 750watt Enermax
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" LCD 19" CRT
      • Internet:
      • Be Unlimited
    Williams all the way baby!
    NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, GBA, DS, PSone, PS2, PSP, PS3 60gb, XBOX, XBOX 360, Master System, Game Gear, Mega Drive, Saturn, Dreamcast, PC Engine, Neo Geo CD

^-- I'm with stupid --^
    Thanks
    Looking good this year Williams are, but I am still rooting for Mclaren Would be nice to see real close races all year long and Micheal Schumacher does not win it

Thanks
    i can't wait. I have been playing my f1 games all winter, lol.

I think honda will do quiet will this year. Dunno why, just a feeling.

I wanna know what the new tracks are like too.
    64Bit XP3000,Jetway S755Max Mobo, 512Mb DDR333 Generic (ebuyer) ram, NEC A1300 DVD rw -/+
    60Gb IBM Diskstar 120XP, and the usual.

Thread Information