Thread: door pins

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks

Question door pins

odd one this...

the drivers side door on me tank was dropping a bit when opened - a very commen problem on volvo 300's, cos the pins rust. its been happening since i got it, but very recently started dropping so low that you couldnt shut the door without lifting the weight off the hinge and shutting it, which i did by opening the window and lifting by the windowframe until one time i forgot to get my thumb out the way. ouch. wont do that one again...

so i figured i'd get some new door pins and fit them. phoned up the volvo spares place i use, and the pins arrive while im at work today, so i set about fitting them. now to take the old pins out you have to tap them down for the top pins and up for the bottom one. i figured i'd do the top one first (as i knew this one was faulty), and see if i needed to do the bottom.. so i open the door, support the end of it on a jack (so the pin holes are lined up) and try and find something that can fit down the bloody gap to tap the pins out. eventually get an allan key to work and it the pin goes down a bit - say 1/4". then doesnt budge, however hard i bash the allenkey. i figured the door might be out of line so i remove allan key, kick the jack out the way and lift the door up.. to find it doesnt lift.. in fact theres no play in it at all.. odd i thought, and tried to shut it.. which now works PERFECTLY. nothing wrong with it at all... i'm bloody bemused, cant understand for the life of me whats gone on but the things perfectly fixed now, and my pins (cost me a bloody tenner. grrr) are sat on my bedroom floor somewhere..

anyone got an idea how i fixed it??
    hughlunnon@yahoo.com | I have sigs turned off..

Thanks
    Hehe, dunno mate but dont knock it, your obviously talented in the door repair area

Registered+
    Thanks
    Probably due to where the wear in the pin was. By moving it down, the unworn part of the pin is now in the moving part of the hinge. Although if it was me that happened to the door would probably just drop off in a few days . Hope nothing like that happens to you.

Stu

Thread Information