Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MP3/CD player thingy...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by streetster
    going OT is fine when it helps me like i said, i wouldnt have a car, i cant see a need for one if i'm gonna be on campus the first year - maybe when i move out of halls it may be useful (unless i cycle/rely on public transport)
    My house for me second- and final- year (I got booted out at the end of it) was actually much closer to the campus than Glen Eyre hall, so I needed a bike even less. Glen Eyre is actually about a 5-10 minute walk depending on where on campus you're headed, whereas a bike can be about 2 minutes, but there was never really much point cycling from my 2nd year house unless I was late or being lazy.

... when do i get to choose what hall i want to go in - or is it pot luck, and i'll only maybe get in them if i ask nicely?
    I went in 1997 so things might be different now, but at some point after I accepted their offer they sent me an accomodation brochure and I'm pretty sure you can put your preference down then. Even within an individual hall there are differing standards of accomodation; you can pay extra for an en-suite bathroom like I did, for example, and if you're too lazy to cook there's a catered option (I don't recommend it though, just learn to cook or live on sandwiches and cornflakes like I did). I actually asked for a room not on the ground floor, but was given one anyway, even though it was a four storey building. I realised afterwards that women are not given ground floor rooms to deter Peeping Toms, so they probably thought that I wanted to increase my chances of being in a flat with some birds, and concluded that I was probably a pervert. Never mind.

What course are you doing?

Rich :¬)

Thanks
    AFAIK Vauxhall use normal connectors, thing is - buy the stereo, see if the connectors the same. If not pop down your local halfords and you can get em for like a tenner.

I can't find a power converter (only the steering control) so I would guess it takes normal connectors.

G4 PowerMac - Tiger 10.4 - 512MB RAM
    MacBook - 2Ghz - 1GB RAM - 120GB HDD

Rotel RC970BX | DBX DriveRack |2x Rotel RB850
    B&W DM640i | Velodyne 1512

Thanks
    • streetster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D-E
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 750 2.67 @ 4.0Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 2x1TB Drives [RAID0]
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2xSapphire HD 4870 512MB CrossFireX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Black Widow
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2311
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 50Mb
    Computer Science with AI i think its called.. i need 390 points (AABb) to get in, which will require some work, as i'm thinking i'm only gonna get ABB (or ABC if i do really badly in maths.. :s) - what did you take?

as for 10minute walk... pah, i have a 30min walk daily to/from the bus stop... serves me right for living in the middle of nowhere.

I accepted the place last month i think it was, so i should be getting some housing-type stuff through the post i guess sometime soon.

back on topic...

just checked ebay for that mp3/cd player and a guy is selling it for 99.99 (buy it now) + £10 shipping.. which means its 109.99, which is £17 than the site Lowe said.. but is it worth it, i mean the guy says its brand new (new sealed!! i think is what he actually says), but would i get any kind of warranty with it (ie from sony?)...

its kinda tempting but i'm also tempted to spend the £17, knowing i'll get it the day after i order it, and will have somewhere to fall back on if it stops working... actually, sod it, he only takes cheques so i'll just get the online one for a bit more

mark

edit:
    @ unrealrocks, just read through the car and the radio manuals... neither of them mention anything about connectors, for the radio which isnt useful, but dad is telling me its a standard connection (so i can blame him if it isnt ).
    Last edited by streetster; 30-03-2004 at 05:19 PM.

Ant
    Thanks
    The thing is, the connection on most vauxhalls look right, but aren't, sort of.

Vauxhall have swopped the memory (yellow I think) and the permanent Live (Red I think) around. (Or something like that??!) So once you have installed your nice new stereo, you're going to find out that all your settings aren't being saved! People do sell adapters for vauxhalls but I think thats just a waste of money!

So, if you're not fussed about the little display on the dash, It should work fine without any adapters, as long as you swop the yellow and red wires around on the back of your setero. What I would do, is cut them and reconnect them using Bullet connectors. that way its easy to swop them back!

Did that all make sense? Any Vauxhall people about who can confirm all this? (Zak?)

Thanks
    • streetster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D-E
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 2x1TB Drives [RAID0]
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Black Widow
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2311
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 50Mb
    hmm.. i shall investigate this, dont want to be changing wires about without some hard proof because i'm sure connecting it up wrong wouldnt be doing it a favour (i mean not storing memory settings is one thing... blowing up is another ), so if someone with a good knowledge of vauxhalls can confirm that it would be nice,

cheers

Thanks
    On the top of the radio that is in there will be a diagram of the pinout for the connector, just compare that to the one in the manual for the new radio and swap any pins around that are different. From memory when I put a new radio in my old Astra, I had to change some of the power pins around.

Thanks
    Most new stereos (sony certainly) have bullet connectors on the Yellow and Red wires already in case you need to swap them. If every time you turn it off you lose the radio memory settings then swap them over.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mock Turtle
    “Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with, and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision."
    System:Atari 2600 CPU:8-bit 6507 (1.19MHz) RAM:128 bytes Colours: 16 (4 on screen) Resolution: 192x160

Thanks
    • streetster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D-E
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 2x1TB Drives [RAID0]
      • Graphics card(s):