Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bike insurance - TPFT or Fully comp?

Back in Sunny UK...and it is sunny too :D...pleasant surprise.
    Thanks
    You'll brick it even larger first time round paddock hill bend
    "You want loyalty? ......get a dog!"

Thanks
    I'm still on TPFT because I can't afford Fully-Comp still over £1k on almost all bikes over 600cc because I'm under 30 (used to be 25 until they changed it ).

If you can afford full comp then it might be worth it....

Earlier this year the wind got up a bit and managed to blow over my bike, that came to about £350 to repair (rad damage) if the bike had had fairing you can double that.
    Before that I got lucky, a car knocked my bike over into someone elses car in the middle of the night with no witnesses , lucky for me it was my mums car the bike landed on and there was no damage to the bike, although it did do some damage to the car it's a Nissan Sunny.
    But the worst by far was the CBR600FL (old jelly-mold '89 model) who's fairing broke off all along the top while I was going down the Motorway, nothing bad happened execpt the bike never got back too anything near decent because I couldn't afford the money needed.
    In the 6 years I've been riding I must have droped various bikes at least 6 times. And it's been knocked over while parked at least 4 times.

Everone drops there bike at some time, it usally just tips to far or you loose your footing, bang! fairing has nice whole in it and several loverly skratches.
    The damage can go something like this:
    Trouble is pattern fairing is the cheapest and the worse, it will look just about ok if you know someone who's handy at matching paint, but it will be a bugger to put on and has loads of rough spot.
    And you looking at anything up to £300+ for a full set (usualy about the £500 mark). Now genuine parts look and fit perfectly, again you need to get them sprayed which will cost extra, in most cases it's easier to get the whole bike done one color, but your looking at deffinatly over £1000+ for a full set.
    Your then looking at Indicators, because they might go (£20) and than theres the clutch or brake lever whitch might snap (another £20+).
    And if your really unlucky damage to the bike itself, bent gear or brake peddles, engine case damage....

It's not to bad if your ok with a set of spanners and a haynes manual (this is a must buy ) but respray cost an arm and spanner monkey rates are a leg.

That is worse case though it might just be a skratch, it's all down to what you can afford.

Good luck with the theroy on Friday

Thanks
    Very good information m8 good points too, I found a steal of a bike actually it has insurance group 10 and is semi fairied , the kawasaki z750 very very low insurance for 100bhp bike, also my mate whos into bikes says you can fit a 6R fairing to it easily. What I think Im gonna do is learn the bike proper from the suggested Haynes manual itll be second hand not new, I have an airbrush which I think will do the painting part of the job and hopefully I can deal with dent and scratch repairs as well. Its not too difficult to repair dents etc but the spraying is the hard part because as you say you really need to respray the whole thing, patching just doesnt work well at all.

- paddock hill bend eh? well Im a little way from that yet but its a must do

Just a point but these fairings seem to be plastic fantastic by the sounds of things why not just coat them in clear expoxy resin , this would harden the shell enormously and you wouldnt get minor scratches and dent s from drops? Im into GRP and am thiking of makingmy own fairings etc , I can make a mold from fairings off crashed bikes where in some cases they are 90% complete.
    Antec P160/Abit IC7Max3/P4 3.02Ghz/PC3200 1GB/120GB Seagate Barracuda/Zalman CP7000/Radeon 128MB PRO with Arctic cooling/120mm fans

Yamaha YZF R6 2004 (Red)

Thanks
    • dkmech's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @3.16GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb ddr2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 2*640gb WD Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 6970
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 690
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Hanns G, 19" Hyundai L90D+
      • Internet:
      • 14Mb
    Wouldn't putting a fairing on a bike increase the cost of insurance as it would be a modified bike now?
    Tough on mirrors, tough on the causes of mirrors.

Thanks
    Dkmech - thats correct although Ive now made a 'test' rear seat fairing out of GRP based on the Ducati Desmodici one, Ill need to redo the mold tho as the angles are a bit out, I think this design malarkey is cool tho never tried it before, I was always planning to build a boat with GRp but space issues got in the way this looks like a good alternative tho in short I wouldnt declare this to insurance as they would not be paying for a new fairing Id make it and spray it

I tried my little airbrush on the GRP and with more sanding the effect looks good , it is better looking than the plastic fairings you get with most bikes tbh.
    Antec P160/Abit IC7Max3/P4 3.02Ghz/PC3200 1GB/120GB Seagate Barracuda/Zalman CP7000/Radeon 128MB PRO with Arctic cooling/120mm fans

Yamaha YZF R6 2004 (Red)

Thanks
    Comp.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information