Thread: Motorbikes?

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks

Motorbikes?

I'm 23, passed my car driving test on 9/10/1998

I think I can ride any bike up to 50cc and below a certain power (11bhp?) without CBT or any other test. Is this right?

Can I also ride any bike up to 125cc with L-plates? Do I get provisional entitlement. I'm at work, so can't check the paper bit of my licence. Do I need CBT? Do I need extra entitlement to ride up to 125cc or is motorbike provisional included in my car licence?

Thanks
    you need a CBT no matter what afaik.. and you're entitled to drive up to a 125cc on L plates... although I think it's more power rather cpacity these days? 9KW output or summat..

Quote Originally Posted by The Quentos
    "My udder is growing. Quick pass me the parsely sauce." Said Oliver.

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DVLA
    2. Compulsory Basic Training (CBT)
    Motorcycles, scooters and mopeds
    You must complete compulsory basic training [CBT] before riding a moped or motorcycle (with or without sidecar) on the road. However, you may ride on a road under the supervision of an approved instructor as part of that training course.

Your motorcycle dealer or local council road safety officer can give information on local training schemes, or see adverts in local papers and telephone directories.

up to 31 January 2001

From 1 January 1997 all learner moped and motorcycle riders irrespective of when a licence was issued must have completed a Compulsory Basic Training [CBT] course before riding a moped or motorcycle on the road.

When you successfully complete a CBT you will get a Certificate of Completion (DL196) which is valid for 3 years. Keep your certificate safe because you will need to show it to the examiner when you take your moped or motorcycle practical test. You may also need to show it to the police. Certificates issued before 1 July 1996 expired on 30 June 1999. The requirement to complete CBT does not apply to those riders who are:

learning to ride a motorcycle and who have already obtained full moped entitlement as a result of passing a moped test on or after 1 December 1990, or

riding a moped with full entitlement given automatically with a full car licence.

from 1 February 2001

After 1 February 2001 when you successfully complete CBT you will get a Certificate of Completion (DL 196) which will be valid for 2 years. Certificates issued prior to that date will be valid for 3 years. Keep your CBT certificate safe because you will need it when you apply for and take your moped or motorcycle theory test.

You will also need it when you apply for and take your moped or motorcycle accompanied test, and you may need to show it to the police if required.

If you have any enquiries about CBT phone Driving Standards Agency on: 0115 901 2500 and ask for the CBT section.

If you are learning to ride a moped or motorcycle,you cannot carry a pillion passenger.

You can only learn to ride on motorcycles over 125cc if:

you are over 21 and accompanied by an approved instructor on a separate machine at all times, or

you are riding a motorcycle with a sidecar

Moped

A moped is a motorcycle which:

cannot go faster than 50km/h

must not have an engine over 50cc

can be moved by pedals, if the moped was used before 1 August 1977.

Any enquiries about CBT should also be referred to the DSA.
    from http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/rdmcycle.htm

Not sure what they mean, worded very strangely!

Thanks
    I'm pretty sure you're fine to ride a moped on your car licence; you could even carry a passenger, not that that's particularly advisable on a machine that's not designed to go over 33mph.

You need to do CBT if you want to learn to ride a motorcycle (not moped) of any description though. Once you've done CBT you can ride a bike of up to 125cc with up to 15bhp (9kw) on L-Plates unacompannied, or (if you're over 21) a bike of more than 125cc (or more than 9kw) accompanied by a registered instructor (i.e. for a Direct Access test).

Rich :¬)

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    As I'm 23 I could ride a 600 WITH AN INSTRUCTOR, but only a 125 (or under) by myself until I pass my test then?

And I need a CBT to ride over 50cc.
    Yes?

Thanks
    Yes to both.

Rich :¬)

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    Thanks!

Thanks
    That's correct for you, but others should be aware that you need a CBT even to ride a moped if you passed your car test after 1st Feb, 2001.

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    I thought it had changed since I passed.
    How sure are you that I don't need a CBT for 50cc and under?

Thanks
    pretty sure

http://www.dsa.gov.uk/dsa/consult/ri...e_regs2001.htm The sixth bullet point in para 2 seems clear to me...

If you're that worried though, why not take a CBT anyway. It's highly recommended if you haven't ridden before.

Thread Information