Thread: War...ranty, What is it good for? Absolutely nothing?

Thanks

War...ranty, What is it good for? Absolutely nothing?

Boys & Girls,

I recently bought a car (end of June - 2010 plate Vauxhall Insignia) and I wont bore you, but it caused me a few problems. So much so, I bought the optional extended warranty a few days later. I'd heard from a friend that the warranty sold by the independent dealer had helped them no end in resolving issues.

I never ever buy extended warranties as they're usually all pap, but because I'd heard good things and I'd had issues, I took the plunge.

My initial issues were resolved outside of this warranty, but I'm booked in on Wednesday, off my own back, as I believe (I have zero mechanical knowledge) the water pump is failing. Having the water pump fail is a common issue with the Insignia apparently and is resolved under Vauxhalls warranty (providing the car is within the warranty period). I'm gonna get the timing belt, water pump etc done anyway, because I don't know the history of the car and whilst I could probably argue the toss (again) with the dealer, I'd sooner go back to my preferred mechanic and pay off my own back. With that said, I was under the impression the warranty I have bought is "as good as the manufacturers warranty", so do you think if my mech can definitely say the issue is the water pump, that I should be covered? Or have a I bought a dead horse (in the warranty)?

The "small print" in the warranty book is below. (PDF Link)

Can anyone in the know/with the nous, decipher the warranty booklet and in simpletons, tell me what/when it might be useful?
    Last edited by Vini; 11-11-2013 at 01:06 PM.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Re: War...ranty, What is it good for? Absolutely nothing?

You can't compare it to a manufacturers warranty - they're quite different. If the fault is due to an inherently faulty part then Vauxhall should replace because it would have been present on the car as new. The third party warranty covers breaking of parts not due to an inherent flaw, or outside damage/conditions. (Which if you think about it, is a very narrow range of events!)

However in your case, water pumps are the sorts of things that should be well covered, and you've done the right thing in getting it looked at right away because your mean warranty wouldn't cover if other damage was caused by you continuing to drive with a faulty pump. As long as vaux haven't admitted an inherent fault then this warranty should cover you (provided you also meet the regular maintenance/scheduling required - ie if the water pump is meant to be replaced at x miles you need to show it was). If vaux do admit an inherent fault then they should cover you direct.

Oh and you need to contact the warranty firm before the repairs are done, to authorise it. They will try and fob you off onto some halfords autocentre or the place you bought the car in the first instance, but if you say your car is already at the garage (of your choice) they should OK, and just grumble and tell you you might have to pay and then claim back.
    Last edited by kalniel; 11-11-2013 at 01:19 PM.

Thread Information