Thread: Offroad motorcycle riding - Camera Settings and Mounts

Registered+
    Thanks

Offroad motorcycle riding - Camera Settings and Mounts

Offroad motorcycle riding at weekends -

CAMERA MOUNT
    Handlebar mounted camera: To much vibration and noise.
    Helmet Top Mount: Catches in low branches and bushes (either the branch gives way or you start to feel your being dragged off bike backwards)
    Helmet Side Mount: Catches in bushes and riders on side of camera mount are not always caught in the action.
    Helmet Chin Mount: Works perfectly, but i,ve had to buy a new helmet with a flat chin piece.

CAMERA SETTINGS
    <60fps: Get stutter in narrow lanes as the scenery passes to quick and if you want to take a still imagine its blurred.
    >60fps <90fps: Smooth action, reasonable stills, easy to work with at process stage.
    >90fps <240fps: very smooth action, excellent stills, Takes a lot more space, really difficult/slow at processing stage.

Anyone have any ideas that maybe worth me trying? to get best footage and easy as possible processing stage?

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Re: Offroad motorcycle riding - Camera Settings and Mounts

What camera are you using? Also resolution, encoding and bit rate might be useful for the video nerds. Another thing which might be useful as a guide is a rough file size - mine are about 3GB for 25 mins for example. I expect to handle the best quality footage you'll be wanting a fast SSD scratch disc and plentiful RAM. Some idea of current system specs would be useful to see if there are any obvious hardware changes we can make.

Myself I use a Drift Ghost S on a side mount but the FPS is 60 at 1080 and I get the issues of poor stills. You can get tank mounts with vibration dampers but sounds like the helmet chin mount has you sorted. I'd also say this is probably best for safety as side and top mounts can be dodgy in an off. By the way, I use such an old camera as Drift have ruined their range and I'd never recommend one of their current cameras. Mine is glued and taped together and I'll run it until it dies an undignified death. It's fantastic when people try and squish me. Recently helped solve an insurance case in under 24 hours... because she couldn't lie after I sent her the footage.

Thread Information