Thread: Potential car change

Thanks

Potential car change

I've currently got a 1998 VW Passat Sport 1.9TDi (red eye) which I am thinking about changing for a 1994 1.8 MX-5.

The reason I'm thinking of changing is the amount of issues I've had with the VW. I bought it as I travel from Wigan to Manchester most days and needed something economical and comfortable, hence the large TD. However for the past few months I've had something gone wrong thats cost me and I heard the MX-5 is pretty much bullet proof (and their cheap!).

Does anyone here have or has had an MX-5? How economical are they? Are what are your opinions on them?

I dont have a family, so I dont Need the large car or boot. However I only work part time, so I cant have it if its going to cost a fortune.

What do you guys think, should I get one?
    Deep fried mushroom ears dipped in chocolate

Thanks
    All old cars will have things wear and go wrong... some are going to be more likely than others but to me thats a large part of knowing what look for when you get it..

can I ask what your budget is, how many miles the passat had done, and what went wrong with it?

Its like people say Japanese cars are more reliable, but the main dealer will still charge you (or rather my dad, on his last service in the warranty period) £12 per spark plug!

Thanks
    My budget is around £2500, basically around the value of the Passat.

I've have had the belt tensioner replaced, the upper and lower linkages on the near side replaced, now the off side's need replacing, the timing belt needs changing (and I've been told its expensive as they have to remove the bumper and grill etc...), service, problems with the MAF. I've got a couple of mates with Passats too, and there always moaning about stuff going wrong.

With only being in part time employment (full time education) I need something that's only going to cost me for petrol, not additional bills every month, hense the MX-5, I heard they were very reliable. I was thinking of a fun car this time round, rather than another diesel.

Thanks
    I've had a few MX-5's, and they're not that economical... bank on 35 mpg max from the 1.8i (on a steady motorway run), and driven hard you'll get low 20's. They're the most reliable cars I've ever owned though, so that should save you some money. If you want a fun car, then they're definately that, the boot space is a little tight but useable.

With your budget I'd get a 1989-1994 1.6i though - they're more powerful (116BHP) than the 1994+ 1.6i (90BHP) and go almost as well as the 1.8 - you'll get a few more MPG too.. I'd find a decent import (Eunos Roadster) as it will be in better shape, have more extras (Aircon for one) and will probably have much fewer miles. They're cheaper too, the only downside is the slightly more expensive insurance (but not much).

Look at www.mx5oc.co.uk, check out the forums, also www.mx5parts.co.uk is useful to see what you can get to spec it up.. Dandycars.co.uk used to have a useful insurance link too...

Hope that helps..
    http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Thanks
    Excellent, cheers James.

I was looking into the early 1.6 as I know like you said they de-tuned the 1.6 in 1993 when they released the 1.8.

Reet-o, I'm thinking I'm going to have to test drive one to make up my mind for sure, but your comments have really helped, cheers. :-D

Thanks
    If you haven't made up your mind then the test drive will... you'll know what I mean

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J4MES View Post
    If you haven't made up your mind then the test drive will... you'll know what I mean
    Well, you were right James...

I test drove an MG-F VVC (140bhp) and was un-impressed, didnt really thrill me in any way at all and didnt feel like a 0-60 in 7 seconds car in any way.

I found a 1994 1.8 MX-5 and took it for a test drive, I couldnt believe the difference, it was so responsive and comfortable, massively different to the MG-F. I put my deposit down and I'm picking the car up a week tomorrow (27/01). Spec as follows:

1994, 1.8 Eunos, Air con, brand new hood (to be fitted today), electric windows, full black keather, K&N, 105k KM (bout 70k miles).

I'll try and upload some picks soon...

Thanks

Thanks

looks sweet, getting an import was a smart move...

Thanks
    • MaddAussie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix Z370G
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700k (5.1Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • 500G 960 EVO NMVE
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1070
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM650i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide A1r 240
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell HD + Samsung HD
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon A View Post
    Well, you were right James...

I test drove an MG-F VVC (140bhp) and was un-impressed, didnt really thrill me in any way at all and didnt feel like a 0-60 in 7 seconds car in any way.

I found a 1994 1.8 MX-5 and took it for a test drive, I couldnt believe the difference, it was so responsive and comfortable, massively different to the MG-F. I put my deposit down and I'm picking the car up a week tomorrow (27/01). Spec as follows:

1994, 1.8 Eunos, Air con, brand new hood (to be fitted today), electric windows, full black keather, K&N, 105k KM (bout 70k miles).

I'll try and upload some picks soon...
    mmm sounds as if the VVC you test drove had a duff VVC unit I had one for 2 years and it was a hoot, Ive pissed off some TVR's round the twistys in my little MG, god I miss that car

Thread Information