• Alienware 7500
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" HannsG HG281D
      • Internet:
      • Virgin V.I.P. 60mb
    Well done gordy,

It's time some people grew up and smelt real life for a change. You can't compare building a system yourself to a prebuilt system with everything installed and up and running, customised. Oh and what sort of after sales service do you get from building a PC yourself? None! And dont try and tell me you can do it yourself because i don't believe for one minute that everyone on this forum knows exactly what they are doing with computers, i know i certainly don't.

So, as said, be polite, don't shout down someone trying to make an HONEST living for themselves, and trying being positive.

Stoo, yes this is primarily directed at you.

Ben
    =========
    NOTHING TO BE SEE HERE, MOVE ALONG PLEASE....

:: of all the things i've lost i miss my mind the most ::

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    I never said anyone was forcing anyone to buy anything, I was merely stating my opinion (last I checked that was still allowed).

I stated my case with the facts to back them up, if people want to buy SavRow systems then they are of course absolutely free to do so, but as I also previously stated I wouldn't be able to reccomend them with a true heart as I simply do not believe they are value for money.

If SavRow makes a profitable business all the power to them, but do not expect me to grovel in front of them.

BTW, we've had threads about Alienware etc in the past and pretty much everyone said they were a rip-off, how is this any different?

Oh and most of my previous comments were intended in a jokey manner (hence the smiley usage), but if anyone wants to rip into me for just being honest, well, there's a hand you can speak to..

I just guess I'm too honest to ever be a businessman..
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • Bunjiweb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte UD
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 3.6GHZ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 2950GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 550 Ti OC
      • Case:
      • Alienware 7500
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" HannsG HG281D
      • Internet:
      • Virgin V.I.P. 60mb
    no one wants to rip into u bud. It's just you didnt exactly take a realistic stance pricing up a similar system to one of the Savrow computers as u didnt take into account the building and testing costs, operating system and after sales service.

No one's asking you to grovel infront of Savrow but you have to realise these PCs are obviously built by hand and the customisation is time consuming etc.

Alien Ware has a much bigger operation, and isnt anything special apart from highly specced PCs.... The Cases arent even that great.

all we are asking is to be nice

Ben
    =========
    NOTHING TO BE SEE HERE, MOVE ALONG PLEASE....

:: of all the things i've lost i miss my mind the most ::

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    As I said in one of my first posts, good luck to them, but just don't expect me to reccomend them to anyone (certainly anyone I know, I want to keep my friends ).

If you're going to be charging that much for a system it really has to be the best money can buy, IMHO they just arent.

If you go to a Saville Row suit maker you know you are absolutly going to get the best suit that money can buy, the best quality fabric, for it to fit like a glove, the best quality stitch work etc etc.

If you're going to be spending over £2500 for a complete system I'd expect it to have *all* the top notch components money can buy, this means having a 9800 pro AIW, Audigy 2 or Turtle Beach Card, 17" TFT, Scanner, Printer etc etc, instead of the middle of the road components being used.

What SavRow appear to be selling is an M&S suit in a Saville Row Tailor bag, for some people that may be enough, but not for me to be able to wholeheartly recommend to anyone.

Even the finishing isn't what I would expect from something costing that much - http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?threadid=2199

As Caged said - "Crappiest cabling job I've ever seen"

If you're going to make "the world's most exclusive computers" I would take that to mean a lot more than charging a lot.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    Stoo,

Everyone is entitled to their opinions so I take exception at the bowing down to SavRow comment. I value your opinion and think that if given in a more constructive manner, it is very useful to us (as I said in my very first post).

I appreciate that the cabling on the Plutonium was sub par, but that system was assembled and dissasembled during I17 (you will note that it was not actually on, and it was a totally open case - with only the lights on).

From the feedback in the I17 event, we are currently looking into selling our keyboards separately, however this might be a couple of weeks away.

As for the comment regarding sub-par components, I think that isn't fair when we are one of the few SI's out there shipping the FX5900 Ultra, 19"-30" Flatscreen TFTs and PC4000 RAM.... But again you are entitled to your opinions.

On a final note, I think is it more constructive when the emotional element is cut a little and the ranting is toned down.

I thank everyone for their comments, I appreciate that these systems may not be right for experienced system modders, but as many of you said, that is not our market. Many people have told us that half of the fun of getting a new PC is making it and that is something I can identify with, but then again, not everyone feels the same.

Thank you all (including Stoo) for your comments, advice and well wishes. I think it would be great if you continued giving us feedback about what it is that you are looking for. Our system line may be targetted at the higher end (luxury), but we value our extreme system roots and would never imagine breaking with the community that helped us develop.

Thanks guys (and gals?), all the best

SavRow

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    Originally posted by SavRow
    As for the comment regarding sub-par components, I think that isn't fair when we are one of the few SI's out there shipping the FX5900 Ultra, 19"-30" Flatscreen TFTs and PC4000 RAM.... But again you are entitled to your opinions.
    Maybe not as standard but if you look around there are plenty of places that would certainly do it if asked, here's a quick example:

Scan 3XS "H" Series:
    Code:
    Base Specifications 

Coolermaster ATCS-TAC-T01 WaveMaster Aluminum Case 

431W Enermax EG465AXVE-G-FMA PSU 

Abit IC7-G i875P C/wood 800fsb DDDR400 1Ghz Lan 

1.44Mb Black Floppy Disk drive Panasonic 

Scan 3.5" Black Internal 6 in 1 Card Reader 

Coolermaster Aero 4 (ISB-V73) inc 3.5" Fan Adjuster 

IOSS RD7 System aftercooler 

System Configuration - Details confirmed at checkout 

Qty
     Selected Specifications 

4 4 x Coolermaster Internal Case Fans 80mm 

1 Coolermaster Prostudio sound proofing Kit for Case 

1 3GHz (PG-800FSB) HT Intel Pentium® 4 CPU 512k Cache 

1 Corsair TwinX 512 MB 3200 Low Latency ( 2 x 256MB PC3200 184 pin MATCHED PAIR DDR LLPT) 

1 250Gb Maxtor Serial ATA (ATA-150) (7200rpm, 8MB Cache)  

1 Pioneer DVD ROM 120 Tray x16 (40 CD) Dual Laser Pickups IDE  

1 Sony DWU-10AX DVD +RW (x2.4) +R (x4) -R (x4) -RW (x2) CDR(x24) CDRW (x10) CDRead x32 DVD x8 OEM  

1 256Mb Gigabyte ATI Radeon 9800 Pro DVI/TV DDR Retail 

1 Pure Digital (VideoLogic) SonicFury Xplosion DVD - Dolby 5.1/DTS/Dolby Pro Logic II  

1 MS Windows XP Pro OEM 

1 17" - TFT AS4315UT Analogue, DVI, OSD, SXGA 

1 Logitech Cordless Desktop Optical (Mouse & Keyboard) 

1 ADA890 Dolby® Digital THX-Certified Speaker System 

Net Total £2,238.01 
    V.A.T £391.65 

Total £2,629.66

The Hekate from Kustom:
    CoolerMaster WaveMaster Case
    DFI Lan Party NFII Ultra Motherboard
    AMD Athlon XP3000 Retail
    AeroCool Deep Impact DP101
    OCZ 512mb PC3200 Platinum DChan
    Maxtor DiamondMax 9 SATA 160Gb
    Samsung CD-RW DVD Alu Silver
    Pioneer DVR-106 OEM
    CoolerMaster Aluminium CD Bezel
    Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb
    Formac 1900 DVI
    SoundBlaster Audigy2 6.1
    JBL Invader 4.1 Speakers
    CoolerMaster Aluminium Keyboard
    Logitech MX-700 Mouse
    Windows XP Home OEM
    Antec TruePower 430
    System Build and Test

Total = £2280.94 ex VAT £2731.10 inc VAT

Even the recent Time PC as reviewed by Rys had better components (Okay apart from the case, the incorrect timings and an odd choice of DVD writer), and that was only £1800

Saying what you *can* include in a system isn't particularly relevent when comparing a system with another system - it's like comparing a Renault Clio to a Mini Cooper in a Car group test, and then saying "Ahh, but as we also sell Aston Martins, the Mini Cooper must be better" - if I was ordering the system from scan I could ask them to include dual Samsung 24" tft's in a system..

If you truely want to produce "the world's most exclusive computers" I'd say you have quite a bit more work to do.

My reaction was so extreme because of the extreme claims you have made about the systems, sure, they're good compentent systems, but nowhere near the claims made.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    Hmmm, I look at it like this, the PC's Savrow are doing are better than you'd expect from PC World, spec wise. Yep, they are in a very nice looking, professionally finished case and come with full tech support etc etc.

The price? Well, if you know naff all about PCs, or just want something that looks good and works straight out of the box then they fulfill those criteria. Is the price too high? I think so, but that's with an experienced PC builder's head on. Like I said, if you haven't got any idea how to put a PC together, and there are hundreds of people who haven't then peeps will probably go for these on spec and looks.

I suspect the main buyers of these will be peeps who have had a PC for a little while, have figred out what they want to use it for and know they want it to look good too. Also, they'll be expecting to pay A LOT for it.

If Savrow want to exploit that market, then good luck to them. I have to say I could build an equally specced machine for a fraction of the price, but then again, that's ME building it, no overheads to pay there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    • walibe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8P67B Pro
      • CPU:
      • iMac 2017
      • Memory:
      • 16 Gig Corsair Vegence
      • Storage:
      • 10 T.B Total
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvida GTX 755M
      • Operating System:
      • Mavericks / Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27"
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre
    2nd Aluminium cases do not provide any heat transfer through they case itself. Apart from two exceptions which are the Hush and tranquil pcs. This is a common myth and paint will not effect the cooling of a case.
    I would actually disagree there and tell you there is a slight advantage but I don't see paint making a HUGE difference.

Secondly if a companies going to charge £1000 to make a case look like a transformer they may as well use case wraps or some decent artists to create some of the stunning work that can be seen in the states. You have to offer a better looking case for the price, its really saying something when Alienware machines begin to look like value for money, you make that case look good with some case wraps and you could be on to something.

PJ
    Laptop - Macbook Pro Retina 13" (Early 2015) i5/8GB/256GB
    Desktop 1 - iMac 27" (late 2012) i7/32GB/1TB Fusion Drive
    Desktop 2 - i7 2600K/32GB/1TB/GTX 760
    Server - HP DL160 G6 2 x Hex Core Xenon x5650/64GB/8TB
    NAS - ASUSTOR 604T ATOM Dual Core/3GB/16TB

Thanks
    Originally posted by walibe
    I would actually disagree there and tell you there is a slight advantage but I don't see paint making a HUGE difference.

Secondly if a companies going to charge £1000 to make a case look like a transformer they may as well use case wraps or some decent artists to create some of the stunning work that can be seen in the states. You have to offer a better looking case for the price, its really saying something when Alienware machines begin to look like value for money, you make that case look good with some case wraps and you could be on to something.

PJ
    There is no advantage , you would need physical contact between the heatsink and the case which there isnt. Air is a bad conductor of heat so any advantage of using ally over steel is lost

Case wraps look cheap compared to a good paint job

Thanks
    • walibe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8P67B Pro
      • CPU:
      • iMac 2017
      • Memory:
      • 16 Gig Corsair Vegence
      • Storage:
      • 10 T.B Total
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvida GTX 755M
      • Operating System:
      • Mavericks / Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27"
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre
    good paint job
    Yeah but when you get a good artist in whos fantastic with the old paint, you can get some fantastic looking cases. What was that company that we discussed ovver on Kustom? Eagle something??
    Laptop - Macbook Pro Retina 13" (Early 2015) i5/8GB/256GB
    Desktop 1 - iMac 27" (late 2012) i7/32GB/1TB Fusion Drive
    Desktop 2 - i7 2600K/32GB/1TB/GTX 760
    Server - HP DL160 G6 2 x Hex Core Xenon x5650/64GB/8TB
    NAS - ASUSTOR 604T ATOM Dual Core/3GB/16TB

Rank Bajin
    Thanks
    I really admire SavRow for taking the risk and filling this niche market, and there obviously is one. I think that the prices are fair, for the amount of work that has gone into planning and building these machines, and im sure the after sales service is top notch. I like the combinations of paint and ally.

Are you actually based in London, is there a shop I can visit?
    The Caped Crusader :-)

Thanks
    Sorry for not getting back Headbrace. We are actually based in London. This is primarily a workshop, but its not too shabby and we do receive visitors here. We are based in Camden Town.

If you are interested in visiting, and there is a specific system you want to buy, we will be more than happy to demonstrate it to you and show you the finish etc.

Unfortunately because of the business interruption element, we can have curiousity visits so we depend on your honesty if you are interested in buying.

If you do have a specific system in mind and want a demo, contact Sales [at] savrow.com and someone will be happy to arrange a visit for you.

Thanks
    SavRow:

Do you do vapocool systems for dual Xeons?
    Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly. - Batman costume warning label (Rolfe, John & Troob, Peter, Monkey Business (Swinging Through the Wall Street Jungle), 2000)

Thanks
    Hi there,

Unfortunately, right now we don't know of any phase-change solutions for dual systems. We are currently looking into this. I think the solution most likely is going to be a watercooling system. However I do know that Asetek currently sell a chiller cabinet - not phase change but more air conditioning.

Hope that is helpful, if you know of any dual phase-change solutions, I'd be keen to find out more.

Thanks

Thanks
    2 compressors in one box

Thanks
    Originally posted by Caged
    2 compressors in one box
    Huh... That's a possibility, but people has to have it sitting somewhere and usually space is a constraint.
    Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly. - Batman costume warning label (Rolfe, John & Troob, Peter, Monkey Business (Swinging Through the Wall Street Jungle), 2000)

Thread Information