Thread: Flow restrictions using angled barbs

Thanks

Flow restrictions using angled barbs

Ive hear loads of stuff about angled barbs (especially 90 degree) being very bad news for the system, but i find i need to use a few in my rig to make sure there isnt too much stress on the waterblocks. How much of this is true - at the moment the right angle 'elbows' im using are around the pump inlet, but im thinking of putting one just after the outlet, what do you think? No difference?

Thanks
    Think of it as this. A car has to go round a bend, one is a a smooth curve one like you would find on a motorway. The other is a 90 degree bend like you would find at a junction turning right. Which would it go faster on?

Thanks
    Use copper elbows instead. if you use 15mm ones, almost no restriction

The pump inlet should also have as little restriction as possible - you really want the res straight to the pump. If theres restriction, pumping power is wasted to suck water in - this also has the effect of lowering the pressure of water in the pump,which makes it turn to vapor, which isnt good.

Thanks
    im a heating engineer an plumber and the common yorkshire elbows do have a restriction and quite bit ! if i had my old college books still i could give the proper numbers but i dont.
    u can get larger radius bends but they are harder to find as not as often used because there more expensive and not as neat

Thanks
    Thanks guys! I was aware of the issue but just wondered if anyone has put any in and actually noticed ANY real world difference?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by weebroonieuk
    im a heating engineer an plumber and the common yorkshire elbows do have a restriction and quite bit ! if i had my old college books still i could give the proper numbers but i dont.
    u can get larger radius bends but they are harder to find as not as often used because there more expensive and not as neat

Yep, they definatly do.. but not really enough to be bothered about... (imo).

Compared to the horrible blue plastic ones, which are sharp 90 degree bends, and 8.5mm ID (instead of atleast 12mm ID for the copper ones), I think you would agree much less restriction..

Thanks
    all depends on how serious u consider your flow rates

Thanks
    Also depends on the pump and how many 90s you use.

If you are using 1 or 2 I doubt its gonna make much difference but if you use 5 plus then its gonna suffer.

Dynamis at over-clock had some good results with 90s (wc on a YY Cube so restrictive space on mobo side) and a 1250
    .: Predator :.

- Shuttle SN25P - A64 3700+ San Diego @ 2.7GHz - 1GB PQI Ultra DDR - X850XT - Asus DVD-ROM - 200GB Maxtor + 2*80GB SATAII -

Thanks
    • Butcher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair 1866 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W
      • Case:
      • Big Black Cube!
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
    Depends how much extra tubing you'll need if you don't use them as well. You should try and use 45s rather than 90s if possible for a bit less restriction.

Thread Information