Thread: 7v modding a coolermaster LED fan?

dgr
    Thanks

7v modding a coolermaster LED fan?

7v modding a coolermaster LED fan?

hello

i have an antec 430w psu with a coolermaster blue rifle bearing LED fan. all other fans are on the fan connectors of the PSU, and they are extremely quiet. Exceptt he LED fan, which is to be frank, faaaaaaar too noisy for my liking.

I put the coolermaster LED fan on the fan connector (which adjusts voltage with dT/dt). THe problem was the LEDs wouldn't light up . Which was the whole point of the fan.

Just wondering if 7v modding the fan will cause the LEDs to light up or not?

dgr
    dothan 745 @ 2.4ghz | 2gb Corsair XMS (2-3-3-6) | dual raptors (raid0) | ATI 9700pro | CM201 | dual lg 1810

Thanks
    if you're not sure what a 7v mod is, its hardly a 'mod' as such, you just swap the pins around, and its totally reversable.

i had one of these fans, the LED's lit up pretty brightly at 7v, and they even were lit at 5v (but not nearly as bright obviously)

there are some LED fans that come with 2x connectors, so the LED's can have 12v, and the fan voltage is changeable withouth affecting the LED bright ness

dgr
    Thanks
    cheers cky.

I know what a 7v is, it just seems that everyone else refers to it as a mod. And anything that involves a soldering iron (or a 7v cable for the wimps) is a mod as far as I'm concerned .

dgr
    dothan 745 @ 2.4ghz | 2gb Corsair XMS (2-3-3-6) | dual raptors (raid0) | ATI 9700pro | CM201 | dual lg 1810

Thanks
    no need for a soldering iron

use a small jewelers screwdriver to remove the pins from the molex (on the fans molex) -or the 4 -> 3 pin converter's molex (depending on yur setup) and put the pins in the appropriate positions (go YELLOW,RED,BLACK,BLACK for 7v)

dgr
    Thanks
    ahhh

Thanks
    I have quite a few Coolermaster LED fans.
    These do not like even a very small drop in voltage - the fan runs fine but the LED's go very dim & I have also seen this reported on other forums.
    I find that the LED's on the AKASA LED fans are far better with a lower voltage.

Triple Ox
    Thanks
    My Blue coolermaster fan I got with my black Widow wont light up @ 7v....

Thanks
    may be to do with the circuit layout of the LED's. Blue LED's need at least 3 (ish) volts to even light, so if theyre in series then they may not light properly with a 7v supply. Maybe nothing you can do about it Im afraid, unless you change the LED's

dgr
    Thanks
    thats a pain, its quite a noisy fan...

cheers for the inf guys, i bought it over an akasa becasue i have a coolermaster201, coolerlaster cooldrive3 and all things coolerness.

and that the case fans were ultra quiet to begin with.

dgr

Thanks
    It is possible to run the fan at 7volts I have done it on loads of coolermaster fans before. The problem being that the LED's run dimmer this can be overcome with a bit of rewiring.

If you want to see how to do it and keep the leds running at full brightness there is a guide here in my project bad apple write up

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews...JsX3BhZ2U9NA==

Please note that coolermaster for reasons only known to themselves have different circuits for the leds on different colours of the fans so if you have none white ones things are slightly different. For bloo fans all the leds are in series so no resistor is needed

dgr
    Thanks
    excellent, cheers gordy!

Thanks
    Great post Gordy - very useful. At last my low voltage (running through a rheobus) CM Blue LED fan can have bright LEDs

madmaca.

1 wheel > 2 wheels > 4 wheels | My Photos

Thread Information