Thread: PS3 connection problems

Thanks

PS3 connection problems

Hi there, I'm having problems connecting my PS3 to my Pioneer plasma using an HDMI cable. The console worked fine using the component lead supplied in the box, but obviously not at full picture quality, so I wanted to switch to HDMI.

My TV only has one HDMI socket on the back (used by Sky HD box), so I bought a Vivanco HDMI 4 into 1 Switcher box. This works fine with the Sky box, but not with the PS3....the TV can't find an output signal anywhere.

Then I tried connecting the PS3 directly to the TV using a single HDMI lead, but it still didn't work.

I've tried changing the output lead option to 'HDMI' using the PS3's on-screen settings menu, but can only access this with the machine connected using the AV component lead. When I select 'HDMI', it checks but doesn't recognise the option.

Help!! Anyone got any bright ideas? Am I missing something very obvious? Is it possible there's a problem with the HDMI lead – it's a Belkin Pure AV lead?

Thanks
    • Barrichello's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4790 (3.60Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2 x (250GB) Samsung 840 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce GTX 770 (DC2OC 2GB GDDR5)
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750HX
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • Linux/Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ XL2720T
      • Internet:
      • 100MB/100MB
    Quote Originally Posted by media116 View Post
    Hi there, I'm having problems connecting my PS3 to my Pioneer plasma using an HDMI cable. The console worked fine using the component lead supplied in the box, but obviously not at full picture quality, so I wanted to switch to HDMI.

My TV only has one HDMI socket on the back (used by Sky HD box), so I bought a Vivanco HDMI 4 into 1 Switcher box. This works fine with the Sky box, but not with the PS3....the TV can't find an output signal anywhere.

Then I tried connecting the PS3 directly to the TV using a single HDMI lead, but it still didn't work.

I've tried changing the output lead option to 'HDMI' using the PS3's on-screen settings menu, but can only access this with the machine connected using the AV component lead. When I select 'HDMI', it checks but doesn't recognise the option.

Help!! Anyone got any bright ideas? Am I missing something very obvious? Is it possible there's a problem with the HDMI lead – it's a Belkin Pure AV lead?
    update your machine online first and you will be fine. I used composite first to get it all set up and updated, then pluged it into the 42" with hdmi and was fine.

Atari Falcon 030
    Thanks
    • bigblue's system
      • Motherboard:
      • K8N
      • CPU:
      • X2 4200
      • Storage:
      • 250 Gb WDC
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 7900GT
      • PSU:
      • Tagan Modular 430W
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC 20WGX2
      • Internet:
      • BT Yahooseless
    ...The console worked fine using the component lead supplied in the box, but obviously not at full picture quality, so I wanted to switch to HDMI...
    I'm maybe asking a daft question but by "full picture quality" do you mean 1080p ? And if so, is your plasma the 5000ex?
    Last edited by bigblue; 27-04-2007 at 01:10 AM.

Thanks
    Hook up both set of leads and then switch from to the other through the PS3's display options... then flick your TV over to the HDMI input.

If you're running tough some kid of switching box, try it without the box to see if it works.

Is the switcher box auto-sensing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks

PS3 connection problems

Thanks for the helpful suggestions everyone.

So far I've been unable to connect my PS3 with the internet. I use an Apple Mac airport system and the ISP is Demon. The PS3 is finding the wireless network but is not connecting. So I'm obviously doing something else wrong.

My plasma is the Pioneer PDP-436SXE

Someone else advised me to call the Sony Careline, and suggested that I'd missed out a step when initially setting-up my PS3. Anyone got any experience of that service?

Atari Falcon 030
    Thanks
    • bigblue's system
      • Motherboard:
      • K8N
      • CPU:
      • X2 4200
      • Storage:
      • 250 Gb WDC
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 7900GT
      • PSU:
      • Tagan Modular 430W
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC 20WGX2
      • Internet:
      • BT Yahooseless
    So have you sorted the HDMI problem now ?

Thanks
    Yes thanks, got the HDMI working now and the picture quality is superb!

No luck with the internet yet though. I think I might try wiring it directly to my router. The Sony Careline suggested that my Apple Airport wireless system was not compatible with the PS3, which means that I won't be able to establish a wireless connection. To be honest, though, I don't think they were really sure!

Anyone on here got any Apple/PS3 connection experience?

Thanks

Question

No luck with the internet yet though. I think I might try wiring it directly to my router. The Sony Careline suggested that my Apple Airport wireless system was not compatible with the PS3, which means that I won't be able to establish a wireless connection. To be honest, though, I don't think they were really sure!

How did u manage to get the display?
    I have also posted a thread but mine is slightly different from yours. Please see my thread and put in some suggestions . Mins is a HDMI to DVI prob. Will really appreciate it. Thank you
    http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.p...=1#post1149991

Thanks

Re: PS3 connection problems

Dont know if you have fixed your airport issue but this is what i had to do to fix it. I am using an airport extreme and was using a wep encryption on it. Once i switched over to WPA everything was working fine. Just a pain in the butt to do.

Thread Information