Thread: Nintendo NX & Future

Registered+
    Thanks

Nintendo NX & Future

I'm sure many of you know about the NX, Nintendo's upcoming console to replace the failing Wii U. And recently I saw a quote from Nintendo Boss Satoru Iwata saying that the console would once again be an entirely "new concept". Which got me thinking about what the fans desire for the future of Nintendo.

Of all the console companies Nintendo is my favorite, and I want to support them. But I don't want to buy a console aimed at casual gamers. Personally I would prefer Nintendo to step back from the gimmicky interface / control scheme they currently use and focus on games made to be played on a traditional game pad.

Additionally, In the future Nintendo also plans to release games on the phone market (which I think is a great idea).

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

Re: Nintendo NX & Future

I've only ever owned 2 consoles, the SNES & Wii, I really liked both and only wished I'd given more time to the Wii than I actually did.
    The biggest failure of the Wii was the lack of HDMI. I could never get it looking quite right on my TV, it suited one of my old PC monitors far better.

In my view Nintendo made a big mistake in literally killing the original Wii when Gamespy went under.
    Even back in the NES + SNES days, they still made NES games after the release of the SNES and both were looked after until the N64. They should have supported the Wii alongside the Wii-U for longer, looking at the number of the Wii-U shipments they've missed out on a large sum of money that could have been made from the original Wii. The fact that both the xbox 360 and PS3 are still supported shows keeping 2 at the same time is lucrative and well worth it.

Anyway I don't think the Wii-U is that gimmicky on controls, you do not need the Wii-U gamepad to play games, it does just complement them if you have it. Though I think its quite a nice touch, its like the original Gameboy only more tablet sized. When the TV is being used by someone else you can still play a game whilst Westenders is being shoved down your neck. Everyone will have a different opinion on that as its down to lifestyle. But you can buy the console without the Gamepad should you wish, its not a necessity.
    Even though I like the Wii-U more than the Wii technically, because Nintendo chopped off the Wii I lost faith in them so have yet to get a Wii-U. Mario Maker is really tempting me, especially seeing some of the advanced levels people are making.

If I'm honest all I really and have ever wanted from a console experience is Platformers, they are best on a console. All that hand gesturing, 3D, Virtual Reality is a waste to me, the route xbox and Playstation will inevitably take - perhaps with Nintendo trying something else.
    If the NX is backwards compatible with both the Wii and Wii-U then it would be a good console to get. If its radically new and different it would have to have an amazing launch line up to grab my attention.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

You can get a cheap Wii to HDMI converter on Amazon/ebay.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

I am very interested to hear what the new console will be like but having not purchased a Nintendo console since GameCube (which I didn't use much) I am not holding my breath for anything game-changing.

Part of me thinks that their "new concept" will be something along the lines of a dockable handheld or games that work across home and mobile platforms. Mobile has been where Nintendo have shown strength, it would make sense to build of your strengths.....and there isn't much room for them to muscle into the PS4/XB1 arena.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • virtuo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 64Gb G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3600 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent 2TB PCIE4 NVME + NAS upon NAS upon NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX 3090 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2 Grey
      • Operating System:
      • RedStar 3, Ubuntu, Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung CRG90 5140x1440 120hz
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet's best, but still poor, attempt

The amount of R&D and investment that would go in to a console that'd go head-to-head with the ps4 and XB1 (as well as PC) doesn't seem like a likely route for Nintendo to take. Specially since they'd be hoping for a slice of a rather saturated market, with a 3+ year delay to make up.

I do think their best bet would be a "GameCube 2", no gimmicks, just a competent console and rely on their decent library and franchises to pull in casual gamers and the younger generation.

And on that thought, they do seem like they could go the way of SEGA and just license their games out and not worry about hardware (other than handheld which they still seem to be pretty strong in).

I only briefly considered a WiiU to play Mario Kart with the Mrs, but we still have a normal Wii hooked up (via component cable at 480p, generally looks alright on a 1080p screen, specially if there's not much text to read) which we can still play MK Wii on.

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    You can get a cheap Wii to HDMI converter on Amazon/ebay.
    I did try this however it simply meant I could plug it into a HDMI port. It didn't improve the picture at all, I had hoped for some upscaling but I think the Wii just wasn't up to it. It wasn't Even 720p if I recall. Something like 576.
    As much as I hate to say it my friends Xbox 360 looked stunning on my TV.

It would be good to see some sort of better tie in with the 3Ds, e.g. the device could be used as a controller for NX games, or secondly project its games onto the big screen via the NX and the NX controller could then work for 2 player on the 3Ds
    Last edited by AGTDenton; 19-01-2016 at 06:25 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

You don't know what you're missing! Mario in HD is amazing. It's just a few years late! Especially multiplayer mk in HD

Thread Information